EDFL Premier Discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

And you have never said or done something in the heat of the moment, never stood up for people under your control.
Mate abusing umpires is not great under any circumstances. Can own it all he likes but ultimately it’s wrong. Especially after all the discussions about respecting umpires.

On the flip side I have noticed over recent years that particular umpires that have affiliation to a particular club get given there games. This is not good and can cause issues with totally biased umpiring. Was this the case I wonder?
It appears to happen to favoured clubs the league like as well.

Another ridiculous decision by Kite to allow this to happen and continue!! He needs to go!

Mate abusing umpires is not great under any circumstances. Can own it all he likes but ultimately it’s wrong. Especially after all the discussions about respecting umpires.

On the flip side I have noticed over recent years that particular umpires that have affiliation to a particular club get given there games. This is not good and can cause issues with totally biased umpiring. Was this the case I wonder?

Another ridiculous decision by Kite to allow this to happen and continue!! He needs to go!
Ate you available? You seem to have a lot of opinions on what the league is doing wrong.

Ate you available? You seem to have a lot of opinions on what the league is doing wrong.
Thought you might not like my comment regarding umpiring at the club you have affiliation with..

Played Abers once and kids getting hit late amongst other things but never any free kicks due to his affiliation with them in he knew most of the kids. Kids going down left right and centre and when a kid has enough it’s an immediate card. Just saying!!

Thought you might not like my comment regarding umpiring at the club you have affiliation with..

Played Abers once and kids getting hit late amongst other things but never any free kicks due to his affiliation with them in he knew most of the kids. Kids going down left right and centre and when a kid has enough it’s an immediate card. Just saying!!
Instead of beating around the bush and making snide insinuations, why don’t you have the courage of your convictions and actually name names?

Then those of us who don’t know who you’re smearing, are left in no doubt as to who you actually are smearing.

Just saying.

And for the record I admire Big_Jed for coming onto this forum and owning his error. We all make mistakes. A lifetime of service to junior footballers shouldn’t be disregarded because of one regrettable incident.

Last edited:
Agreed. No cap, 35 points for each team. Promoted team gets 45 for 1 year. That will make things competitive.

35 makes it impossible to fit in a Dream team regardless of how much you pay players unless they have been with your club for years, the extra 10 points will allow you to bring 3-4 players in to help promoted teams

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And after that year, you have to lose 10 points.
That means that you have to jettison 1-2 of those players you brought in and hope that points come off other players on your list.

Maybe they could have 39 points (4 more) instead and with other deductions across the list you might not have to boot out guys to stay under the cap at the end of the first season.

I can say that has been happening for over 40 years. A game I was playing in once one umpire was the uncle of one of their players. The free kick count was that one sided that umpire was told at half time that if it didn’t stop he would have a riot on his hands.

And after that year, you have to lose 10 points.
That means that you have to jettison 1-2 of those players you brought in and hope that points come off other players on your list.

Maybe they could have 39 points (4 more) instead and with other deductions across the list you might not have to boot out guys to stay under the cap at the end of the first season.

Wtf mate did you just go back 6 months to reply to a comment ? I don’t even remember what we were discussing lol

Instead of beating around the bush and making snide insinuations, why don’t you have the courage of your convictions and actually name names?

Then those of us who don’t know who you’re smearing, are left in no doubt as to who you actually are smearing.

Just saying.

And for the record I admire Big_Jed for coming onto this forum and owning his error. We all make mistakes. A lifetime of service to junior footballers shouldn’t be disregarded because of one regrettable incident.
I’m just saying that it’s not right they appoint umpires to clubs the umpire has an affiliation to. Did that attribute to what occurred as I’ve never heard of an umpire wanting to fight a player. Have you?

I’m just saying that it’s not right they appoint umpires to clubs the umpire has an affiliation to. Did that attribute to what occurred as I’ve never heard of an umpire wanting to fight a player. Have you?

Do you realise how many young umpires would not be able to umpire if you enforced your rule.

If they are playing U14, they'll often get an U10 game or if the are playing U16, they'll often get an U12 game.

Take that away, and you'll have even more games without umpires.

You always go to the extreme. Sure, some games may not be umpired as well as they could be, but the majority go ahead just fine. Just because you've seen an example of a game being effected, you assume every game will be effected.

I can say that has been happening for over 40 years. A game I was playing in once one umpire was the uncle of one of their players. The free kick count was that one sided that umpire was told at half time that if it didn’t stop he would have a riot on his hands.
I know of another game where the umpire went to the same school as one of the teams which just happened to get most of its free kicks in its forward line while the other team mostly got free kicks in its back line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you realise how many young umpires would not be able to umpire if you enforced your rule.

