Eade's Performance for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Acker I think the brutal honesty of your Eade review will not be taken well with the fanboys in this board.

While I agree with what you said, your assessment on the club's trades is too harsh. Hudson and Hall have had fantastic 2010 seasons, Welsh and Aker have been serviceable to say to the least. And may I ask you how we got Callan Ward?

Bazza neither of them attempted to answer the original posters question ..this is a football forum everyone has the right to ask a question (love them or hate them)

It's not up to those two to decide what questions/posts suit them on the forum

I wanted you to answer the questions, which is what I posted.

What we received was one of the most uninformed pieces this forum has seen, while some of your points could possibly have some merit to delve through it and find it amongst the rest of your ramblings is a task beyond me.

I wanted you to answer the questions, which is what I posted.

You wanted me to answer the questions but you didn't ?

Be a man or even a dog and answer the friggin questions, rather than just trying to explain how you want others in the forum to suck eggs to your liking.

Forget the coach, maybe we overate our group and they are just not good enough to take the next step

Alternatively he left Sydney in 2002 and without much trading the same group of players won a Premiership in 2005

So maybe it may be more of a case of forget the players we overate our coach and he is just not good enough to take our side to the next step.

You wanted me to answer the questions but you didn't ?

Be a man or even a dog and answer the friggin questions, rather than just trying to explain how you want others in the forum to suck eggs to your liking.

I really have no idea to the answers of more than half those questions and generally when I give an opinion I like to have some fact to what I post, but you obviously have no such values and what we get is the drivel you produced.

Eade has been a good coach for us...yet ultimately this year he failed.

Anything less than a grand final after two prelim loses in a row is a fail.

Collingwood finished 4th last year, we finished 3rd.

Malthouse gets a tick, Eade gets a cross. Simple as that for me.

If we don't make that Grand Final next year its time for a change.

Eade has been a good coach for us...yet ultimately this year he failed.

Anything less than a grand final after two prelim loses in a row is a fail.

Collingwood finished 4th last year, we finished 3rd.

Malthouse gets a tick, Eade gets a cross. Simple as that for me.

If we don't make that Grand Final next year its time for a change.

I see that as overly simplistic.

For 2010 we ran into real trouble with the health of the list.

Collingwood and St Kilda both had full lists to choose from.
Note the difference in the performance of Pendlebury in the replay after he was crook in the first GF.

For finals we were missing Cooney and Higgins and had plenty of others playing sore.

Eade has been a good coach and had a hiccup in 07 due to late season injury and again in 2010. He has been at the helm 6 years. Malthouse has won a flag with Collingwood in his 11th season and at a club with much better resources than available to Eade.
There is far too much over-reaction.

I want a flag as much as anyone, but sometimes you need to be a little patient and just perservere.

Yes my view is a little simple yet I dont believe collingwood had a better list than ours this year.

Yet as a team they are far better in many areas. So their coaching staff preformed better than ours this year. Granted injuries didn't help yet it wasn't the reason we didn't make the GF.

I also dont believe in having coaches year after year. There are enough candiates out there so for me Eade must get them up to a GF this year or someone else gets a turn.

Eade sits in the box swearing and going off his brain all game every game.

How can anyone get their message across if they behave in this manner?

Eade has his favourites who are under absolutely no pressure whatsoever to perform because they know they wont get dropped.

Cannot take us any further.

Up until this year I have been a real fan of Eade's. I would rate his first 6 seasons: 9, 7, 7, 7, 9, 5

The coach is rated on what he gets out of the available talent and the effectiveness of the team's game plan. In 2005, Eade turned a poor performing team around in a hurry, several players really picked up their game, and by the end of the season, we had all the finalists afraid of facing us. He was a revelation.

Reality set in 2006, as the other teams took us a little bit more seriously and whilst the game plan was still causing teams problems there were equally signs that our method lacked a defensive edge.

2007, our height and ruck deficiencies could no longer be hidden by an innovative game plan. Some major changes to the list.

2008, we gave it a serious shake, but it would prove to be the year one L.Franklin almost singlehandedly lifted a good team to win a flag.

2009, another preliminary, we outplayed the Saints in that preliminary and Eade must be applauded. He gave us every chance. We moderated our attacking ways and added a real hard edge to our defensive methods.

2010, I can cut Eade some slack. The sudden decline of Johnson and Aker together with the associated circus which this attracted made it very difficult .
However, there are also signs of concern. Collingwood has clearly left us and the remaining 14 teams for dead with their game style.

As others have pointed out, the selection of injured, poor performing older players this season has left a sour taste in my mouth. The management of Johnson, Higgins, Aker, Everitt, Hill, Hahn, Callan, Minson and Eagleton was bewildering. Not only does it raise questions about the MC and its selection process, it equally raises concerns about the competence of our medical and conditioning staff.

It is a very subjective observation but I believe fewer players performed to their potential this year than any previous year under Eade.

There are signs we are softer in our intensity, tackling, 1%s, accountability but we did suffer a number of injuries late in the year which together with all the other distractions, for me, lets Eade off the hook a little.

But I am concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post Yebiga. I pretty much agree with that.
Eade has been one of the better coaches in the AFL and has done our brand an awful lot of good. He also got us into three successive PFs which no one has achieved before at this club (we never even made the old "final four" three times in a row).

I share your concerns about player management and selections Yebiga. It's hard to know what other factors were at work in all this but it's a big question mark over Eade in my mind.

