Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't watch enough GWS games to be sure, but I'd guess his role this year where he was responsible for less clearances but more delivery inside 50 might have caused that. At Hawthorn it hasn't been unusual to find Smith tagged and the clearance players let go, so might be a similar thing. Where do you look up tagged stats? I wonder if he was tagged less last year compared to Kelly when his role was different and he was getting more clearances.

Clangers are not ideal for what you want to measure because I think they include free kicks against, so a player that takes the game on and gets more HTB against looks worse here even if their kicking is ok.

In any case, I think stats undersell Shiel because of how many guns GWS share the load over. Wouldn't be surprised if he wins more AAs at Essendon, depending on how you choose to use him.

Purely from watching games and websites which indicate which players have been tagged.

I was purely responding with evidence to carlton posters that his clanger to kick ratio was poor. I provided evidence comparing apples to apples to show its not a good stat to use if your trying to talk him down.

Id say Shiel takes the game on just as much as any of those mentioned

I think GWS had more guys to go through the centre stoppage this year compared to other years. Coniglio a full year and Taranto Hopper both had big step ups due to increased time share in there

Last edited:
And Connors would have said ok he stays and you’ll get possibly pick 15-18 as compensation when he joins club of his choice next year. Plus you can reduce your cap by giving away another player now.

As if Shiel would make a decision for the next six years of his life based on a few draft picks. You’re dreaming. He picked Essendon over Hawthorn, get over it.

You were probably sloppy seconds which is what pretty much everything about the way this played out says. Get over it. You were in the right place at the right time with the right picks to satisfy GWS, and that allowed Shiel to fall into your lap. It is natural for Essendon fans to want to believe he only had eyes for them. That's why he didn't nominate Hawthorn publicly while he waited to see if they could get a deal done, its a bad look to have to publicly admit you've gone with a second choice. Its also why some very well informed people thought the decision was coming "tomorrow" for several days in a row before it actually happened.

This wasn't about Shiel's decision, I don't think he would make HIS decision on a few draft picks. But he didn't have that much control if he wanted to get out of GWS this year. GWS was in the drivers seat, and probably they had a fair idea to what degree Shiel really wanted to leave this year versus hang around for a year.

If Connor did as you suggest it is entirely possible GWS would have known he was bluffing and that Shiel wanted to go this year. Also, the Giant fans posting in this thread all tried to tell us the cap problem wasn't anywhere near as bad as the media suggested which if true also takes away any other leverage any of his suitors would have had. If they really could fit him in if they had to, or he really did want to go this year then GWS had all the cards and could force Shiel to go where they wanted if a deal was to be done this year. For them the fallback position if he didn't like where they wanted him to go, and stayed at GWS may have be fine for them if the cap wasn't that bad. They keep a gun mid for another year while in a very solid flag window. Hawthorn fans underestimated GWS's hand up until he nominated Essendon, and you are doing the same now.

In any case, you got him, we didn't, and that trumps any details about who he picked first or second.

You were probably sloppy seconds which is what pretty much everything about the way this played out says. Get over it. You were in the right place at the right time with the right picks to satisfy GWS, and that allowed Shiel to fall into your lap. It is natural for Essendon fans to want to believe he only had eyes for them. That's why he didn't nominate Hawthorn publicly while he waited to see if they could get a deal done, its a bad look to have to publicly admit you've gone with a second choice. Its also why some very well informed people thought the decision was coming "tomorrow" for several days in a row before it actually happened.

This wasn't about Shiel's decision, I don't think he would make HIS decision on a few draft picks. But he didn't have that much control if he wanted to get out of GWS this year. GWS was in the drivers seat, and probably they had a fair idea to what degree Shiel really wanted to leave this year versus hang around for a year.

If Connor did as you suggest it is entirely possible GWS would have known he was bluffing and that Shiel wanted to go this year. Also, the Giant fans posting in this thread all tried to tell us the cap problem wasn't anywhere near as bad as the media suggested which if true also takes away any other leverage any of his suitors would have had. If they really could fit him in if they had to, or he really did want to go this year then GWS had all the cards and could force Shiel to go where they wanted if a deal was to be done this year. For them the fallback position if he didn't like where they wanted him to go, and stayed at GWS may have be fine for them if the cap wasn't that bad. They keep a gun mid for another year while in a very solid flag window. Hawthorn fans underestimated GWS's hand up until he nominated Essendon, and you are doing the same now.

In any case, you got him, we didn't, and that trumps any details about who he picked first or second.
Hawthorn fans literally invented a back story to excuse why Shiel isn't coming to them, but they're telling us to get over it? This gift just keeps on giving

Hawks just need to accept that he picked Essendon over the hawks for what has been reported maybe slightly unders/similar money.

For me why Shiel picked Essendon 9ver the hawks:

* Feels he could be the missing piece to the side (Gee that would be a good feeling)

* Sees huge upside in the club i think we lost 1 game less than Richmond in hlthe back 14 rounds of the season

* Our list profile of being younger and we mustve presented well. Guys like Heppell, Fantasia and Zac Merrett are really great love able characters let alone Devon Smiths word.

