Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

If I were to (as a high profile public figure) say "I hope Serena Williams gets hit by a bus before her match because I have a big bet for her opponent to win" it would also be a stupid statement but may also draw the reaction of 'DOMESTIC VIOLENCE' VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN' 'SEXISM' etc.

You may merely describe it as semantics but I daresay that with respect to domestic violence there's a world of difference between hoping someone gets hit by a bus (something out of your control) and actually offering to pay to drown a woman yourself or jump on a drowning woman.

Somebody please remind me. Who was the last bloke about whom it was suggested that they should be drowned? "The Parrot" Jones suggested it about our first female Prime Minister, and now two gutless, entitled, white male presidents of under achieving clubs have suggested it about a female sports journalist. But no similar "banter" about any blokes? This bloke's club does not deserve an AFL women's team. Spot the hypocrite, Eddie; and spot the spineless wonder, Gillon.
How is that relevant at all?

You seem to view them talking about a woman. Others view them as talking about a journalist. Yes it was an ugly thing to say.

If I were (as a high profile public figure) to say "I hope Messi gets hit by a bus before this game because I have a big bet against Barcelona" it would be a stupid statement.

If I were to (as a high profile public figure) say "I hope Serena Williams gets hit by a bus before her match because I have a big bet for her opponent to win" it would also be a stupid statement but may also draw the reaction of 'DOMESTIC VIOLENCE' VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN' 'SEXISM' etc.

The context of my statement viewed Serena as an elite tennis player. Other people may reduce this elite sports person to their gender.

Viewing and defining professional women by their gender does them a disservice. Unfortunately there seems to be a large amount of people of both genders very willing to do just that.

If an AFL president came out and said he hoped Gerard Whately killed himself during a week targeted at depression in men; or an AFL president said that Adam Goodes should help promote King Kong during a week promoting Indigenous rights; or an AFL president came out and said he hoped a woman drowned during a week aimed at raising awareness about domestic violence against women, all of those things would receive the same reaction.

I left out the word us, he said a few of us wish he didn't come back up. That would mean himself didn't want him to come back up. He said it with a laugh and everyone thought it was a great joke that people wanted Robbo drowned.
Still he wasn't advocating that anyone actually ensure it.

There is serious history between Wilson and McGuire ..they don't like each other ..and frequently take shots at each other ...do you get what I'm saying here they dislike each other intensely...and Eddie just handed her ammo ...she's not in fear of her life ...she's now got the upper hand in there feud and will milk this for all its worth ....she's not liked by the clubs ..neither is that flog purple or robbo for that matter...
Just imagine the outrage if he was constantly calling for her to be sacked because she's out of touch and failed at her job ....oh the outrage at the sexism of it all
Funny how no one says anything like that about her constant attacks on his credibility

So it begs the question can only men be sexist ...because if that's the case that doesn't sound like equality to me

What's the history between Wilson and Frawley, Brayshaw and Carey then?

Somebody please remind me. Who was the last bloke about whom it was suggested that they should be drowned? "The Parrot" Jones suggested it about our first female Prime Minister, and now two gutless, entitled, white male presidents of under achieving clubs have suggested it about a female sports journalist. But no similar "banter" about any blokes? This bloke's club does not deserve an AFL women's team. Spot the hypocrite, Eddie; and spot the spineless wonder, Gillon.
I think you'll find it was Frawley not McGuire or Brayshaw who made that particular comment. May want to get your facts right there knackers..

I understand it very well. I'm relying on logic and facts, not regurgitating some feminist diatribe that popped up on facebook or in the Age/Guardian and has been debunked by real Economists.

You gave a false circumstance that doesn't exist. You proved nothing. The complexity is in the lies you are trying to pose as the truth.

Using your assertion, women are privileged in the work place, they get paid leave by a private business for getting knocked up, a personal decision.

Check their privilege?
Women per capita receive less income in Australia. That by definition is not a position of privilege. Indisputable.

What's the history between Wilson and Frawley, Brayshaw and Carey then?
Carey wasn't really part of it but Caro is one of the reasons he was sacked from the media when his domestic violence and other behaviour ended his stint at 9, Danny just got caught up in the blokey behaviour although there could be something from when he was Richmond coach and Brayshaw it's the North-Gold Coast thing.

Robbo went down last year and Neale Daniher said something like " I think a few of wish he didn't come back up". Where's the outrage?

Because Neale Daniher and Robbo clearly get along.

We are talking about saying this sort of thing about someone you don't like, that you don't have a friendly relationship with. The joke is on them, not with them.

