End of year overhaul required

Remove this Banner Ad

Tundrawolf

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2007
The Den
AFL Club
Fremantle
I got this courtesy of 1870 Proud(cheers) from the Port forum and just changed it to suit us.

Retirements
Peter Bell
Shaun McManus
Matthew Carr
Heath Black
Mark Johnson - form hasn't warranted an extension of his contract

Delist
Jeff Farmer - offers very little of late and at a time he should be showing the club his worth to get another contract has shown nothing.
Ryley Dunn - time has come to say good bye to Ryley, too often injured.
Andrew Browne - gutsy and brave when he plays but sadly that has been too infrequent.
Luke Webster - cursed, along with Browne and Dunn with injuries.
Scott Thornton - just dont think he offers anymore than a youngster can given the same opportunities.

Attempt to Trade
Josh Carr (If he isn't happy at Freo let's see if Port want him back, doubtful trade - retain if not)
Ryan Murphy (maybe package deal with Mundy and/or Warnock)
David Mundy (should be an attractive player for most clubs)
Robert Warnock (preference is to re-sign him but if he wants out let's hope we can get some value for him, maybe in a package deal with Mundy/Murphy)
Paul Duffield (doubtful trade - delist if not)
Brett Peake (doubtful trade - retain if not)

Rookie list players
Brett Connelly (retain on Rookie List)
Chris Smith (Athletically has all the attributes needed but hasn't come on, still only playing reserves for SD - delist)
Calib Mourish (Delist - has not shown anything to suggest he can make the step up to the next level)
Luke Pratt (retain on Rookie List)

Hopeful draft targets

Rich, Hartlett, Zeibell with first pick - I think Zeibell would be the best fit. 188cm and great at clearances. Rich beautifully skilled with his kicking. Hartlett also good at clearances.

Hill, Blease, Walters, Jetta, Pearce, Swift, Vickery, Salter, Robinson, Suban, Banner and Heyne should all be looked at closely with later picks.

Miscellaneous
New CEO to be found
Lose the "Dockers" nickname
Lose the red and green from the club colours.

Courtesy of IP and her great painting skills, I'd love for our home/away strips to look like these next year.

alternativeguernseyjv7.jpg

alternativeguernseyawaykm8.jpg

That is a huge turnover of players but most of those players have been at the club for the last 4 or 5 years and have only delivered 1 year of finals in 2006, thus proving we need a major overhaul in the playing department.

That's pretty good Tundrawolf, but the problem is that there is no way we will be turning over 10-16 players. Won't happen. With all the retirements, you'd think that a few mediocre players would survive the chop. I am thinking of the likes of Browne, Gilmore and Thornton. I have been a Thornton hater this season, but realistically who could come in for him at the moment? We all want to get rid of the dead wood, but the reality is that we've got FAR too many players who have been regarded as dead wood at various times. For example, Peake has looked terrible this year but was quite impressive yesterday, ditto Schammer.

I'm pretty sure there will be a cleanout but it won't be as severe as this.

I agree there wont be a clean out as big as what I suggest there should be. But history has shown us that the same players who go missing under pressure are the same ones who can only play one or two good games every few weeks. And those same players will probably still be at the club next year.

I see no point in having those players on the list.

Let's start afresh and develop the players we want at our club. Easier said than done, I know, but I see more value in developing a player even if it does take a couple of years of development like Ibbotsen has done this year as opposed to keeping a 24 or 25 year old (who has played 50 to 80 games) and who has not shown that he can consistently perform at the required level.

You can't expect to overhaul the list in one season. Too many players have been given too many chances and with our aging list added on to that we have a mass exodus before we even try to get rid of some of our talentless players. Unless people are willing to accept a year similar to what Melbourne and West Coast have had this year, we can't just bring in that many kids.

I also disagree with throwing away the club's identity while we're at it (with all due respect to IP, those jumpers do absolutely nothing to symbolise the club)

If people really don't like the jumper, the colours and the song, they've got a couple of perfect opportunities coming up in the next couple of years to make a change to one of the new sides.

I said all along that it is going to be around 8 players that will be retired/delisted at the end of the season. There will be 4 retirements at the end of the season and around 4 senior list delistings, most probably Dunn, Browne, Thornton and Webster.
Murphy, Campbell, Duffield and Mundy may be put on the trade table but if trades don't eventuate I doubt they will be delisted unless the uncontracted ones nominate for PSD.

