News Dylan Grimes and Toby Nankervis announced as captains for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody who thinks it will 'turn out fine' are thinking so through faith and hope, rather than any measurable rational criteria.

There are questions which need answering.
And what’s your rational knee jerk response wise one , the fact we are only a month from season proper suggests we didn’t rush into it and went thru a process , the fk you need answers , the Squad elected these two that’s good enough for me ,I imagine they’d be very popular and respected choices

Anybody who thinks it will 'turn out fine' are thinking so through faith and hope, rather than any measurable rational criteria.

Why?
Just because we have never done it before doesn't mean it hasn’t got value

Others have mentioned Sydney who have been using multiple captains for over a decade and won two flags and been in multiple deep September finals campaigns using it

By reading everything the club has put out the process was extremely extensive and the decision wasn’t arrived to on a whim

And what’s your rational knee jerk response wise one , the fact we are only a month from season proper suggests we didn’t rush into it and went thru a process , the fk you need answers , the Squad elected these two that’s good enough for me ,I imagine they’d be very popular and respected choices

Why?
Just because we have never done it before doesn't mean it hasn’t got value

Others have mentioned Sydney who have been using multiple captains for over a decade and won two flags and been in multiple deep September finals campaigns using it

By reading everything the club has put out the process was extremely extensive and the decision wasn’t arrived to on a whim
Unfortunalely there is always going to be sooks who don't agree with club decisions no matter who they would have picked for our leaders. It's a time for unity which won us our last three flags instead of going back to dark old days of pointing fingers and playing the blame game.

Last edited:
I get 95% of posters going along with the narrative, but was it a team decision? What were the perameters? Were we looking for dual captains (and why) or was it a tied vote?

Benny Gale announced 'Dual Captains' as if it was unexpected and not planned.

Was it a deadlock of votes that drove them to co-captains? Or a prefered leadership model?

Whats the deal?

We deserve answers.
They said on 7 News it was a blend, a combination.
A team decision plus internal processes.
There would have been a pool of candidates, then those candidates presumably did written tests.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i hate losing bets
better get started on the jack graham sucks thread :(

What then is your definition of 'turn out fine'. Tell me all about your 'measurable rational criteria'. Seriously as if it is going to make or break this magnificent team. Club checked out what insiders thought, club put together and discussed all these opinions, club chooses two captains instead of one. Big f**ing deal. The sky ain't falling and neither are the Tigers. Great choice of differing personalities that will combine beautifully, there you go, that's 'my measurable rational criteria'.

Seriously think people are underestimating the predecessor. Been there for a long time and outrageously successful.
Simplest way I can think of putting it is Cotchin has 4 feet not 2 in terms of leadership qualities and experience. He’s the very best of the best.
How many normal people does it take to fit 4 shoes?

Dylan Grimes was an obvious one. Would have been nice to see Jack Riewoldt as a co-captain, but Nankervis is not a bad choice either. He’s very much an on-field leader anyway.

I don’t mind the co-captains thing. We’ve had so many injuries to our captain over the years that we may as well have two.

Jack is too emotional to be a captain. He is a great leader tho.

Have no issues with the call, its an interesting one going with the duals. But a captain that growls is something the club needs right now. Has been questions behind our younger players hunger & commitment to training and off-field stuff. Cotch was always mr nice guy and that worked well when we were winning. Nank will rule with fear, Grimes with the calm, mature head.

a typical Good Cop/Bad Cop situation

Jack is too emotional to be a captain. He is a great leader tho.

Have no issues with the call, its an interesting one going with the duals. But a captain that growls is something the club needs right now. Has been questions behind our younger players hunger & commitment to training and off-field stuff. Cotch was always mr nice guy and that worked well when we were winning. Nank will rule with fear, Grimes with the calm, mature head.

a typical Good Cop/Bad Cop situation
Imagine being the poor 1st year player who gets confronted my Nank for not training hard enough 😂

was kane cornes part of the selection committee if not why not ??

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dylan Grimes and Toby Nankervis announced as captains for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back