Women per capita receive less income in Australia. That by definition is not a position of privilege. Indisputable.
They EARN less income. They can very well receive the same as or more than men if, as the other poster pointed out, they make similar decisions.

So from now on radio callers can only have a jab with men. Or shouldn't at all. And we should also remove chocolate and strawberry flavoured yoghurt from the store, because vanilla from herein.

I just don't see it. I'm sorry. Perhaps that makes me sexist then. As for gender, are you sure this was about gender? I listened to that segment live in the car and thought it was okay. I knew immediately, however, it would come under fire.

I kind of don't get it though. Was is because Caro is female or because she is the almighty journo with the biggest pen in the business. Caro has built a brand and credibility around herself not represented by her gender, in my opinion at least. Personally, I think it belittles Caro to even be having this conversation. Does she really need the defence?

If you replaced Caro with Robbo would be still be having this conversation? No. Of course not. So that means that we can give Robbo a hard time, but not Caro because she's female. But we want equality for men and women. Most of the time, when it suits. I get that we do not want to condone violence against women, however I personally did not see it that way.
Ed doesn't have the same relationship with Caro that he does with Robbo.
Yes, he was pissy at Robbo for the story in round 1. The feud with Caro has been going on for a long while. and he overstepped the mark with it.

Also, why ask if it had been robbo. Why not ask why didn't he say it about Robbo?

Carey wasn't really part of it but Caro is one of the reasons he was sacked from the media when his domestic violence and other behaviour ended his stint at 9, Danny just got caught up in the blokey behaviour although there could be something from when he was Richmond coach and Brayshaw it's the North-Gold Coast thing.

So Carey was sacked for issues with domestic violence and behaviour, and that makes it ok for him to advocate.. violence against a woman? Christ almighty,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Carey was sacked for issues with domestic violence and behaviour, and that makes it ok for him to advocate.. violence against a women? Christ almighty,
He didn't in this case. It was Eddie, Brayshaw and Spud, Carey was just there as was Barrett.

You mean like this? Beheading is worse than drowning isn't it?

Imagine the beheading of a woman at a music festival. But you know, it's ok, it was only Tony Abbott.

You know "banter" requires two people to be face to face. What Eddie's Heros did is bullying plain and simple. And as one woman each week is KILLED in this country by domestic violence why don't we just be a bit overly politically correct until this f#$ck$#g shit stops hey?

There is serious history between Wilson and McGuire ..they don't like each other ..and frequently take shots at each other ...do you get what I'm saying here they dislike each other intensely...and Eddie just handed her ammo ...she's not in fear of her life ...she's now got the upper hand in there feud and will milk this for all its worth ....she's not liked by the clubs ..neither is that flog purple or robbo for that matter...
Just imagine the outrage if he was constantly calling for her to be sacked because she's out of touch and failed at her job ....oh the outrage at the sexism of it all
Funny how no one says anything like that about her constant attacks on his credibility

So it begs the question can only men be sexist ...because if that's the case that doesn't sound like equality to me

Just imagine ...?

We doing hypotheticals and calling the result now?

If Caro wrote a crap, factually incorrect article, she deserves to have that article attacked. She deserves to have her professionalism questioned. Pondering whether her employer should retain her in the wake of several such unprofessional articles is to be expected.

Keep it relevant and in context and there shouldn't be a problem.

He didn't in this case. It was Eddie, Brayshaw and Spud, Carey was just there as was Barrett.

He didn't in this instance, no, judging from that transcript, but that seemed to be your implication, that he could joke about this sort of thing because she played a part in having him sacked.

The definitive post - bullies leading cowards down at AFL HQ.

Ed doesn't have the same relationship with Caro that he does with Robbo.
Yes, he was pissy at Robbo for the story in round 1. The feud with Caro has been going on for a long while. and he overstepped the mark with it.

Also, why ask if it had been robbo. Why not ask why didn't he say it about Robbo?

Could be any reasons. He may have read an article that Caro wrote that morning. Who knows.

All I know is that Caro hands it out as well as she gets it back. Anyone who's ever watched the Caro's Arrow segment on TV would know Carl has had her say and not held back when it comes to dishing it out.

You know "banter" requires two people to be face to face. What Eddie's Heros did is bullying plain and simple. And as one woman each week is KILLED in this country by domestic violence why don't we just be a bit overly politically correct until this f#$ck$#g shit stops hey?

This has nothing to do with DV.

Eddie isn't married to Caro you know?

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

Back