Essendon 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Very happy with our season. Made the finals when a lot the other teams that were supposed to be better than us fell apart. We were tipped to finish bottom 4 at the start of the season. I think nearly every Essendon fan sees this season as a win when this was meant to be a bottoming out year. We have very young list and going to be better next year.

No going backwards next season we need to go one better and that’s finishing top 5 and wining a final or 2

Anything less and it’s a complete failure
Which teams do you think we overtake next season? I feel we've over-performed this season, i still feel we're behind Geelong,
Dogs ( fully fit), Swans, Lions, Power, Dees and we don't know how a Richmond, St Kilda or a West coast perform next season. I think getting 8th will be harder as well, as everyone around us were dropping points to teams they were expected to beat.

Which teams do you think we overtake next season? I feel we've over-performed this season, i still feel we're behind Geelong,
Dogs ( fully fit), Swans, Lions, Power, Dees and we don't know how a Richmond, St Kilda or a West coast perform next season. I think getting 8th will be harder as well, as everyone around us were dropping points to teams they were expected to beat.

Who knows but that’s what we get for playing finals before our time we now have to go one better the next year.

Well that’s what we get for playing finals before our time we now have to go one better the next year.
I hear what you're trying to say, but i feel improvement can be made without necessarily moving up the ladder, as i feel that's just too binary to see things. For instance, all kids that are drafted to us don't improve linearly, so a perkins, cox, durham doesn't necessarily improve their output as they're a year more experienced, we don't know if Parish can maintain the level of form this year, next year, as teams will look to stifle us with new tactics, game plans. etc... so negating factors like this can offset improvements made on the ladder position, and we don't know if the draw will favour us or hinder us, as we don't play teams home and away twice like in other sports, its just play every team once and 5 other teams twice. But we'll see, hopefully we don't regress and can push on to make finals and compete.

I hear what you're trying to say, but i feel improvement can be made without necessarily moving up the ladder, as i feel that's just too binary to see things. For instance, all kids that are drafted to us don't improve linearly, so a perkins, cox, durham doesn't necessarily improve their output as they're a year more experienced, we don't know if Parish can maintain the level of form this year, next year, as teams will look to stifle us with new tactics, game plans. etc... so negating factors like this can offset improvements made on the ladder position, and we don't know if the draw will favour us or hinder us, as we don't play teams home and away twice like in other sports, its just play every team once and 5 other teams twice. But we'll see, hopefully we don't regress and can push on to make finals and compete.

That’s what I’m worried about that we will regress and not improve on what we achieved this season

Boys need to make a pact as a group/team in the off season and say enough is enough

Good year. I was hoping for 6-8 wins and an avoidance of bottom 4. Managed to get into finals. Hopefully we get a couple of cheap trades ala Hind/Wright and play well again next year. I wouldn't be too surprised if we missed finals but that's also fine.

Our forward line was the second most efficient through the home and away season. We'll hopefully get improvement from Wright to be that 35-40 goal a year man and hopefully Jones gets stronger as well. Walla is important too, and hopefully Snelling and Smith can maintain their current outputs going forward.

Midfield is strong but a little unbalanced. Probably need another defensively minded inside mid, taking McGrath away from that role today hurt us, but it's a relatively easy fix. Draper being the monster that he is helps but he won't be able to have that influence every week.

Defence we probably need one more tall to get the ideal balance but hopefully Zach Reid can come in and play well next year, with Cutler and Gleeson probably falling out of today's back 7.

Overall, hoping we see improvement from most and maybe a few games from Baldwin, Bryan, Reid next year.

Supposed to be BOTTOM 4

Finished TOP 8

Way above expectations. Can't stagnate though - need to keep BUILDING.

Clearly need to go up a few levels but for 10 blokes that was their first final.

LEARN FROM IT, GET BETTER, PUT IN THE HARD WORK in the off season and GO AGAIN.

Lets look at those expert 2021 Predictions for context

Tom Morris
Geelong Port Adelaide Richmond St Kilda
Brisbane Western Bulldogs Melbourne West Coast

Garry Lyon
Geelong Port Adelaide Richmond Brisbane
West Coast Western Bulldogs St Kilda Collingwood

Tim Watson
Richmond Port Adelaide Geelong St Kilda
Brisbane West Coast Western Bulldogs Carlton

Kane Cornes
Brisbane Port Adelaide West Coast Geelong
Western Bulldogs Carlton Richmond Melbourne

Dwayne Russell
Port Adelaide Richmond Geelong West Coast
Brisbane St Kilda Western Bulldogs Collingwood

Bob Murphy
Port Adelaide Richmond Brisbane Western Bulldogs
Geelong West Coast Carlton GWS

By odd, you mean factual?

What was incorrect about my statement that 1) you won't have the softest draw next year after playing finals, and 2) you don't have a top 12 draft pick this year?

Try a less salty diet.
Neither matters to be frank.

The talent is on the list. Harrison Jones will be a necessary addition key forward. They have another young full forward in Kaine Baldwin.

Their future full back Zach Reid will play games next year.

They have the Davey twins arriving next year to solve future small forward needs.

Perkins will develop into a powerful inside midfielder. Jye Caldwell is another inside midfielder that’s highly rated.

The draw is neither here or there. They will be in the middle six.