If they are playing U14, they'll often get an U10 game or if the are playing U16, they'll often get an U12 game.

Take that away, and you'll have even more games without umpires.

You always go to the extreme. Sure, some games may not be umpired as well as they could be, but the majority go ahead just fine. Just because you've seen an example of a game being effected, you assume every game will be effected.
Oh FFS give them a game on a ground close by to limit the travel they need to do to get to there game. They shouldn’t be umpiring there own club. It creates a lot of issues.

I guess it favours some clubs hence we have different feelings

Oh FFS give them a game on a ground close by to limit the travel they need to do to get to there game. They shouldn’t be umpiring there own club. It creates a lot of issues.

I guess it favours some clubs hence we have different feelings

They already do that, but that can't happen every week.

Greenvale have decisions to make for the first time in a while. There juniors are somewhat getting back to the numbers they previously had. The suburb is again expanding.
Do the seniors take a hit for a few years? If coach doesn’t stay going to be hard to convince another big no and to come. That has probably what has held them up. Paxman, Grant, Chapman, Bewick.
Would struggle to get players there without a name coach.

Greenvale have decisions to make for the first time in a while. There juniors are somewhat getting back to the numbers they previously had. The suburb is again expanding.
Do the seniors take a hit for a few years? If coach doesn’t stay going to be hard to convince another big no and to come. That has probably what has held them up. Paxman, Grant, Chapman, Bewick.

Realistically, the four pillars of a successful club in this comp are funds to recruit, player retention, quality coaching & a decent pipeline of junior talent.
An argument could be made that in recent times they had none of the four, hence their decline.

Imo the biggest mistake was appointing Chapman as coach after previously been sacked at a Wrfl club. To many one point players left because of his coaching iirc one player was recruited and he left after one year. The 2nd biggest mistake was reappointing him the next year. Right now if something doesn’t change they will be close to being relegated next year.

Realistically, the four pillars of a successful club in this comp are funds to recruit, player retention, quality coaching & a decent pipeline of junior talent.
An argument could be made that in recent times they had none of the four, hence their decline.
Yes, Greenvale’s decline over the past 3-4 years has been sudden, surprising and dramatic. From 2004-2017 they were a veritable juggernaut. Played in 10 senior GF’s. Won 4, probably missed a couple they were expected to win from 2008-2010. Won multiple reserves and under 18.5 flags.

They were undoubtedly the benchmark for at least 10 years. They were financially sound, had a very strong, canny President in Bruce Kent, good committee, recruited well and had excellent coaches (McPherson, Rock etc). I don’t know the demographics of the suburb, but I would have thought Greenvale is a pretty young developing area and should have plenty of youth they could tap into. Obviously something has gone seriously awry.

Last edited:
Yes, Greenvale’s decline over the past 3-4 years has been sudden, surprising and dramatic. From 2004-2017 they were a veritable juggernaut. Played in 10 senior GF’s. Won 4, probably missed a couple they were expected to win from 2008-2010. Won multiple reserves and under 18.5 flags.

They were undoubtedly the benchmark for at least 10 years. They were financially sound, had a very strong, canny President in Bruce Kent, good committee, recruited well and had excellent coaches (McPherson, Rock etc). I don’t know the demographics of the suburb, but I would have thought Greenvale is a pretty young developing area and should have plenty of youth they could tap into. Obviously something has gone seriously awry.

From Greenvale through to Donnybrook the area has developed hugely. Surprised there isn't another club to be honest.

From Greenvale through to Donnybrook the area has developed hugely. Surprised there isn't another club to be honest.
Hume Bombers have entered the EDFL, they are pumping money into them to evolve from a junior club to getting senior teams in the next 5 years.
if Keilor park can be used as an example they folded there senior teams a couple of years back & kept the juniors going and now 2 years back in Div 2 the are a good chance to step up to Div 1.
The Bombers have 2 ovals in a new 13 million facility that puts most EDFL clubs to shame, if they can evolve from predominantly a cricket club with junior football they could attract some good players based on there location.

Hume Bombers have entered the EDFL, they are pumping money into them to evolve from a junior club to getting senior teams in the next 5 years.
if Keilor park can be used as an example they folded there senior teams a couple of years back & kept the juniors going and now 2 years back in Div 2 the are a good chance to step up to Div 1.
The Bombers have 2 ovals in a new 13 million facility that puts most EDFL clubs to shame, if they can evolve from predominantly a cricket club with junior football they could attract some good players based on there location.
Also Donnybrook Dragons in the nfnl

You can put the best facilities and spend the most money, but you can’t change the demographics of the area!
Case in point - Roxburgh Park, Jacana, Hadfield and to a lesser extent Craigiburn.

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Premier Discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back