Economic downturn will sink boot in to clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Economic downturn will sink book in to clubs

Why cant we point out inflated membership figures?

Just pointing out that your club is far from adverse to some interesting membership accounting and that perhaps it wouldn't be a great argument for you to start because of that.

...if anyone says the pet membership thing, that isnt actually counted in our membership.

Been to the gym lately?

Just pointing out that your club is far from adverse to some interesting membership accounting and that perhaps it wouldn't be a great argument for you to start because of that.

Club membership is always shown as ticketed and un-ticketed. Both types mean revenue for the club, we don't over inflate anything, we show it as it is.

How does that negatively affect your bottom line given they're away games? If anything, it would boost attendance to your home games in Melbourne.

It doesn't affect the bottom line, just stated that the Dogs didn't have a "gifted" draw.

Our attendance is actually pretty good, our problems are that the deal with our home ground is a shocking deal, we have more people attend home games than Brisbane do, yet we make a tenth of what they make per game, so we have to go out and sell home games, we don't want to do that, but those are just the harsh realities.

Yes i know, thats the deal we had "given" to us when we were struggling from the AFL [THE BULLDOGS DID NOT DO THE DEAL], yet now we have found our feet again, and are making serious in roads, we get held back from the Testra Dome, in effect, the AFL know they stuffed us up back then, not giving us a good chance of striving down the track.

Two years in a row we have made a decent profit, imagine that profit if we had a similar ground deal than other clubs!!!!!!!, plus with a decent deal, we would not have to sell the 2 home games.

Either way, until the day we get to negotiate a better deal, the AFL will have to keep pumping money into the club, and you know what, if other people hate that, stiff!

It doesn't affect the bottom line, just stated that the Dogs didn't have a "gifted" draw.

It was in the context of you being able to make money - so it's really only the home draw that's relevant. And it wasn't bad at all for you guys last year.

LOL at the comparison between you guys and Brisbane. Charge $50 a ticket like they do and you might make money.

Good point. On the other hand, on a nationwide basis Sydney -v- C'wood or B'bane -v- C'wood might improve ratings in either of Sydney or Brisbane but the sentimental clash would improve ratings everywhere.

Simply untrue.

Bulldogs v Saints has sentimental appeal primarily in Melbourne and to a lesser extent in the other football states. I hazard a guess that people who worry about there perennial failures outside of Melbourne are in pretty short supply.

The 2 highest rating GF's of all time are Sydney v West Coast x 2. The only other GF to rate (nationally) more than 3 million viewers is Sydney v North. Notice a common thread?

GF's in Melbourne, Perth & Adelaide always rate pretty well. Brisbane & Sydney bring the larger number of "swing" viewers - the ones who will watch only if the local teams are involved.

Oh and better list? funny, we came third and challenged geelong in the prelim.

Yet you haven't beaten us in years. You won't win a flag with that list, ours is far better positioned for a tilt.

There is a reason north are under more media pressure than us, you guys havent got any new long term income streams, and the AFL in the past have mentioned that they prefer our bussiness plan to melbournes and yours and are more committed to supporting us.

They'd want to be committed to supporting you given how much you demand off them.

I notice its only because of North's pressure that you bludgers are going to get a decent stadium deal at the Dome.

As always, North innovates, other clubs benefit.

And now we get the big stadium deal whinge from Footscray.

I remember when you signed that deal and Smorgon was gloating about what a good arrangement it was because you'd never lose money on a game again.

And you do get a good draw: why in God's name do you deserve all those Friday night games?

This would be the same Friday night market that North broke and developed.

And now you are going to get a better stadium deal on the back of North's hard work.

This is why we are, and always will be, in a better position than the Bulldogs.

We do stuff, we innovate, we develop things. Footscray just stands around waiting for the handout.

Hence why they've only got one flag and don't look like winning another any time soon.

It was in the context of you being able to make money - so it's really only the home draw that's relevant. And it wasn't bad at all for you guys last year.

LOL at the comparison between you guys and Brisbane. Charge $50 a ticket like they do and you might make money.

Mate, we could charge $100 a ticket and still won't make money!

However, the TD would be laughing all the way to the bank.

What is it, $18 adult for TD games? that doesn't affect me ,i'm a paid up SC 17 game member every season, but for a decent seat, and not up in the clouds, it can cost something like $40 - $50 per game at the Dome for the general public.

