Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

we used a first in '16 so I can't see how it could be an issue.

Not an issue now, but once you go 17/18/19 without one it limits your options down the track.

It's a consideration, not a show stopper. Shiel is a gun, I don't get why people talk him down.

Will LOL if they end up switching back the picks they exchanged last year.

Ess 9, 34, 2019 1st
GWS Shiel, 25, 2019 2nd

or

Ess 9, 34, 2019 2nd
GWS Shiel, 2019 3rd

Gotta get as many moving parts involved as possible.

I would expect Essendon to be better next year even without Shiel. Daniher back in and for an up and down year they still won 12 games from memory. If it ends up being pick 9 + pick 11-14 next year then that's a Shteal.

lets face it, no-one here really knows how this all played out....but it is pretty clear that there is no point nominating carlton or hawthorn, who both were in with a big chance....if they cant get a deal done with GWS....Ess had the best pick on offer....id say they will have upped there initial offer $$ when it became clear that Car / Haw deals were not happening....announcement made

its not rocket science....if SOS had been prepared to trade pick 1, then i bet he would have 'nominated' carlton....if Hawthorn had pick 4 on offer, he may have chosen them....
FFS ... can we stop with the crap idea that Shiel was negotiating for GWS and what picks they would get for him.

bullshit.

Both were pre-listed players for expansion clubs. Shiel has done a hell of a lot more in his career than O'Meara. Yes he's been injured but that's really beside the point.

On the evidence Shiel is the better player and it's not even a debate.

The evidence says Shiel has had a better career, which is pretty obvious when JOM has spent half his career in recovery from his knee problems. If you look at JOMs back half of this season after he finally had some continuity, JOM was a better player than Shiel over that period and JOM is still on an upwards trajectory. Was second in our Brownlow voting behind only the winner of the medal. Getting Shiel would have been amazing because of how good our top 2 already were. Will do wonders for your midfield next season. Would like to say I was looking forward to watching him play, but I'd be lying.

FFS ... can we stop with the crap idea that Shiel was negotiating for GWS and what picks they would get for him.

Shiel didn't have to do that. GWS were quite capable of negotiating that outcome themselves.
Hypothetically:
Shiel:"I'd like to go to Hawthorn please."
GWS:"No you're contracted, you'll go where we tell you to go or you'll stay put".
Shiel:"Oh ok, what about Essendon?"
GWS:"Good choice".

Not saying that is definitely what happened, he might have chosen Essendon first anyway, but if GWS wanted to control which picks they got, I don't see why that isn't what they'd do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will LOL if they end up switching back the picks they exchanged last year.

Ess 9, 34, 2019 1st
GWS Shiel, 25, 2019 2nd

or

Ess 9, 34, 2019 2nd
GWS Shiel, 2019 3rd

Gotta get as many moving parts involved as possible.

I would expect Essendon to be better next year even without Shiel. Daniher back in and for an up and down year they still won 12 games from memory. If it ends up being pick 9 + pick 11-14 next year then that's a Shteal.
You want to marry Essendon

You're so far off the mark on his kicking it isn't funny. If anything his kicking is underrated due to being prone to the odd shank.

You don't become a top 5 GA player in the comp whilst having "innefectual kicking"

59% kicking efficiency, drops to 51% in finals, very high clanger:kick ratio.

I've watched Chris Judd post-groin issues for years (i.e. his Carlton time) - I see the exact similarities in Shiel. Bursts a pack, hits a target lace out 1 or 2 times a game, everyone boners up over how good his kicking is, but by and large it's ineffective.

Barely 6 out of 10 kicks counted as effective for Shiel and that is with what is considered a reasonably loose definition for 'effective'.

Stats back up the eyes.

59% kicking efficiency, drops to 51% in finals, very high clanger:kick ratio.

I've watched Chris Judd post-groin issues for years (i.e. his Carlton time) - I see the exact similarities in Shiel. Bursts a pack, hits a target lace out 1 or 2 times a game, everyone boners up over how good his kicking is, but by and large it's ineffective.

Barely 6 out of 10 kicks counted as effective for Shiel and that is with what is considered a reasonably loose definition for 'effective'.

Stats back up the eyes.

Disposal Efficiency is a horrible metric for kicking ability. I don't see how a bloke who's omw od the best at hitting up forwards to kick goals can be considered largely innefectual.

The coaches also disagree with you as Shiel is the most tagged player at GWS over the last 2 seasons. Why would the coaches tag a bloke who is innefectual?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Back