Essendon 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Like 2016, when we were given no hope? Competition is very even this year.

Parish has played like 15 good games in 5 years and has shown he can't handle a tag.
Stringer plays one good game every 5 weeks.

Daniher was your marque player.

In 2017 he was he had one good year at Essendon and that’s one thing is for sure I don’t miss his terrible goal kicking

At least my club played finals this year what have Carlton achieved?

How many coaches is that now that Carlton have hired/sacked in a space of 10 years 8?

How about you worry about your own club

You guys got predictably belted, makes absolutely no difference after Bradburying your way into 8th spot on a decidedly low number of wins.

The Blues were shocking this year, but amidst all the losses did manage to belt the emerging Bombers.

Not all doom and gloom.

You guys got predictably belted, makes absolutely no difference after Bradburying your way into 8th spot on a decidedly low number of wins.

The Blues were shocking this year, but amidst all the losses did manage to belt the emerging Bombers.

Not all doom and gloom.

we won 3 games on the trot to get there hardly Bradbury not Essendons fault that other teams around them failed

I would argue GWS missing on their selections traded for Shiel does compromise the trade.

Is it relevant what value was set if we are getting a return on investment for that player, while the capital for the Bombers is largely confined to the VFL.

I see as little logic in what you’re accounting. Concrete performance is still more informative than theoretical performance.

I just don’t think a Saad vs Reid comparisons is a good way to evaluate the trade. Maybe it’s a fun way for fans to look back and see who “won” the trade but to me Carlton paid overs in terms of draft capital for Reid’s success or lack there of has very little to do with it.

Not all doom and gloom.
I'm sure whoever Bradbury's his way into your head coaching gig will be thrilled you "belted" a top 8 team by 16 points 4 months ago

Essendon clearly has one of the best midfields in the game. I mean, it's not a debatable thing - they just do. Two of them made AA this year, the third (Stringer) is by CD measure the best player in the game (maybe second).

lol, Essendons midfield isn't even top 5, let alone "one of the best".

We won our games to deserve it. Beat those below us and added to their loss tallies. Bit rich coming from a team that bradburied their way into 8th on 11 wins in 2013 ahead of a team with 14.

Was hilarious to see the optimism after that win. If only they knew what was to come.

You didn't really belt us, we were with you the whole game and you got some junk-time goals close to the end.

I do remember it being your Grand Final though, was cute to see.

Not all doom and gloom.

No. You're right. It's just doom at the moment.

Gloom is coming soon.

I had Saad as our best against Essendon, capped it off with the sealing goal.

Keen to see how the Brownlow votes go for that game.

Yes Carroll will get plenty of opportunity, that’s the point. If he plays well he should feature in most games, and really deserved games in the back half of the year.

Currently though Saad is the only player to come from that trade turning the dial, and given his good contribution this year a little disingenuous to say you ‘swindled’ the Blues on what was effectively Pick 12. We certainly overpayed, but that was based on his contract status and not his output as a player which continued this year.

Of course if Reid turns out to be a bust it’s a moot point.

Was it you or @Kreeeeeuuzzz that vehemently stated Carlton would not under any circumstance involve pick 8 for Adam?

Your track record isn’t great at these sorts of predictions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't really belt us, we were with you the whole game and you got some junk-time goals close to the end.

Why the **** would you care what a Carlton fan thinks? :D

They are broken internally - totally insignificant.

You have to be in it to win it, which Essendon aren't.

Essendon are a disappointment, but don't take it out on us. Even Essendon royalty in Daniher couldn't wait to leave that rabble. Seems almost every year something negative happens with that club.

Disappointment is having one of the youngest premiership teams and not building a dynasty on that.

That’s disappointing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like 2016, when we were given no hope? Competition is very even this year.

Parish has played like 15 good games in 5 years and has shown he can't handle a tag.
Stringer plays one good game every 5 weeks.

Daniher was your marque player.

Stop making shut up. You look like a dill

Disappointment is having one of the youngest premiership teams and not building a dynasty on that.

That’s disappointing

Love the salt. We have JUH and Darcy, the best KPF prospects of the last few years, we'll be right.

Hawthorn won in 2008 then went bang in 2013-2015.

Last edited:

That’s disappointing

The Doggies are overrated because of that win tbh. Literally had the luckiest of runs in all of AFL history, getting players back during the bye while all other clubs were nursing injuries.

And did it while Hawthorn's 2015 dynasty was closing up and just before Richmond's 2017 dynasty was opening up. Right place at the right time. Kissed on the dick by the footy leprechaun.

Have been inflated in status ever since. Now a shadow. And ageing (5th for age).

Last edited:
Love the salt. We have JUH and Darcy, the best KPF prospects of the last few years, we'll be right.

Hawthorn won in 2008 then went bang in 2012-2015.

Dogs won in 2016 and then went diarrhea. In fact, they didn't even earn 2016.

Don't equate the two - the quality difference isn't something I'd enjoy pointing out.

Great season for the Bombers. They have a coach with a plan. They have a list that has young talent but is actually really based around the 22-25 year old guys which means it's less likely to be a flash in the pan. They weren't disgraced today, in fact they should've been well up at half time. The Dogs were just more experienced and better suited to handle the wet and the grind of a final.