I think our list profile and age and quality youth was the main reason and he obviousily thinks we are closer to success than the hawks, blues and saints.

He could be wrong he wouldnt be the first to get it wrong. I consider myself a pretty unbiased supporter and even i feel we have a great list. There will be plenty of quality kids doing time in the 2nd next year and i feel they will be hard to maintain in 12 months time.

It had nothing to do with whether hawks could get the deal done or not any whether his manager or himself thought that. No player thinks of that they intend on getting to their club of choice if that doesnt happen then why wouldnt he be happy with plan B in the bombers. The argument doesnt stack up.

I have no doubt we slightly imoroved our offer once Setterfield and Jack Martin were off radar.

You were probably sloppy seconds which is what pretty much everything about the way this played out says. Get over it. You were in the right place at the right time with the right picks to satisfy GWS, and that allowed Shiel to fall into your lap. It is natural for Essendon fans to want to believe he only had eyes for them. That's why he didn't nominate Hawthorn publicly while he waited to see if they could get a deal done,
Ah no, Essendon fans do not believe he had only eyes for us. I think he genuinely was contemplating at least a couple seriously. You seem to think Hawks was first choice with no evidence to back it up, just made up crap. Then you tell us to get over it!

Good luck to GWS getting this deal done.

Dodoro will try & palm off a second rounder for him. Absolute worst club in the land to deal with

So terrible we got 3 trades done last year with little fuss ...
Saints fans should worry about how much they are giving up to a cooked Hanners as a salary dump from Sydney

0722FF90-B166-45D6-95FA-C22E8D615FD3.png

Do you actually believe the wank you write ?

People talking as those this will be difficult, Shiels has asked to move to Essendon, and the Giants need to free up salary cap space, they are limited because taking players potentially makes it harder to keep the existing list together so the Giants will probably see trade picks or a fringe or very young player that wont cost much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting situation. Will go to the wire. Supposedly gws in dire cap straights. May have to trade him. Who blinks first? Pretty confident it will be gws and pick 9 by itself.
We'll give a little more than that to maintain a good relationship with the Giants, who gave us a great deal last year with Devon Smith.
I have a feeling we will offer Michael Hartley as 'steak knives' also, since the Giants appear short of KP defender depth.

Possibly he was equally stoked with both clubs. In good faith he let GWS negotiate with the hawks and the bombers to explore the best deal for his old club to which he still holds loyalty. The Dons have been quiet in house, but the hawks were leaking to the media. Is that why the hawks appeared like favourites to the gullible masses?

We'll give a little more than that to maintain a good relationship with the Giants, who gave us a great deal last year with Devon Smith.
I have a feeling we will offer Michael Hartley as 'steak knives' also, since the Giants appear short of KP defender depth.

I would be open to that but it comes back to how much can the Giants afford.

No, the bit where I said you were sloppy seconds was a lie to make you feel better. You were probably sloppy thirds after Carlton refused to cough up their #1 pick. Explains why there was strong mail it was Hawks, then strong mail it was Carlton, then right at the last minute "Oh hang on a minute, Essendon have a shot at this". Basically his management team going down his list of preferences until they hit the one that was most likely to satisfy GWS.

No, the bit where I said you were sloppy seconds was a lie to make you feel better. You were probably sloppy thirds after Carlton refused to cough up their #1 pick. Explains why there was strong mail it was Hawks, then strong mail it was Carlton, then right at the last minute "Oh hang on a minute, Essendon have a shot at this". Basically his management team going down his list of preferences until they hit the one that was most likely to satisfy GWS.

He apparently accepted less to come to Essendon tells me that he just chose Essendon over the others, maybe as I wrote earlier in this this thread, he chose Essendon simply because he already has a mate there and everyone likes to work where they know they have a mate.

D16521A3-294B-4E5D-BD01-C591BCCAFFFE.gif

God bless you man , hope you get the help you need .

He apparently accepted less to come to Essendon tells me that he just chose Essendon over the others, maybe as I wrote earlier in this this thread, he chose Essendon simply because he already has a mate there and everyone likes to work where they know they have a mate.

Yeah that's possible. Or he was contracted and GWS would only let him go to a club with a top 10 pick they were willing to part with. We'll probably never know for sure either way, and everyone will believe what suits them best.

This is getting sad now.

Don't worry, man. You'll eventually go through the four other stages of grief.

Yeah that's possible. Or he was contracted and GWS would only let him go to a club with a top 10 pick they were willing to part with. We'll probably never know for sure either way, and everyone will believe what suits them best.

So you guys didnt want to trade 2 first for a top 10 pick to get Shiel. Instead miss out on him?

It would be 'interesting' to know average words per post for this guy - I reckon in the workplace he would be the one that is still talking to you 5 minutes after you have left his office.

Is it so difficult for Hawk fans to simply accept that Shiel didn't want to go there as his first choice and that's why he nominated Essendon?There's no conspiracy here. If Shiel wanted to go to Hawthorn he would have nominated them and trusted them to work something out.

Making up convoluted theories out of thin air or based on Hawk fans supposedly ITK just makes you look envious. Anyone with a lick of sense would take any trade rumours with a grain of salt until the player announces where he wants to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Back