Review Elimination Final vs WC - Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that we were a tall short and that Trengove should have played. Did we really expect to go through an entire game against good opposition with one ruckman supported by part timers? As it turned out Paddy had to ruck for almost five quarters.

Next year Billy Frampton has to get some game time so I do not see Trengove getting a game but I would still have played him last night.

We definitely need to blood Billy next year, I still have a foot in each camp though as to whether he has the tools to be an AFL player. Clearly Jacko won't be at the club.

Trash attendance. 41k is a huge disappointment.

Is that the official crowd? Wtf!?
The place was packed. Where the hell would another 10k people fit?

c86135f02e992ca12443c7cb003c7496.jpg

Once a cheat always a cheat, lifted up his arm and made Polec look like a villain. This decision was supposed to be play on with the revised rules

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Attachments

• IMAG0371.jpg
    IMAG0371.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 8

It's late and I haven't felt this devo since the 1987 finals exit. I won't mention that other abomination. That has no parallel.

Just a few random thoughts.

Jacko should have played. Early on we were at sixes and sevens and fell 5 goals behind because of the mismatches in our backline. Petrie hurt us with half a dozen early marks and Darling was a threat. We did sort that out when nerves settled and we put proper pressure on the ball carrier. But jeez Jacko would have been handy early down back and later in the ruck even up forward.

Marshall was thrown to the wolves. He did some good things that set up goals but didn't have the size and experience to unsettle the big bodied West Coast defenders. Too often he was left one out while Charlie provided a presence upfield.

The kids generally were good. Thought Clurey was terrific, a couple of Kennedy's goals were gifts.

Dixon was a monster. Yes he was inaccurate in the end but he was all that stood between us and capitulation early on. And he was massive all over the ground.

The umpires took at least a quarter to umpire the game like a final and umpire 17 must have thought a Port player bonked his missus.

That last free kick was as inevitable as death and taxes. And it did cost us the game and yes it does piss me off because I like winning finals.

Those last couple of minutes of extra time we played with no composure. Just needed to hold onto the ball and drag West Coast out of our f50 instead of going shelter skelter.

West Coast are a big strong experienced finals team and that counts for a lot. Something Port supporters should know well. We were so unsettled for a top 5 team with so many inexperienced youngsters.

It was the best final of week one but no consolation.

That's all I have. Disappointing to see dickheads dancing on our grave but picked off those where I could.

To the supporters with sincere good wishes thank you for your decency.

>That last free kick was as inevitable as death and taxes. And it did cost us the game and yes it does piss me off because I like winning finals

Question. If Ken had spoken out when he should have, instead of congratulating the umpires, would this have been incorrectly called against us?

IMAG0371.jpg

26-18 in scoring, and we lost. That's all we need to know. It should have been a win and a rout, but it turned into a loss because kicking in between the goal posts seemed to be an impossible task...

When you build A team that relies on a Benny hill gameplan, not all the mud thrown will hit the barn. And then you get that outcome last night when you burn your ruck and don't play the right players

It happened too often to be just bad luck. It's now the most probable outcome

Ken rolls a dice loaded against his own chances. I like "brave", but after 5 seasons I've seen enough to know where it gets you.

Our 2 finals losses have come from poor kicking accuracy, then bad luck with the umpires. This is our fault. Ken simply has to go. The best we can hope for in the future is long shot dice rolls, with the _wrong_players

We definitely need to blood Billy next year, I still have a foot in each camp though as to whether he has the tools to be an AFL player. Clearly Jacko won't be at the club.

We should have blooded him this year. It was noted that before hurting his shoulder he was close to getting a call up. Add him to the list of Mashall, Howard and Bonner and you have to ask yourself what were we waiting for?

Exactly this!! No Wonder Dixons kicking got worse as the game went on - this continually running to half-back by our forwards is ludicrous.
And it's not to stop their opponents getting loose as Janus tells us; It's in the game-plan, the West coast defenders were trailing our players, NOT running off them.

You are living in the drop kick eta

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want to rise to the bait on this but..
A general rule of thumb is not to post on oppo boards, but if you do, be respectful at least. I'm sure you'd be gutted if Shuey missed that shot so at least keep that in the back of your mind. I got points for posting some pretty rude shit on the Crows board after they lost to North and when they accumulate you can lose your account.
Pretty easy to restart under another name though.....apparently?

SO missed the game due to a wedding and was on media blackout. Drove home ignoring the 7 messages on my phone, no idea what happened in the game and feeling sick seeing that there were messages. Returned home and turns out wifey had some friends over so couldn't start watching recording on iQ until nearly 1am.

