EDFL Div 2 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MV always knew this game was going to be tough especially with the number of changes to its side; some medically necessary and a few for other reasons but the goal was to at least provide a good contest. The first half looked to be dismal if you were a Fog supporter but wow what a turnaround in the second and other than a few rather ‘eager’ fans on both sides, the whole day was just brilliant. Roxy cops a lot of flack for various reasons - maybe some valid, who knows- but if I was a parent or even just a supporter of any of those numerous players who stuck around in the MV makeshift club rooms for a considerable amount of time after the game despite having their own ball to go to Saturday night I’d be very happy to call them one of my own. They were all class, well-mannered and did themselves and their club proud.
That's great to hear really is what footy is about who played well for both sides?

That's great to hear really is what footy is about who played well for both sides?
Any week before this one I’d struggle to narrow down my choices for MV but after 2 1/2 quarters of putrid footy from them, it’s almost
a struggle to pick a few. But by far the standouts were #38 Stuey Aberdeen and #32 Sean Gales for mine. They’re not the names that are necessarily going to make headlines or dominate the scoring although I think they both kicked one this week but they can change the game within 30 seconds. As far as I could tell those two and the special dynamic they bring are one of the main reasons MV dominated the third and it’s just that something that you can’t buy or teach. For Roxy, Ryan Micallef won best on ground as far as MV was concerned and the 6 stubbies and deservedly so. For me though mine was Jack Elliott. Without a doubt he is a ripper of a player and someone who you’d almost say that you could build a team around. If anyone wants to dispel any negative assumptions about Roxy just put him out there as he’s the best possible ambassador for their future. And take away the supposed big gun goal kickers, anyone coming up against Roxy needs to find a way to contain Jack because he’ll damage you one way or another. Sadly for opposition teams the worst part is he’s such a humble and decent guy that you can’t even hate him for it.

Last edited:
Any week before this one I’d struggle to narrow down my choices for MV but after 2 1/2 quarters of putrid footy from them, it’s almost
a struggle to pick a few. But by far the standouts were #38 Stuey Aberdeen and #32 Sean Gales for mine. They’re not the names that are necessarily going to make headlines or dominate the scoring although I think they both kicked one this week but they can change the game within 30 seconds. As far as I could tell those two and the special dynamic they bring are one of the main reasons MV dominated the third and it’s just that something that you can’t buy or teach. For Roxy, Ryan Micallef won best on ground as far as MV was concerned and the 6 stubbies and deservedly so. For me though mine was Jack Elliott. Without a doubt he is a ripper of a player and someone who you’d almost say that you could build a team around. If anyone wants to dispel any negative assumptions about Roxy just put him out there as he’s the best possible ambassador for their future. And take away the supposed big gun goal kickers, anyone coming up against Roxy needs to find a way to contain Jack because he’ll damage you one way or another. Sadly for opposition teams the worst part is he’s such a humble and decent guy that you can’t even hate him for it.

So true of Elliott from Roxy.
Apparently knocked back big dollars from other clubs to stay at Roxy for a lot less because he wanted to establish himself as a good player in his division first.

Older or younger bloke and what position for roxys sake hope they can hold on to him for the future

Older or younger bloke and what position for roxys sake hope they can hold on to him for the future
I'm pretty sure he's not even 20 years old yet but he held himself up to anyone of any age or skill ability out there without a worry in the world. Tall, bloody quick and just all-around a great mind for footy. With his position I'm not sure what you'd even call him but this weekend he started in defence against MV although he constantly pushed up as an extra onballer. Just a complete headache for an opposing coach I'm sure but at the same time a pleasure to watch. Such a great asset to have at your club.

