EDFL "A" Grade - 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously MP people did see the plans and were asked to comment they did on several occasions point out that the visitors rooms were too small, but council knows best, remember when putting sh*t on any suburban clubs facilities that the clubs are tenants of the council and have little say in the form and functionality the facilities take.

you would think with all the money marby are pumping out to buy flags they could at least push a bit of coin back into the club which everyone uses and have decent rooms

Out of curiosity, what is the ratio at the top a grade clubs of home grown talent to "bought" talent?

I'd say Abers at a guess would have about 30 odd players on their senior list (reserves and seniors) who are home grown and of that about 15 are regular senior players...not to mention the numerous AFL players we've produced.

And to be fair to Strathmore, they definitely do have juniors playing for them and did have a fair few juniors play in their recent flags including May, Campbell, Robosn, Capwell, Dick Little (I assume), Watts etc...

Douttas are another club who do and have played a lot of juniors in their seniors...in fact it appears most of their team this year are home grown.

This issue could be something that is affecting the Keilor team at moment as they really are a team that has been designed by Mick. I know that still play some juniors but most of their current list have been recruited by Mick and perhaps this starting to fracture the club a litte. Just speculation, but anyone silly enough to discount a clbu who hasnt missed finals since 1993 (i think) is blloody stupid...they will turn it around very quickly with or without Mick.

you would think with all the money marby are pumping out to buy flags they could at least push a bit of coin back into the club which everyone uses and have decent rooms

You can't buy flags....well that's what the punters told us for a few years now you say we buy them, make up your mind.

You can't buy flags....well that's what the punters told us for a few years now you say we buy them, make up your mind.
You obviously can..compare Marby/Greenvale/Strathmore to Taylors Lakes and say Paco to Jacana, you'll notice a key difference.
The key is spending the money wisely otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of overpaid mercs and no flags.

You obviously can..compare Marby/Greenvale/Strathmore to Taylors Lakes and say Paco to Jacana, you'll notice a key difference.
The key is spending the money wisely otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of overpaid mercs and no flags.

Right on the money Bluejet. It's also lifted the profile of the comp, its up to clubs to use there money wisely to get the right outcome.

I'd say Abers at a guess would have about 30 odd players on their senior list (reserves and seniors) who are home grown and of that about 15 are regular senior players...not to mention the numerous AFL players we've produced.

And to be fair to Strathmore, they definitely do have juniors playing for them and did have a fair few juniors play in their recent flags including May, Campbell, Robosn, Capwell, Dick Little (I assume), Watts etc...

Douttas are another club who do and have played a lot of juniors in their seniors...in fact it appears most of their team this year are home grown.

This issue could be something that is affecting the Keilor team at moment as they really are a team that has been designed by Mick. I know that still play some juniors but most of their current list have been recruited by Mick and perhaps this starting to fracture the club a litte. Just speculation, but anyone silly enough to discount a clbu who hasnt missed finals since 1993 (i think) is blloody stupid...they will turn it around very quickly with or without Mick.

The following players for Abers in seniors last week were juniors:

Jason Shaw
Lachie Hutchenson
Cam McMillian
Marcus Kennedy
Ned Daniher
Donza
Adrian Romanyk
Conal Maloney
Nic Cattapan

Apart from the beating heart Donza all 18-20 yo players which is great for the club which has traditionally been very strong at U/18s but had players decide not to play seniors from various reasons - laziness being top of the list.

Not to mention some other notable Abers juniors playing for other EDFL clubs (Travis Jorgensen, Andrew Nicho) & in VFL & AFL.

Major difference for Abers now is we have more experienced senior players to lead form front & help these guys develop.

The following players for Abers in seniors last week were juniors:

Jason Shaw
Lachie Hutchenson
Cam McMillian
Marcus Kennedy
Ned Daniher
Donza
Adrian Romanyk
Conal Maloney
Nic Cattapan

Apart from the beating heart Donza all 18-20 yo players which is great for the club which has traditionally been very strong at U/18s but had players decide not to play seniors from various reasons - laziness being top of the list.