Hahaha.....sweetleftfoot my deluded friend

Come swing by WO anytime you wish and marvel at our 25 million development.....and then venture past that Arden st toilet block north train at.

After you have completed those tasks go dig yourself a reasonable size hole for you and your beloved football club

btw you truley are a hilarious poster....better position :D

This argument, and the recent trend it represents between supporters of the clubs at the 'pointy end' of the merger/relocation debate saddens me.

Until fairly recently, there has been a kind of brotherhood between such teams, mutually supporting each others right to exist, and the measures taken to do so.

Now it seems you're scrambling over each other to point at the other team saying 'them first'. I can only put this down to a growing acceptance that *some* team is likely to go and desperation that it wont be yours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, we could charge $100 a ticket and still won't make money!

However, the TD would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Ah yes, the 'guaranteed income' deal Smorgon signed a couple of years ago when you were an ordinary side.

TD must be laughing.....'You only get one Smorgon in your lifetime'. Talk about buying high, selling low.

Ah yes, the 'guaranteed income' deal Smorgon signed a couple of years ago when you were an ordinary side.

TD must be laughing.....'You only get one Smorgon in your lifetime'. Talk about buying high, selling low.

I echo your sentiments there Rob.

I'm a little unsure of the timeline regarding when Smorgon signed this deal.

Was it before Campbell Rose arrived or not?

Does anyone know when the Bulldogs deal expires at the Dome?

Hahaha.....sweetleftfoot my deluded friend

Come swing by WO anytime you wish and marvel at our 25 million development.....and then venture past that Arden st toilet block north train at.

After you have completed those tasks go dig yourself a reasonable size hole for you and your beloved football club

btw you truley are a hilarious poster....better position :D

So what? You sucked up Howard's arse a few years ago and got your redevelopment ... and managed to antogonise the other parties in the process.

In two years time, we'll have our redevelopment finished and:

You'll still be taking more off the AFL than us

You'll still be cannabilising your own community with pokies

You'll still be getting less off your major sponsor than we get off ours

You'll be looking to 'rebuild' your mediocre list again.

In every possible way, you are worse off than us. Every possible way bar getting your redevelopment a bit earlier than us.

This argument, and the recent trend it represents between supporters of the clubs at the 'pointy end' of the merger/relocation debate saddens me.

Until fairly recently, there has been a kind of brotherhood between such teams, mutually supporting each others right to exist, and the measures taken to do so.

Now it seems you're scrambling over each other to point at the other team saying 'them first'. I can only put this down to a growing acceptance that *some* team is likely to go and desperation that it wont be yours.

I support every melbourne teams right to exist.

I just find it amazing that Footscray supporters don't recognise that they get more off the AFL than us, get less from their major sponsor than we do and make less money.

We know where we stand in all this.

Seems to me there's a lot of Footscray and Melbourne supporters who seem somewhat deluded as to the reality of the situation.

And now we get the big stadium deal whinge from Footscray.

I remember when you signed that deal and Smorgon was gloating about what a good arrangement it was because you'd never lose money on a game again.

And you do get a good draw: why in God's name do you deserve all those Friday night games?

This would be the same Friday night market that North broke and developed.

And now you are going to get a better stadium deal on the back of North's hard work.

This is why we are, and always will be, in a better position than the Bulldogs.

We do stuff, we innovate, we develop things. Footscray just stands around waiting for the handout.

Hence why they've only got one flag and don't look like winning another any time soon.
Funny, funny stuff keep the jokes coming. hahaha

Its not my fault if people are so simple they can't move past the received wisdom that North are going to die. Seriously, I've been hearing it every year since I was 5 years old.

Reasons why North are better placed than Footscray.

ON FIELD

4 flags to 1

Have beaten them in our last 5 encounters.

Better, more balanced list.

OFF FIELD

Take less off AFL

Secured more lucrative major sponsorship

Recorded higher profit.

God, even a few weeks ago Smorgon was out telling us how Footscray would die there and then if they weren't allowed to screw over their own community with pokies.

I just find it amazing that Footscray supporters don't recognise that they get more off the AFL than us, get less from their major sponsor than we do and make less money.

We know where we stand in all this.

Seems to me there's a lot of Footscray and Melbourne supporters who seem somewhat deluded as to the reality of the situation.

*sigh*

"I support every melbourne teams right to exist."

Then on with sledging other teams because 'they don't accept reality and realise we're better than them'.

and the cycle continues....