So who are we tipping this week?
NS <RP
CD <MV
HAD <ES

Very rare but i have all away teams winning although the first two games will be bloody close

Great season in Div 2 with 5 sides neck and neck for the 4. Was lucky enough to get down to Charles Mutton Reserve to see a thrilling game between Northern & Roxy . Thought Roxy was the far better side in the 1st half holding Northern in the 1st quarter then they dominated the 2nd but couldn't put it on the scoreboard due to inaccurate kicking at goal and went in only 8 pts up at half time. Thought Northern were in a bit of trouble ,but to there credit they came out after half time put themselves back in the game with a 5 goal to 2 quarter to lead by 10pts at 3/4 time. This set up one of best quarters of local footy I've seen for a while . Roxy got themselves in front and it looked like they were gonna go away with it but Northern wouldn't lie down and in a tense , off your seat last ten minutes Northern got themselves 2 pts in front with a goal only sealing the match inside the last minute with another goal to win by 7pts . Bad kicking costly for Roxy but they hit the lead in last and let it slip . Northern would say it wasn't there best 4 quarter effort but they showed a lot of heart to get over the line with there midfield just having a bit more grunt when it was up for grabs in the last quarter. A credit to players and supporters of both clubs for providing a fantastic game played in great spirit .

Great season in Div 2 with 5 sides neck and neck for the 4. Was lucky enough to get down to Charles Mutton Reserve to see a thrilling game between Northern & Roxy . Thought Roxy was the far better side in the 1st half holding Northern in the 1st quarter then they dominated the 2nd but couldn't put it on the scoreboard due to inaccurate kicking at goal and went in only 8 pts up at half time. Thought Northern were in a bit of trouble ,but to there credit they came out after half time put themselves back in the game with a 5 goal to 2 quarter to lead by 10pts at 3/4 time. This set up one of best quarters of local footy I've seen for a while . Roxy got themselves in front and it looked like they were gonna go away with it but Northern wouldn't lie down and in a tense , off your seat last ten minutes Northern got themselves 2 pts in front with a goal only sealing the match inside the last minute with another goal to win by 7pts . Bad kicking costly for Roxy but they hit the lead in last and let it slip . Northern would say it wasn't there best 4 quarter effort but they showed a lot of heart to get over the line with there midfield just having a bit more grunt when it was up for grabs in the last quarter. A credit to players and supporters of both clubs for providing a fantastic game played in great spirit .

yeah really good description of the game. It was a great game, and great spirit by both players and supporters. Just a sledge for the club, Nth Saints. What the hell are they doing with the scoreboard. I couldn't see the scores and it was a problem throughout the match. I was at the playground area and had to rely on the edfl app for scores. It's just sub standard in todays game so I hope the club look at it seriously. Other than that always enjoy myself down at Mutton reserve. I thought the kid with the dreadlocks, No32 and a young kid on the wing for the Saints were standouts, but Roxy massive turnaround from round 1 and thay will get better, but still believe the fog are the team to beat at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah really good description of the game. It was a great game, and great spirit by both players and supporters. Just a sledge for the club, Nth Saints. What the hell are they doing with the scoreboard. I couldn't see the scores and it was a problem throughout the match. I was at the playground area and had to rely on the edfl app for scores. It's just sub standard in todays game so I hope the club look at it seriously. Other than that always enjoy myself down at Mutton reserve. I thought the kid with the dreadlocks, No32 and a young kid on the wing for the Saints were standouts, but Roxy massive turnaround from round 1 and thay will get better, but still believe the fog are the team to beat at this stage.

Do you know something we dont Joey? Why so bullish about MV?
Would have thought ES and RP will be advantaged come finals time on bigger grounds.

Do you know something we dont Joey? Why so bullish about MV?
Would have thought ES and RP will be advantaged come finals time on bigger grounds.

Nah, I wouldnt have thought so. Just my humble opinion. Anyone of 5 teams could do it dont you think? I've seen them all play and all are good on their day, so I guess the team that fires at the pointy end of the year will have the advantage and momentum.
Just on ES, I think they are one year off. Dont get me wrong, I think they are really good but plenty of young kids, possibly need another year and then will catapult into Div 1 and be a stable good side for the next few years as they mature as a club.

It was tough to see the scoreboard but this won't be an issue moving forward. The game had to be played on our second ground due to work being done on the main ground. The main ground will be used for the rest of the season where the scoreboard is much easier to see.

some interesting results with ES the only favourite getting up. Have CD woken up at long last
Great to see that the Hadfield spud that thought it was appropriate to headbutt one of our young players got 4 weeks yesterday at the EDFL tribunal, that apparently puts him over the 16 and he's done because of it. The other bloke that ran around spitting on the other young kids is lucky, he knows who he is. Pretty poor effort I would think. It is getting a bit boring watching sides that think they can kick, punch and spit on our young blokes every week (usually behind the play) in an attempt to intimidate them, it has not worked yet.
Some clubs have worked really hard to boost the standard of football in Div 2 and I have watched a number of great matches this season played in a fantastic spirit, when will a couple of clubs realise that as a Division we have moved past the rubbish I see from them every time we play.

