Review Swan Bake - encore performance (Round 20)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's balls by both Bevo and the list management team to recruit a fringe player from a team that was a bottom team last year, and who was already a mature ager when recruited the first time round (so argument that he already had his "mature ager" bonus of extra effort in his first year/two), believe that he was being played out of position, and recruit him and make him such a key piece of a finals team. You don't make a push for top 4 without taking risks like that, but this seems like a well-researched, calculated risk that has paid off, which makes more sense the deeper it's analysed but at surface level just looks ridiculous.

In case people have forgotten, Bramble was only selected in the starting 22 for 8 of 23 games for the Hawks last year while being fit for the whole year for a team that went 7-15 and finished third last, and was delisted to make way for younger players as they were pushing their way up.
That is quite amazing, given what we are seeing now.
If you nothing about footy and you watched his last 10 games , you would be convinced he is a star of the game.

It's balls by both Bevo and the list management team to recruit a fringe player from a team that was a bottom team last year, and who was already a mature ager when recruited the first time round (so argument that he already had his "mature ager" bonus of extra effort in his first year/two), believe that he was being played out of position, and recruit him and make him such a key piece of a finals team. You don't make a push for top 4 without taking risks like that, but this seems like a well-researched, calculated risk that has paid off, which makes more sense the deeper it's analysed but at surface level just looks ridiculous.

In case people have forgotten, Bramble was only selected in the starting 22 for 8 of 23 games for the Hawks last year while being fit for the whole year for a team that went 7-15 and finished third last, and was delisted to make way for younger players as they were pushing their way up.
Genuine Oleg Markov vibes with Bramble.

Delisted by a non finals team, becomes a vital cog in getting speed on the ball out of the D50 the following year.

Yes it was ballsy but there is a recent precedent.

Watching the replay again now,

Very impressed by Poulters game think we might have finally found our left footed wingman
He's starting to use his height in games too which just makes us so dangerous when the ball is in the air.
We're the tallest team in the AFL and it might be the first time I've ever been able to say that.

He's starting to use his height in games too which just makes us so dangerous when the ball is in the air.
We're the tallest team in the AFL and it might be the first time I've ever been able to say that.

It was very noticeable yesterday. Poults stood under a few high balls and got a free cause the smaller wingman couldn’t spoil him legally. Will only get more dangerous as he gets stronger, has a big frame.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Join us mate, what's the worst that could happen?
Sad Season 3 GIF by Rick and Morty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very nervous about all of the unbridled confidence in this thread.

Have we learned nothing?
I'm enjoying the wins without worrying way too much about the possibility of it leading to a flag (or good finals positions). If enjoyment from footy is only measured in the meta-analysis of how this leads to finals chances rather enjoying the wins for what they are, footy can get very depressing pretty quickly.

It's good to win. This makes a finals chance that much more likely, and going to finals are fun.

That's really all there is to it!

One thing which has been evident the past 3 weeks is the 1%ers. Smothers, blocking and something which caught my eye is the tap or knock ons to advantage. The latter is especially important in this age of minimal prior.
David King highlighted some great footage of Libba, Williams and McNeil all laying blocks that allowed Ed to get some space from the heavy Jordon tag which resulted in an early goal.

One thing which has been evident the past 3 weeks is the 1%ers. Smothers, blocking and something which caught my eye is the tap or knock ons to advantage. The latter is especially important in this age of minimal prior.
What's even now surprising was in the first quarter, Darcy was setting that tone. Massive effort from a guy who, by now, must be 209cm

Wtf was he doing with that Lobb 50 metre penalty?? I was baffled, meanwhile the Sydney crowd had blank faces as if they had no idea what was going on (they probably didn’t).
I think I know what he was doing but I’m not exactly sure of the rule. Lobb took the mark on the wing/ hbf area. If you take a mark at the other end of the ground the umpire will take you back on a line through the mark and the centr of the goal line. Because we play on an oval shaped field Lobbwent back along the boundary line which at that area curves in. The Swans player thought this meant Lobb was moving in board and a play on call should have been made.
When the same mark is taken in the forward line and the player is back against the fence on the line set by the umpire he is not allowed to follow the boundary line around and must just take a shorter run up.
That’s my take on his reasoning.

Coaches Votes

Sydney v Western Bulldogs​

10 Adam Treloar (WB)
7 Liam Jones (WB)
7 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WB)
2 Ed Richards (WB)
2 Matthew Roberts (SYD)
2 Tom Liberatore (WB)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Swan Bake - encore performance (Round 20)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back