Eade didn't have a lot of luck with injuries and sub-par performances from key players in 2010. We can't blame him entirely for that.

The challenge for a long serving coach is to continually innovate and stay ahead of the other 15 or 16 coaches. He tried some new things this year (eg defensive techniques) but none of them seemed to have a great effect or be startling successes. So although he's a good coach we may have gone as far as we can with him.

I hope I'm wrong because I don't think we're getting anyone else in 2011!

Our trading strategy this week will probably be his last real chance to shake things up. I'll be watching with interest.

Up until this year I have been a real fan of Eade's. I would rate his first 6 seasons: 9, 7, 7, 7, 9, 5

The coach is rated on what he gets out of the available talent and the effectiveness of the team's game plan. In 2005, Eade turned a poor performing team around in a hurry, several players really picked up their game, and by the end of the season, we had all the finalists afraid of facing us. He was a revelation.

Reality set in 2006, as the other teams took us a little bit more seriously and whilst the game plan was still causing teams problems there were equally signs that our method lacked a defensive edge.

2007, our height and ruck deficiencies could no longer be hidden by an innovative game plan. Some major changes to the list.

2008, we gave it a serious shake, but it would prove to be the year one L.Franklin almost singlehandedly lifted a good team to win a flag.

2009, another preliminary, we outplayed the Saints in that preliminary and Eade must be applauded. He gave us every chance. We moderated our attacking ways and added a real hard edge to our defensive methods.

2010, I can cut Eade some slack. The sudden decline of Johnson and Aker together with the associated circus which this attracted made it very difficult .
However, there are also signs of concern. Collingwood has clearly left us and the remaining 14 teams for dead with their game style.

As others have pointed out, the selection of injured, poor performing older players this season has left a sour taste in my mouth. The management of Johnson, Higgins, Aker, Everitt, Hill, Hahn, Callan, Minson and Eagleton was bewildering. Not only does it raise questions about the MC and its selection process, it equally raises concerns about the competence of our medical and conditioning staff.

It is a very subjective observation but I believe fewer players performed to their potential this year than any previous year under Eade.

There are signs we are softer in our intensity, tackling, 1%s, accountability but we did suffer a number of injuries late in the year which together with all the other distractions, for me, lets Eade off the hook a little.

But I am concerned.

Good post.
I agree with the concerns about playing blokes who it appeared were not right and the predictability of our team each week, due to preservering with some poor performing players a bit too long.
I think the Coaches/Medical staff stuffed up playing Johnno early in the year and seemingly bringing him back when clearly not right on more than one occasion and whoever made the call that Higgins was right to go for the 1st final whether it was the Coaches or the Medical team or both, certainly got that one wrong.
Hard to judge from an outside perspective of course but our injury management of players worried me also.

I believe like many other people here that this will be Eade's last year unless we make a Grandfinal. I know the list is perhaps not in a position to do that however change is needed and a new direction will be a catalyst for future success.

I don't think you can simply say that if we don't make the grand final Eade should go.
Personally, I try to judge the coach on whether a: he is getting the best out of the available talent. b: are younger players coming thru and improving c: the effectiveness of the game plan.

In my book Eade has had one bad year out of 6 - this one. There were many and varied extenuating circumstances. Lets see what he does this next 12 months.

He will no doubt trade Everitt and Hill this week. If they go one to have much improved seasons and realise their large talent, there will be many of us, including me, baying for blood. For now, he is Eade is the boss and I will stick with his judgement.

and I believe to date, he has earned our good will.

It's not up to those two to decide what questions/posts suit them on the forum

Apparently it is acker - didn't you see the inference in Coon Dog's earlier post about not knowing what goes on in the inner sanctum? If you do know, then you are so much better than everyone else, and no-one else is allowed to question anything.

My point stands. This just presents an opportunity for uninformed individuals like yourself to have a crack at the coach!

Last time I looked, this was a public forum to comment on all aspects of the club. Obviously you don't understand the functionings of a "forum". And please, regale us (yet again, yawn) about how so informed you are that you are such an authority on everything. I disagree with probably about 50% of stuff written on here, but unless it is outright abuse, I defend each poster's right to post it as they are expressing an opinion, regardless of whether it is based on their perception or an inside knowledge.

Last time I looked, this was a public forum to comment on all aspects of the club. Obviously you don't understand the functionings of a "forum". And please, regale us (yet again, yawn) about how so informed you are that you are such an authority on everything. I disagree with probably about 50% of stuff written on here, but unless it is outright abuse, I defend each poster's right to post it as they are expressing an opinion, regardless of whether it is based on their perception or an inside knowledge.

Everyone has the right to post their opinions but others (especially those who know better) have just as much right to call those opinions biased, unfounded or outright uninformed.

TCD was completely right in his appraisal of the questions in the O.P., they would require either inside knowledge or clarevoyance to be answered properly and they also encourage internet heroes with an axe to grind to lambaste our coach on things they know very little about. It's fine to post an opinion on the perceived gameplan/tactics of a coach but how the hell would you or I know how Eade manages or fails to manage a player behind closed doors. At that point all a person is doing is guessing at best and defaming at worst. On this basis The Coon Dog was right to question the validity or benefit of such a thread, especially when it comes to being constructively critical.

Basically, free speech entitles every person to voice a viewpoint but does not preclude those viewpoints from being called bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eade's Performance for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back