*sigh*

"I support every melbourne teams right to exist."

Then on with sledging other teams because 'they don't accept reality and realise we're better than them'.

and the cycle continues....

What? I do support them. In fact, I'm actually freaking doing them a favour here.

If Footscray keep swanning along believing - mistakenly - that they are safe and its poor old North who might be in the gun, then they are sadly wrong.

And its also about combating this image that North are perenially at deaths door. We're not now and we're improving.

These are the facts: of the three Melbourne teams that take AFL money, we take the least. We made the highest profit. We have the best short and medium term on field future.

I'm not wanting to dump on other struggling teams, but I REFUSE to let the lies about North's position continue unchallenged.

This is a key aim for the club now: get the message across that we are not perpetually crisis hit and that people should committ and join up.

And if that means pointing out that other clubs are worse off than us, then so be it.

FFS - I've given the Dogs money before and bought their memberships.

I don't want them to go anywhere.

But I won't allow falsehoods to be propagated that traduce my club and its future.

There are plenty out there including a few in the media that have little doubt one or Melbourne clubs will go and they will do size with an AFL size nine on their back.

That being the case it will become club vs club to survive.

As has been reported before a number of clubs would be happy to see less teams in Melbourne.

BTW why does any club have a right to exist?

Did South Melbourne? Did Fitzroy?

I guess unless you really understand the situation's, people are just going to try & sink the boots in, and thats probably fair enough.

Without Smorgon, and without Cambell Rose, the club was destined to be in the scrap heap, at the time when David took over with his "taskforce" at the end of season '96, it was all about survival for the club, whats the best for the club to try & finally dig itself out of a hole etc, and from the club has been, even that in itself was a huge thing to try & achieve.

Many people say, Footscray should have just folded blah blah blah, should have been kicked out blah blah blah like Fitzroy, but did Fitzroy REALLY fight like Footscray have done time & time again?, it was them who wanted to take us over, not merge, for them survival wasn't the key, but to try & strive without having to survive first, and look what happened!!!!

They tried the easy fast track option than really doing the bloody hard work.

We had our hands tied when WE HAD TO SIGN, was all about survival AGAIN, now, the club is probably in it's strongest positon since the 50's when Footscray topped the membership ladder in the VFL, higher than Collingwood etc.

The TD laughing? my word they are....NOW, but not back then, now we are finally starting to strive and not survive, finally the club is standing up, 20Mil re-development, the Edgewater development, membership numbers around the 31,000 mark consistantly [hopefully edge past 32,000 after a strong 2008].

For now, the club won't make money on the stadium deal, but has posted a trading profit 2 years in a row of over half a million, we make around a million on our two home interstate games.

The TD deal right now isn't going to be the survival of the club, those days are over, but just holding us back until that deal is finished, then the club can finally start making serious in roads.

Everytime i answered your questions Rob, well, i made your statements questions, you just came back with more crap, rather than acknowledging what i had to say, pretty easy that way isn't it, and just shows that you might know whats going on, but really, you don't champ.

What? I do support them. In fact, I'm actually freaking doing them a favour here.

If Footscray keep swanning along believing - mistakenly - that they are safe and its poor old North who might be in the gun, then they are sadly wrong.

And its also about combating this image that North are perenially at deaths door. We're not now and we're improving.

These are the facts: of the three Melbourne teams that take AFL money, we take the least. We made the highest profit. We have the best short and medium term on field future.

I'm not wanting to dump on other struggling teams, but I REFUSE to let the lies about North's position continue unchallenged.

This is a key aim for the club now: get the message across that we are not perpetually crisis hit and that people should committ and join up.

And if that means pointing out that other clubs are worse off than us, then so be it.

FFS - I've given the Dogs money before and bought their memberships.

I don't want them to go anywhere.

But I won't allow falsehoods to be propagated that traduce my club and its future.

Whilst Footscray are by no way out of the woods in terms of merger/relocation, they at least have some strategic importance for the AFL, something that North don't.

There are plenty out there including a few in the media that have little doubt one or Melbourne clubs will go and they will do size with an AFL size nine on their back.

My own view is that the AFL would like to see that but hasn't worked out how to make it happen without facing public outrage. These things are cyclical: sooner or later, as with Fitzroy and South, the music will stop and one club will be left without a chair.

The AFL is playing the music right now, but it wont forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Economic downturn will sink boot in to clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back