Backline:
What a transformation. Anyone who watched Laverde do nothing but cameos as a forward for years on end and be really good as a junior down back knew he was a defender, but it's still surprising that he's so good in the contest. Heppell hardly a shock either that he's solid down back. Hind definitely a surprise, not so much that he's a run and carry machine, but that he's decent enough if other aspects. Then Stewart has shocked me with how well he's reading the play and picking his spots as a deep defender. Any half decent and mobile tall forward can be decent down back, but he seems natural. Which means he's getting good coaching and direction too. To have rebuilt a backline that can both defend and attack within 1 year is really solid work.

Midfield:
This is where they've got the most room to improve quickly if Cox, Perkins and Caldwell all come on now they've had a taste and if McGrath can get healthy. As good as Parrish and Merrett are there was probably too much left to them. You want Merrett getting forward of the play more. Durham is a nice find and Langford was solid this year I think (he's hard to read). Either way there's a chance they start to bat deep pretty quickly through the middle.

Forward:
Probably the biggest question mark. Does Wright stay as the back up ruck, or can he be a consistent forward? I've always felt the ruck helps him get in to game. If they are chasing Mabs Chol does he get backed in to play a role? How much is Harry Jones ready for. Do they keep Francis as a key forward or make him fight for a spot down back? Probably just a matter continuing to build up the small and medium depth as well but that should happen with time.

There's been so much talk about them not getting ahead of themselves but I actually think they shouldn't be afraid to bring in anyone 25 and under if they can genuinely help, it's just a matter of value. If there's a specific role that they value and can get at the right price then that's different to loading up entirely.

And I wouldn't rule out veterans either if they are for a select spot and bring more to the group than on field help. Hooker and Ambrose have retired. Not sure what the status of Phillips, Hurley and Zaharakis are but it will only be them and Heppell over 30. Go get Tom Lynch from the Crows and play him half a dozen games and have a playing coach if you want to really drill attacking ball movement and you want another veteran in the room.

Great season for the Bombers. They have a coach with a plan. They have a list that has young talent but is actually really based around the 22-25 year old guys which means it's less likely to be a flash in the pan. They weren't disgraced today, in fact they should've been well up at half time. The Dogs were just more experienced and better suited to handle the wet and the grind of a final.

Backline:
What a transformation. Anyone who watched Laverde do nothing but cameos as a forward for years on end and be really good as a junior down back knew he was a defender, but it's still surprising that he's so good in the contest. Heppell hardly a shock either that he's solid down back. Hind definitely a surprise, not so much that he's a run and carry machine, but that he's decent enough if other aspects. Then Stewart has shocked me with how well he's reading the play and picking his spots as a deep defender. Any half decent and mobile tall forward can be decent down back, but he seems natural. Which means he's getting good coaching and direction too. To have rebuilt a backline that can both defend and attack within 1 year is really solid work.

Midfield:
This is where they've got the most room to improve quickly if Cox, Perkins and Caldwell all come on now they've had a taste and if McGrath can get healthy. As good as Parrish and Merrett are there was probably too much left to them. You want Merrett getting forward of the play more. Durham is a nice find and Langford was solid this year I think (he's hard to read). Either way there's a chance they start to bat deep pretty quickly through the middle.

Forward:
Probably the biggest question mark. Does Wright stay as the back up ruck, or can he be a consistent forward? I've always felt the ruck helps him get in to game. If they are chasing Mabs Chol does he get backed in to play a role? How much is Harry Jones ready for. Do they keep Francis as a key forward or make him fight for a spot down back? Probably just a matter continuing to build up the small and medium depth as well but that should happen with time.

There's been so much talk about them not getting ahead of themselves but I actually think they shouldn't be afraid to bring in anyone 25 and under if they can genuinely help, it's just a matter of value. If there's a specific role that they value and can get at the right price then that's different to loading up entirely.

And I wouldn't rule out veterans either if they are for a select spot and bring more to the group than on field help. Hooker and Ambrose have retired. Not sure what the status of Phillips, Hurley and Zaharakis are but it will only be them and Heppell over 30. Go get Tom Lynch from the Crows and play him half a dozen games and have a playing coach if you want to really drill attacking ball movement and you want another veteran in the room.
Lol, you're making too much sense dude, clearly in the wrong thread 😂.

The Doggies are overrated because of that win tbh. Literally had the luckiest of runs in all of AFL history, getting players back during the bye while all other clubs were nursing injuries.

And did it while Hawthorn's 2015 dynasty was closing up and just before Richmond's 2017 dynasty was opening up. Right place at the right time. Kissed on the dick by the footy leprechaun.

Have been inflated in status ever since. Now a shadow. And ageing (7th for experience).
No doubt Dogs were very lucky to have that bye. If any of the other clubs playing finals had got the bye, it could have been a different story.

Backline:

Midfield:

Forward:

Sorry mate, this post is far too measured for this thread. Please tell us how teams who didn't make the 8 are in far more advantageous positions than us.

Hawthorn won in 2008 then went bang in 2013-2015.*

Hawthorn were 2nd and the second best team in 2008. Then actually managed to finish in the Top 4 three years later; winning a final - the minor premiership four years later; winning 2 finals + making the GF - and the minor premiership five years later; winning the flag.

What have you done?

You were bottom 8, lost 2 finals in a row outside of the Top 4, didn't finish in the Top 4 in the 5th year, struggled against 8th until half-time, and won't win the flag this year. You're approaching the 6th - at which point the Hawks were at their fourth Top 4 appearance in a row, and a 2nd flag into their dynasty by then.

You are delusional. Which explains your posts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back