Get to ET and glad that I selected extra recording on the iQ. **** ME DRUNK the recording ended with Shuey lining up and striking the ball. recording ended without seeing where the ball went and had to look at my phone to see the result anyway.

Devastated.

Diabolical decision to have Ryder ruck all game without support.

Also to have Westhoff start as a roaming defender was a master stroke. That was just ridiculous.

If we were worried about their tall forwards, play another f$&@"?g tall defender.
Jackson Trengove would have been the perfect foil to give Ryder a hand in ruck and Ryder who is a noted goal kicker by the way could go forward and kick a goal.Trengove can actually kick goals too and can go back and be a tall defender on giants like Kennedy and Petrie.Can't blame Jacko if he walks now

I'm going to go against the grain here, and say that that was one of the best games I've ever seen, let alone attended. Both teams were desperate, resolute, clean and classy, and I left the Oval feeling that I was privileged to have witnessed it.

Sure, I'm gutted. What a horrible way to lose, when we should have wrapped it up in regular time. Thought the third term killed us, when we were at our most dominant but couldn't find the composure to finish our work. 1.3 (with 3 OOF and 2 set shots that failed to make the distance from inside 50) to 0.1. Charlie runs into an open goal and bananas a point. And again our inability to hold a lead, in both the 4th quarter, and in the second period of overtime, when we got in front we had chances to close it out and again froze in front of goal. But kudos to West Coast - goalless for long periods, but when they absolutely HAD to, Priddis, Mitchell, Gaff and Jetta stepped up their game in the middle, and they nailed their chances.

Like many others here, I've had it with Impey, and S Gray and Polec are still to prove that they are anything other than baby-bullies. Liked Marshall, but he failed to kick a goal and we would have been better served by Trengove in my opinion when McGovern was setting up in our dump spot. I adore Charlie, but he just has to be a better kick for goal from set shots. He's no orphan there. Also no goals from Robbie, although he was used predominantly as a midfielder, he did rest up forward, and we had a lot of ball and time in our F50. Doogs was good, after Darling's early flurry, and Clurey was excellent on Kennedy.

Disappointed in our midfield a little; we have enough bash and bulls in there but need to find some class, which is what Wingard and Polec should provide but they were off tonight. Especially disappointed in Polec - his kicking was a sprinkler all night, then he was careless right at the end. Whether it was a free or a shrug, a better tackle would have seen us win. He, and many others, should be working on becoming 2-sided players - they should already be that, but haven't been professional enough to develop themselves fully, and expect to get by on talent.

This is the main failure of the coaching group, IMO - if serious, they demand that Polec learns to use his right foot; they demand that Impey learns how to balance himself before kicking on the run; they demand that Sam Gray shows composure instead of hoisting up bombs like a rugby player; they demand that the Dixon or Marshall gets to the contest and bring the ball to ground; they demand that Pittard doesn't let the ball get out the back after a spoil; they demand that set shot goalkicking goes at greater than 60%. If this group is going to progress, the coaches absolutely MUST set and enforce higher standards.

As supporters, we can be disappointed, angry even for now, but let's see this game for what it was - one of the greatest finals ever played. But **** me, we should have bloody won!!!!
Take a bow. Quality post

Wingard was rarely near his match-winning best this year, at any stage in the season. Very disappointing miss from 30m out in the last quater.
You see little deficiencies creeping into players during the year and you presume the coaches have got it covered in reviews and training but last night proved that we probably let things go ... she'll be right we're working on it.... nah
Wingard looked exhausted most of the second half

Jackson Trengove would have been the perfect foil to give Ryder a hand in ruck and Ryder who is a noted goal kicker by the way could go forward and kick a goal.Trengove can actually kick goals too and can go back and be a tall defender on giants like Kennedy and Petrie.Can't blame Jacko if he walks now

We are in the minority on here, most posters are happy for him to walk and don't see him anywhere near our best 22 anymore. Ridiculous.

I haven't read any of the comments on here or watched the replay yet, but my impression from being at the ground (up the hill, almost behind the east point post) was that we lost it due to a slow, insipid, lackadaisical start and kicking way too many points.

Only an isolated incident, but I was really annoyed with Robbie Gray at one point in the last quarter not tackling a West Coast player in the forward pocket north end: it resulted in a pass to another player and a goal. Poor effort on that occasion by Robert.

I thought Dixon & Neade were good, lots of the young guys played well, but I'm still not sure why Impey came in for this game! It was a good team effort for most of the match once they started being more accountable and applying strong tacking pressure .

We should have won last night, but we've pretty much finished where I though we would this year. I don't think this loss will prove to be a soul-destroying & shattering experience for the team, more a resolution-forging one as we build towards a premiership in 3-5 years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Elimination Final vs WC - Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back