Eagles the greatest?

Remove this Banner Ad

G
Yep.

It's historical revisionism at its finest to draw a line after 1989 and mark 1990 as the "beginning" of the AFL.
- The league had 12 teams from 1925 to 1986.
- The VFL/AFL became the national comp and expanded to 14 teams in 1987

The only thing which changed from 1989 to 1990 was the logo & name of the comp. EVERYTHING else was the same.
Nobody cared about the name change. It was a non-issue.

AFL era (1987-2018 inclusive)

Premierships
7 Hawthorn
4 West Coast
3 Geelong, Brisbane
2 Sydney, North Melb, Adelaide, Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton
1 Richmond, W.Bulldogs, Port Adelaide

Grand Finals
9 Hawthorn
8 Geelong
7 West Coast
6 Sydney, Collingwood
4 Brisbane, Essendon, Carlton
3 Adelaide, St Kilda, North Melbourne
2 Port Adelaide, Melbourne 2
1 Fremantle, Richmond, W.Bulldogs 1

Finals victories
28 Hawthorn
27 Geelong
25 West Coast
22 Sydney
19 Collingwood, North Melbourne
18 Melbourne, Adelaide
17 Brisbane
16 Essendon
14 Carlton
11 Port Adelaide, W.Bulldogs
10 St Kilda 10
6 Richmond, Fremantle
3 G.W.Sydney

Finals Series
22 West Coast
21 Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney
17 Essendon, North Melbourne
16 Collingwood
15 Adelaide
13 Carlton, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs
11 St Kilda
10 Brisbane, Port Adelaide
7 Richmond, Fremantle
3 G.W.Sydney
God Hawthorn are great side wow, after seeing this. West Coast are good but a long way to go

Nah, West Coast are a great club. A perennial power. You don't stay down for very long.

You'll give the flag a shake next year with Naitanui back at 100% fitness
Yeah man the worry is Josh Kennedy he is reaching the end of his glorious carrier and we will need to get Tim Kelly in. The Hawks have us all shaking, I just know Clarko is planning something, that man is a genius. I just know he has something up his sleeve

If have to excuse our cross town rivals mate, they are used to no success hence they have to pot West Coast all the time
I see the old off-season bumping-fest has started. Please God, send me a hobby so that once the Tigers' season's over I have something to do other than read BigFooty. Maybe let me win Lotto so I can travel to far away places...

If you consider overall performance since the start of the AFL era: winning percentage, finals appearances, and of course flags, you could make an argument for WC being the greatest, but as Hawthorn has 5 vs our 4 I don't mind conceding that title to them. Over the journey we've been the most consistently competitive, seldom missing finals. Sometimes I think our success has led to entitlement among supporters, though mind you when you won in 2006 I was 20 years old, and 1994 seemed a long time ago, being 8. Can't imagine being like a Dogs, Saints or Dees supporter.

Perth Wildcats are also the best team in the NBL, and the Glory didn't do too badly. We did well in the Sheffield Shield too back in the day. WA/Perth franchises tend to do well...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And what, 27 GF losses? Lol. Early days of the VFL especially was just an amateur league anyway.
Off the top of my head, Harmes OOB, Rocca goal, Maynard free makes it 18 wins and 24 losses and 4 flags in the AFL era.

I’ll get shot down for the above comment, but it works both ways if people want to talk about our GF losses without consideration of how a few of those losses came about.

Off the top of my head, Harmes OOB, Rocca goal, Maynard free makes it 18 wins and 24 losses and 4 flags in the AFL era.

I’ll get shot down for the above comment, but it works both ways if people want to talk about our GF losses without consideration of how a few of those losses came about.

Yes but my point is a 1 in 3 GF win rate makes the premiership a 'cake walk' lol.

Btw even there was a free kick against Maynard, which is very debatable, there was still 2 minutes on the clock. We could easily have won still.

If you consider overall performance since the start of the AFL era: winning percentage, finals appearances, and of course flags, you could make an argument for WC being the greatest, but as Hawthorn has 5 vs our 4 I don't mind conceding that title to them. Over the journey we've been the most consistently competitive, seldom missing finals. Sometimes I think our success has led to entitlement among supporters, though mind you when you won in 2006 I was 20 years old, and 1994 seemed a long time ago, being 8. Can't imagine being like a Dogs, Saints or Dees supporter.

Perth Wildcats are also the best team in the NBL, and the Glory didn't do too badly. We did well in the Sheffield Shield too back in the day. WA/Perth franchises tend to do well...
WA teams do very well I agree.
It's interesting because there are so many metrics people use. Flags are the ultimate goal but there is plenty of fan enjoyment and success that comes outside of that too. Even winning games is some metric of success.

There are people who have been alive for a long time that have seen their team win premierships in this league well before the AFL era. I don't think they discount that success just because the league expanded to include more teams from interstate. If that was the case we may as well only consider from when GWS joined the league!

My point is success to the Eagles fans looks different to success from an Essendon supporter who's been following the game for 75 years. Success prior to the AFL era doesn't just become erased because new teams joined the league. So many different measures, I think success is a huge combination of premierships, finals, grand finals, wins, minor premierships, players, player awards, etc. All those things can bring enjoyment to the fans and really that's what the game is about.

I look at Richmond since 2013. Only one premiership, but 6 finals appearances, a number of finals won, a minor premiership, a few top 4s, lots of games won, some Brownlow medallists, Coleman medallists, seeing a lot and producing a lot of AA players.

Only one flag, but as a fan I consider the last 6 years or so a huge success. That extends well beyond just a premiership, so much more has been achieved.

Last edited:
4 flags since 1987 when the national comp really began.

Winning four - having to come across the country to do it - is surely the most successful club?

I know Hawthorn has won seven, but West Coast having come from the west to do it?

Some people will say “state team” but it’s not as though Adelaide have done the same.
How can you overlook Hawthorn?

Yes but my point is a 1 in 3 GF win rate makes the premiership a 'cake walk' lol.

Btw even there was a free kick against Maynard, which is very debatable, there was still 2 minutes on the clock. We could easily have won still.
Song should then be, ‘All the H&A seasons are a cake walk’ lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles the greatest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back