Not to mention some other notable Abers juniors playing for other EDFL clubs (Travis Jorgensen, Andrew Nicho) & in VFL & AFL.

Major difference for Abers now is we have more experienced senior players to lead form front & help these guys develop.

Some pretty fair dialogue on last couple of pages.
Keilor have 34 of 52 home growns playing senior footy. 13 playing A Grade footy.

Barbuto
Clifton
Duncan
Gauci
James
King
Lambropoulos
Marcy
Messis
Papalia
Pearce
Raftopoulos
Zahra

oak park with Mcdonald, Pascu, Kennedy, Gleeson, Wittmar, Vernon, Scibberas, Mcintosh in the best 22 with Tripp and Williams out for the year and a 6-8 more fringe players.
Usaully a tuff game against Doutta's, boy's will need their heads about them this week, coming off two good wins and need to keep the ball rolling until we play Strathmore, a game which could determine where we end up at the end of the year, have let two winnable games slip and need to stop turning the ball over through the middle of the ground, signs over the last two games have been promising though and really do think we have a shot at doing some damage in the finals, just have to get there first!!:D

Some pretty fair dialogue on last couple of pages.
Keilor have 34 of 52 home growns playing senior footy. 13 playing A Grade footy.

Barbuto
Clifton
Duncan
Gauci
James
King
Lambropoulos
Marcy
Messis
Papalia
Pearce
Raftopoulos
Zahra

What about Cooper mate??? saw him doing the running when you came to oakers, injured??

:(
oak park with Mcdonald, Pascu, Kennedy, Gleeson, Wittmar, Vernon, Scibberas, Mcintosh in the best 22 with Tripp and Williams out for the year and a 6-8 more fringe players.
Usaully a tuff game against Doutta's, boy's will need their heads about them this week, coming off two good wins and need to keep the ball rolling until we play Strathmore, a game which could determine where we end up at the end of the year, have let two winnable games slip and need to stop turning the ball over through the middle of the ground, signs over the last two games have been promising though and really do think we have a shot at doing some damage in the finals, just have to get there first!!:D

Great effort by oakers to be where they are. Super effort last year by the coach who seems to have the fellas on the right track.
I don't think they will trouble sides like MP,GV and the mores come finals but l could be wrong.

:(

Great effort by oakers to be where they are. Super effort last year by the coach who seems to have the fellas on the right track.
I don't think they will trouble sides like MP,GV and the mores come finals but l could be wrong.

yeah on this years form so far you may be right, but we did recruit a few over summer and the general feeling was that we were a better side this year then the last, just havnt put it together so far i guess, either that or we overachieved last year which could also be true, but with smith, scilliano, clarke, lord and turner in we really thought we'd be in with a decent show, hard to go past marby, but from what i saw at home against greenvale we can definately beat them so there is still some hope left, just need to concentrate on getting it right...... also forgot Andy Smith as a local lad, dont know how because he's probably been our best this year

yeah on this years form so far you may be right, but we did recruit a few over summer and the general feeling was that we were a better side this year then the last, just havnt put it together so far i guess, either that or we overachieved last year which could also be true, but with smith, scilliano, clarke, lord and turner in we really thought we'd be in with a decent show, hard to go past marby, but from what i saw at home against greenvale we can definately beat them so there is still some hope left, just need to concentrate on getting it right...... also forgot Andy Smith as a local lad, dont know how because he's probably been our best this year

It's a true credit to the coach and his coaching staff. It just shows a club that was in a position it was in can turn it around on and off the field.
The comp is only getting stronger and sometimes spending up big isn't the solution to long term goals of any FC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cooper - Long Term injury won't play this season. Looks like Zahra & Papalia will both miss rest of season.