CD by 4 goals
ES by 3
NS by plenty

Great to see that the Hadfield spud that thought it was appropriate to headbutt one of our young players got 4 weeks yesterday at the EDFL tribunal, that apparently puts him over the 16 and he's done because of it. The other bloke that ran around spitting on the other young kids is lucky, he knows who he is. Pretty poor effort I would think. It is getting a bit boring watching sides that think they can kick, punch and spit on our young blokes every week (usually behind the play) in an attempt to intimidate them, it has not worked yet.
Some clubs have worked really hard to boost the standard of football in Div 2 and I have watched a number of great matches this season played in a fantastic spirit, when will a couple of clubs realise that as a Division we have moved past the rubbish I see from them every time we play.

CD by 4 goals
ES by 3
NS by plenty
I think you are hearing one side. Good source said East Sunbury head butt Hadfield. Obviously Hadfield went over the top but i think when a game is called off with both parties brawling I'd say no team deserves the points. The EDFL disagreed obviously.

I think you are hearing one side. Good source said East Sunbury head butt Hadfield. Obviously Hadfield went over the top but i think when a game is called off with both parties brawling I'd say no team deserves the points. The EDFL disagreed obviously.
Your obviously a bit confused, I'm talking about the Seniors, not the reserves

CD by 4 goals
ES by 3
NS by plenty

I'm trying, obviously you were not at the game on Saturday because if you were, you would know that the only headbutt was by No. 43 for East Sunbury to a young Hadfield player during the Reserves game. You're quick to give it out to Hadfield, but when your player gets reported as well, you don't mention it. Oh, and by the way, the Hadfield player is not on 16 weeks, but much less than you think. Might be a good idea to your facts right first.

CD by 4 goals
ES by 3
NS by plenty

I think the EDFL needs to get seroius on some issues and hand out huge penalties to clubs on numerous issues rather than slap them on the wrist. How in these times does a game get called off. What are the club hierarchy doing when this happens.

I hate to say it mate, but if I was advising any young kid between 17-21 with any kind of ability I would be discouraging them from playing this standard of footy. It’s a shame it’s like this but some clubs just sit idle and do stuff all to solve these problems and move forward as a club. A few thugs always pick there mark or wait till they outnumber players they strike. Most wouldn’t go near a guy who can handle themselves and they very rarely do it one on one face to face..

Good luck with your young club mate..

I'm trying, obviously you were not at the game on Saturday because if you were, you would know that the only headbutt was by No. 43 for East Sunbury to a young Hadfield player during the Reserves game. You're quick to give it out to Hadfield, but when your player gets reported as well, you don't mention it. Oh, and by the way, the Hadfield player is not on 16 weeks, but much less than you think. Might be a good idea to your facts right first.
Once again a Hadfield man that does not listen.......... yes a member of the ES reserves was reported and cleared by the way (I was at the game and saw the disgraceful effort) by your reserves player who ran of the bench 3 times to kick players, whilst the runner and others were trying to stop him. That’s why the umpires called off the match.

And again I will state that the player that got the 4 weeks was a senior player...where you at the game. You tell us, did a senior player from Hadfield get reported for head butting an 18 y.o kid and suspended for 4 matches ?????

And yes turbo I agree with your comments but clubs are trying to improve and better the competition for future years, it’s spuds like this (not the club) that need to be kicked out of the league forever.

Once again a Hadfield man that does not listen.......... yes a member of the ES reserves was reported and cleared by the way (I was at the game and saw the disgraceful effort) by your reserves player who ran of the bench 3 times to kick players, whilst the runner and others were trying to stop him. That’s why the umpires called off the match.

And again I will state that the player that got the 4 weeks was a senior player...where you at the game. You tell us, did a senior player from Hadfield get reported for head butting an 18 y.o kid and suspended for 4 matches ?????

And yes turbo I agree with your comments but clubs are trying to improve and better the competition for future years, it’s spuds like this (not the club) that need to be kicked out of the league forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back