Traded Esava Ratugolea [Traded to Port Adelaide for #25, #76 and #94]

Remove this Banner Ad

We had to give up Pick 18 to get Bruhn, had to trade multiple picks from this year and Cooper Stephens to get Ollie Henry and had to take on Bowes salary so GC could clear cap. Pick 7 was thrown in as an incentive.

What I’m curious about is, Port are losing no one of particular value and are somehow throwing money around to get Grundy (who everyone knows has a big contract) and Sav (who is about to get a payday)

I’m struggling to see what picks and what cap space gets it done?

Gonna have to get real creative, maybe throw a player (Lord?) back at the Cats to go with their 3rd?
Port manage their cap very well and don't overpay for the likes of Amon, Wingard, Howard and Polec who they allowed to move on in order to keep space.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cap space wouldn’t be an issue. On top of moving on Amon and Gray retiring last year, this year Jonas is retiring (5-600k), Lycett FA contract expires (650k), Dixon contract expires and will be on significantly less on a 1 year deal, Boaks out of contract and if he doesn’t retire, will be a 1 year contract on significantly less. Fantasia’s contract is up and don’t see anyway he’s retained, there’s another 400k or so.

Cap space won’t be an issue for us.

Cap space wouldn’t be an issue. On top of moving on Amon and Gray retiring last year, this year Jonas is retiring (5-600k), Lycett FA contract expires (650k), Dixon contract expires and will be on significantly less on a 1 year deal, Boaks out of contract and if he doesn’t retire, will be a 1 year contract on significantly less. Fantasia’s contract is up and don’t see anyway he’s retained, there’s another 400k or so.

Yep. Grundy and Rat basically just a straight swap for Lycett/Jonas in our cap, maybe a little bit of excess in that but not enough that any competent list manager couldn't handle it.

An extra $50k-$100k converting Scott Lycett into Brodie Grundy would be about the best $50k-$100k a club has ever spent.

Last edited:

I saw this just today when it's been simmering for the past few days, it's got to be one big gigantic stuff up. He's nowhere near worth that much money!
This is the same for media that straight faced tried to tell us TDK walked away from $5m on the table to go to Sydney. Silly to take them seriously

Except in this case where he is clearly worth every dollar and pick 3 has to be in calculations*

*sarcasm intentional

How in the heck could a washed up jonas be on 600k? Gee thats terrible.

Just a complete guess but considering he’s our captain and signed at a time he was playing good footy, I’d imagine he’d be around about that mark.

Given where he’s at now, it’s easy to forgot what a solid defender he actually was for many years.

Lots of players towards the end of their careers end up on big money for a year or two right at the finish that is probably a bit too high. It is usually balanced by earlier years not being on quite so much. How long was the contract?

He wasn't washed up when he signed that contract. Boak would probably be on similar money if not more and he's borderline best 22 at the moment as well.

We had to give up Pick 18 to get Bruhn, had to trade multiple picks from this year and Cooper Stephens to get Ollie Henry and had to take on Bowes salary so GC could clear cap. Pick 7 was thrown in as an incentive.

What I’m curious about is, Port are losing no one of particular value and are somehow throwing money around to get Grundy (who everyone knows has a big contract) and Sav (who is about to get a payday)

I’m struggling to see what picks and what cap space gets it done?

Gonna have to get real creative, maybe throw a player (Lord?) back at the Cats to go with their 3rd?

The trades for Bruhn and Ollie Henry have absolutely zero relevance to a 30 year old ruckman who Melbourne won't want to pay 700k a year to run around for Casey. Mentioning the reaming you gave GC for Bowes and a first round pick borders on utterly laughable.

When it's all said and done Geelong had all the leverage while Esava was still under contract to negotiate an equitable trade when he requested to switch clubs twelve months ago, but instead chose to stamp their feet out of ill conceived bravado/ego when even Stevie Wonder could see we'd be in this very spot in twelve months time.

The trades for Bruhn and Ollie Henry have absolutely zero relevance to a 30 year old ruckman who Melbourne won't want to pay 700k a year to run around for Casey. Mentioning the reaming you gave GC for Bowes and a first round pick borders on utterly laughable.

When it's all said and done Geelong had all the leverage while Esava was still under contract to negotiate an equitable trade when he requested to switch clubs twelve months ago, but instead chose to stamp their feet out of ill conceived bravado/ego when even Stevie Wonder could see we'd be in this very spot in twelve months time.
It was in response to people suggesting we didn't give up anything to bring in players?

Pick 18 and Pick 25 + Stephens is us giving up stuff. Bowes we had to take on salary, hence why Pick 7 was offered as incentive.

You should go have a read why it was mentioned before commenting....

As for Sav, I even suggested above trading for Lord and a 3rd rounder so that shows how much i value Sav long term.
Team holds player to contract because they are contracted, what is the issue with that? He raised his value this year with some 10 vote games for coaches votes so all "Power" to him. Don't mind if he goes lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a complete guess but considering he’s our captain and signed at a time he was playing good footy, I’d imagine he’d be around about that mark.

Given where he’s at now, it’s easy to forgot what a solid defender he actually was for many years.

He was a solid defender about 3 years ago. Now i doubt hed even be on the list if he wasnt captain. Your nunbers are probably right re fitting sav in but if jonas is true it shows port isnt as good at cap management as everyone says as he should barely be on half that.

To be fair it had nothing to do with ego it was simply we expected to play finals and we needed sav as backup for any henry injuries (which happened). I think we valued the 12 months of backup enough that we were happy to accept losing him for less now which we will.

It was in response to people suggesting we didn't give up anything to bring in players?

Pick 18 and Pick 25 + Stephens is us giving up stuff. Bowes we had to take on salary, hence why Pick 7 was offered as incentive.

You should go have a read why it was mentioned before commenting....
The Bowes trade was the greatest reaming in the history of football and you know it. "We had to take on salary". Boo ****ing hoo, you had to pay a professional footballer to play football for you. Where's our top 10 pick for taking Grundy's salary?

The Bowes trade was the greatest reaming in the history of football and you know it. "We had to take on salary". Boo ******* hoo, you had to pay a professional footballer to play football for you. Where's our top 10 pick for taking Grundy's salary?
I love how rival supporters sook and whine about this….as if they wouldn’t be falling over themselves to do the same deal if they had the chance…

I love how rival supporters sook and whine about this….as if they wouldn’t be falling over themselves to do the same deal if they had the chance…
Of course they would. Top 10 pick for absolutely nothing? I would i do it every year. It’s a bit of a joke that it was allowed though.

They're mad they didn't put in the work 3 years prior like Danger and Wells did. People forget Danger was Bowes mentor. Bowes specifically CHOSE the cats because the cats were already recruiting him. Lions, Crows, Hawks etc only wanted the pick and that's why he turned them down.

The Bowes trade was the greatest reaming in the history of football and you know it. "We had to take on salary". Boo ******* hoo, you had to pay a professional footballer to play football for you. Where's our top 10 pick for taking Grundy's salary?
You just compared Jack Bowes to former AA player Brodie Grundy....jesus lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Esava Ratugolea [Traded to Port Adelaide for #25, #76 and #94]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back