Great to hear so many clubs have home grown talent, from personal experience when the money dries up or is spent on the wrong people the ones you are left with are normally the loyal lifers. From an outside perspective (to A Grade) I have been pleasantly suprised at the outcome of my question. To finish, by seeing senior players come through from juniors also gives current juniors a sense that they too can take that step and represent the club they have grown up loving rather than sitting in the magoos watching a bunch of blokes they don't know and probably won't see ever again after a few years.

wow, Doutta are only one game outside the top4 and just a little bit of percentage !!!!!

Maribyrnong Park - 147.34% - 20pts
Aberfeldie - 152.44% - 16pts
Strathmore - 144.94% - 16pts
Greenvale - 150.93% - 12pts
Doutta Stars - 51.94% - 8pts
Avondale Heights - 99.41% - 4pts
Taylors Lakes - 50.00% - 0pts

Hey yeah we are equal fifth not bad :D still the last team to beat Marby arent we? so going alright :D

Now on a serious note yes we are struggling in terms of personnel but from what i have seen Marcus is doing a great job and the players are putting in a great effort most of the time and the club off field is doing good things so as funny as it may sound when you look at our percentage and win loss im quite happy as i believe we are headed the right way :D There will be some more pain this year but hopefully another couple of wins too :)

THE DREBSTER

EDFL Match of the Round on North West FM 98.9 is West Coburg v Pascoe Vale from 2pm-5pm tomorrow.

Contact the commentary team direct with your comments and around-the-ground scores via Twitter, @EDFLfooty

Full wrap of around the ground scores from A and B-grade at half time and full time

Great to hear so many clubs have home grown talent, from personal experience when the money dries up or is spent on the wrong people the ones you are left with are normally the loyal lifers. From an outside perspective (to A Grade) I have been pleasantly suprised at the outcome of my question. To finish, by seeing senior players come through from juniors also gives current juniors a sense that they too can take that step and represent the club they have grown up loving rather than sitting in the magoos watching a bunch of blokes they don't know and probably won't see ever again after a few years.

It's amazing that it's taken this many years to put to bed the misconception that the top teams are full of 'mercs'... They clearly still spend plenty of cash but not just on the 'imports'. MP are a different story but are now building their junior program so maybe that will start to change. Good to see some quality posts of interest on a footy topic...

It's amazing that it's taken this many years to put to bed the misconception that the top teams are full of 'mercs'... They clearly still spend plenty of cash but not just on the 'imports'. MP are a different story but are now building their junior program so maybe that will start to change. Good to see some quality posts of interest on a footy topic...

Agree & whilst I am not a fan of Marby they have done a lot of work to get their juniors up & about. Just updated myself on the other forum - are these guys in a time warp?? Nicholson has been o/s & played his first game last week V AV. As for Garth & Pask great diversion - the fact is the side is just not functioning at the moment. Both blokes are quality.

Looks like Keilor have spent their money well. Must be some turmoil happening with egos playing a big part in the problems they are facing. Wonder if Mick will be getting an extension of his contract?

Looks like Keilor have spent their money well. Must be some turmoil happening with egos playing a big part in the problems they are facing. Wonder if Mick will be getting an extension of his contract?

Watched a half of there game today, from an outsiders point of view Keilor seem to have some major issues down there way. Let's not take anything away from abers, they have come long way and pick up some quality players in the off season.
Only early in the season as yet, but l think after today its safe to say finals is out of reach for Keilor.
Can anyone on here gives us some insight in to the dramas down there way and why it's happening to such a strong club??

Watched a half of there game today, from an outsiders point of view Keilor seem to have some major issues down there way. Let's not take anything away from abers, they have come long way and pick up some quality players in the off season.
Only early in the season as yet, but l think after today its safe to say finals is out of reach for Keilor.
Can anyone on here gives us some insight in to the dramas down there way and why it's happening to such a strong club??

Is there a bit of an agenda on here against Keilor. As an Abers supporter I thought Keilor totally out worked us and we only got up through sheer luck and having a few more genuine stars.

I couldn't fault Keilor today, they have lost a few and have injuries and still ran extremely hard. We got out of jail and I fail to see how Keilors problem is anything more than a combination of losing blokes and injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back