You can't expect to overhaul the list in one season. Too many players have been given too many chances and with our aging list added on to that we have a mass exodus before we even try to get rid of some of our talentless players. Unless people are willing to accept a year similar to what Melbourne and West Coast have had this year, we can't just bring in that many kids.

I also disagree with throwing away the club's identity while we're at it (with all due respect to IP, those jumpers do absolutely nothing to symbolise the club)

If people really don't like the jumper, the colours and the song, they've got a couple of perfect opportunities coming up in the next couple of years to make a change to one of the new sides.

With all due respect to you Chook that is utter crap.

Because I'm not crazy about the red and the green you suggest I support another team?

I said all along that it is going to be around 8 players that will be retired/delisted at the end of the season. There will be 4 retirements at the end of the season and around 4 senior list delistings, most probably Dunn, Browne, Thornton and Webster.
Murphy, Campbell, Duffield and Mundy may be put on the trade table but if trades don't eventuate I doubt they will be delisted unless the uncontracted ones nominate for PSD.

I'd be shocked if Thornton was delisted come seasons end.

Not my favourite player but I think he is well liked(or at least highly thought of) by the coaching staff.

I agree there wont be a clean out as big as what I suggest there should be. But history has shown us that the same players who go missing under pressure are the same ones who can only play one or two good games every few weeks. And those same players will probably still be at the club next year.

I see no point in having those players on the list.

Let's start afresh and develop the players we want at our club. Easier said than done, I know, but I see more value in developing a player even if it does take a couple of years of development like Ibbotsen has done this year as opposed to keeping a 24 or 25 year old (who has played 50 to 80 games) and who has not shown that he can consistently perform at the required level.

The problem is well demonstrated by a player like Ibbo though. He's had 3 years on the list, 3 pre-seasons and 3 years of development before he's been able to play at the level he is at. Mayne and Palmer are restricted in their output and even they are a level or two above the average first year draftee. If we find even 2 players from this years draft that can have an impact on season 2009 we will have to be happy.

Assuming Hasleby and Headland return from injury in reasonable shape and Ibbotson, Palmer and Mayne continue on from this season, we have access to a fit O'Brien and Foster then it is a very, very different team that we can look to field than we've had this year. Players like Peake and Thornton (and to a lesser extent Mundy, Schammer and Michael Johnson) won't get a walk up start. Our 'young' players listed above are going to have to fast track dramatically next season to prevent another bottom 4 finish.

RetirementsYES
Peter Bell
Shaun McManus
Matthew Carr
Heath Black

Delist
Jeff Farmer - NO, without all the retirements maybe
Ryley Dunn - YES
Andrew Browne - NO, show enough to get a years contract, and see Jeff
Luke Webster - YES, unfortunately, may get a reprive just due to the number of retirements
Scott Thornton - NO, Has value until a better replacement can be found

Attempt to Trade
Josh Carr - NO, young blokes need leadership through the middle now that there is no Bell
Ryan Murphy - YES, but won't get much, although it is a deep draft so even a third rounder would be a bonus
David Mundy - YES, but won't get much like Murphy, although might do one round better
Robert Warnock NO, must hold on to him, fingers crossed Melbourne finish above us and he is forced to stay or we screw over Melbourne with a tough deal.
Paul Duffield YES
Brett Peake NO, shown enough. see farmer and Browne

Rookie list players
Brett Connelly - YES
Chris Smith - NO, maybe one more year
Calib Mourish - NO, gorn
Luke Pratt - YES, one more year

Hopeful draft targets

Rich, Hartlett, Zeibell with first pick - I think Zeibell would be the best fit. 188cm and great at clearances. Rich beautifully skilled with his kicking. Hartlett also good at clearances.

Hill, Blease, Walters, Jetta, Pearce, Swift, Vickery, Salter, Robinson, Suban, Banner and Heyne should all be looked at closely with later picks.

Miscellaneous
New CEO to be found
Lose the "Dockers" nickname Wanted this to happen for a long time
Lose the red and green from the club colours. Only from the Jumper, we have the best most recognised emblem leave it alone

Courtesy of IP and her great painting skills, I'd love for our home/away strips to look like these next year.

alternativeguernseyjv7.jpg

alternativeguernseyawaykm8.jpg

Love those jumpers but it won't happen.
With all the retirements and just a few trades and de-listings the list will be perfectly placed to take advantage of a strong deep draft. Don't need a massive clean out.

I'd be shocked if Thornton was delisted come seasons end.

Not my favourite player but I think he is well liked(or at least highly thought of) by the coaching staff.

I should actually say that although I put him down on my list to be delisted I dont think that will be the case, just wishful thinking I guess!

With all due respect to you Chook that is utter crap.

Because I'm not crazy about the red and the green you suggest I support another team?

You were suggesting a lot more than just ditching the red and green. I just don't understand why people waste their time supporting a club where they dislike so much about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundrawolf View Post
RetirementsYES

Delist
Jeff Farmer - NO, without all the retirements maybe

I'm not quite sure how Johnson hasn't done enough to warrant an extension but Farmer has? Farmer should have been retired off at the end of last year. His on field performance this year has been non-existant (apart from one good game) and his off field antics have continued. Mark Johnson may not have done a lot, but at least he has a crack every week and his off field example to the youngsters (particularly with a large influx) is exemplary.

You were suggesting a lot more than just ditching the red and green. I just don't understand why people waste their time supporting a club where they dislike so much about it.

How, by me calling for a dropping of the red and green colours, Dockers nickname and wanting to see a change in player personnel(which we all know has to happen) is this indicitive of me disliking this club so much:confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How, by me calling for a dropping of the red and green colours, Dockers nickname and wanting to see a change in player personnel(which we all know has to happen) is this indicitive of me disliking this club so much:confused:

Try re-reading your OP. Have another look at those jumpers and tell me it's only the red and green missing.

Lose the red and green for sure but the anchor's gotta stay.

It's a great design for a jumper - simple and bold enough to give it a traditional look without being too boring like plain stripes or hoops.

Back on topic....

I think Farmer would have to be close to being delisted. He has been terrible this year. Very little contribution. I'm sure they are hoping he'll come good, but it's been a lean year. Can he ever make it back to his 2006 form?

Given all the retirements/delistings, I don't think we'll be trading all the players we'd like to trade. Murphy may go, but I think Mundy is unlikely (unless he initiates it). Warnock may go too, but again, only if he chooses. I think Webster and Dunn should be delisted, and perhaps Browne too. All three have been unable to string games together. They would only be retained for sentimental reasons, especially Webster. So I think we might be looking at something like 8-10 changes to the list.

Plus these 'new' recruits:

Hasleby
Headland
Hayden
Foster

I think 2009 will be a transitional year for us. I can't see us challenging the likes of Geelong etc, but we could do OK. It will take a couple of years to turn over the list properly. Maybe we will have to expect to take some pain in 2009 with the prospect of finals again in 2010. That will be Harvey's last year of his contract so the pressure will definitely be on. IMO it's a good thing they we've bottomed out in Harvey's first year as coach, as there will be less pressure on him to make finals next year above all else.

Build us a friggin premiership team for chrissakes. If it takes another 4 years (as seems likely) then so be it. I just don't to end up like Matt Price and not live long enough to see them get up on Grand Final day...

An anchor sinks to the bottom. I have no idea why you would choose this motif for your football club. :confused:

All clubs have had stuff they would rather forget. The Eagles had the 'Yellow Peril' and the Ochre design. Don't be afraid to reinvent yourselves.

An anchor sinks to the bottom. I have no idea why you would choose this motif for your football club. :confused:

All clubs have had stuff they would rather forget. The Eagles had the 'Yellow Peril' and the Ochre design. Don't be afraid to reinvent yourselves.
The yellow peril? Interesting name for it...

The eagles only reinvented themselves to sell merchandise.

And yet, you still went back to the original design (best looking one of course)... tradition rules over everything else I suppose... how much flack do other clubs get for trying a different design on their strips? You should read what the Melbourne fans think of the strip they played in on the weekend... with the exception of Brisbane dropping the koala off their jumper back in the early 90's, no other concept has stuck...

I have no idea why some people crap on about changing the name, the jumper, the song... you buy into it when you go for our club... the club was built on the back of coming from a location steeped in football tradition, so we're not going to change any of it...

Build a bridge and get over it...

I should also say that IP's jumper was designed as a Heritage Strip but I think they are bold and would like to see something similar in our Home/Away design.

Remove this Banner Ad

End of year overhaul required

Remove this Banner Ad

Back