Essendon’s challenge is to remain focussed as a total club. I think Josh Mahoney has been excellent building the footy department. They have all the coaches in place and a great recruiting team.

They may be around the 6-10 area next year however what matters is 24-36 months forward. As long as the club remains grounded what happens next year is almost ‘whatever’.

Blue skies ahead for Essendon.

Is their any proof Zach Reid is any good?

Bombres fans love playing the ‘Saad card’ yet the pick they got in return for him has played a grand total of 2 games.

Meanwhile Saad has had a great first season including a best on ground performance against his previous club.

I’m backing Carroll to play more senior footy than Reid next year too just quietly.
Of course there’s no proof. However I know there’s a few inside Essendon who believe he’s the best of the three picks they had last year. He played one game this year and had 9 intercepts and showed plenty. I’m it concerned about him.

Rutten seems like a good coach, putting Parish in the midfield has been an excellent move and he has gotten everyone on board and buying in.

Stringer had his best season since ‘15 and he convinced Merrett to commit.

Still some big holes in their list though so it would be a big mistake to think they are on the cusp of a flag. Still should embrace the ‘refresh’ mentality.
Where are the big holes on the list?

Where are the big holes on the list?

Only significant one I can think of is at FF. Obviously we give Wright a go next year but he may just be a stop gap player in that role.

I think there are 3 key ingredients to top sides:

1. High level of overall talent
2. High level of continuity of the playing group.
3. Quality coaching and game plan/structure

Given the demographics of our list and building faith in Rutten and his assistants I think 2 & 3 can be ticked off as achievable.

It’s achieving number 1 that is hard and requires a bit of luck. Hopefully our high upside players; Perkins, Cox, Reid, Jones and Draper can be key drivers in getting the overall talent level of the list to point where we can contend.

If we continue to grab bargain quality contributors from nothing selections in Hind, Snelling and Durham that will also be key in having a best 22 that is strong across the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only significant one I can think of is at FF. Obviously we give Wright a go next year but he may just be a stop gap player in that role.

Given the demographics of our list and building faith in Rutten and his assistants I think 2 & 3 can be ticked off as achievable.

It’s achieving number 1 that is hard and requires a bit of luck. Hopefully our high upside players; Perkins, Cox, Reid, Jones and Draper can be key drivers in getting the overall talent level of the list to point where we can contend.

If we continue to grab bargain quality contributors from nothing selections in Hind, Snelling and Durham that will also be key in having a best 22 that is strong across the field.

The constant commentary about lacking a genuine crumbing small forward yesterday doesn't make you think we could use one of those? Tippungwuti is great, but with him out it's painfully obvious he's the only one we've got aside from Mosqutio who may not go on next year post ACL.

The constant commentary about lacking a genuine crumbing small forward yesterday doesn't make you think we could use one of those? Tippungwuti is great, but with him out it's painfully obvious he's the only one we've got aside from Mosqutio who may not go on next year post ACL.

I don’t really think we can say it’s a hole when Tippa was the best crumbing forward in the comp for the first half of the year.

For mine the clear hole is the long term viability of Peter Wright as our number 1 KPF as while I really high on Jones I’m not sure he profiles as that type of player.

If Franga leave Hurley goes back. If he doesn't you surely play Hurls forward.
Just a question do you go kids up forward or try to get a Tom McDonald or Weideman.
I'd prefer Hurls, Stringer and kids (Jones, Brand, Baldwin)

Just a question do you go kids up forward or try to get a Tom McDonald or Weideman.

Doubt Francis leaves but do see any production from him as a bonus at this point.

I don’t really think we can say it’s a hole when Tippa was the best crumbing forward in the comp for the first half of the year.

For mine the clear hole is the long term viability of Peter Wright as our number 1 KPF as while I really high on Jones I’m not sure he profiles as that type of player.

As in having 1 solitary player on the list who can do it at an AFL standard. You'd want two buzzing around IMO, at least that way we're not 100% reliant on Tipungwuti to get it done when he's playing, or lacking that when he's not. We've been blessed that he's been incredibly durable.

They may however they have Baldwin who’s risky (knee history) but very talented.

They may however they have Baldwin who’s risky (knee history) but very talented.

Yeah having Baldwin, Eyre and Brand on the list could mean the situation resolves itself heck Reid or Cox could also end up marking forwards but until someone actually does it it’s a clear hole.

Fingers crossed Wright grabs it with both hands next year.

Hands up any Essendon supporter that is unhappy with what is going on there at the moment?

Personally I'm f****** thrilled
I'm probably older than you. I remember when Essendon fans thought anything less than top of the ladder, or a Grand Final appearance was under-achieving. But I suppose 2 decades of failure & coaching disasters would have the effect of lowering fan expectations.

You only have to look at when each club last won a final:

• Western Bulldogs
  • Melbourne
  • GWS Giants
  • Port Adelaide

• Richmond
  • Geelong
  • Brisbane
  • St Kilda
  • Collingwood

• West Coast

• Adelaide
  • Sydney

• Hawthorn
  • Fremantle
  • North Melbourne

• Carlton

• Essendon

vFHckhfM.png

Great season for the Bombers. They have a coach with a plan. They have a list that has young talent but is actually really based around the 22-25 year old guys which means it's less likely to be a flash in the pan. They weren't disgraced today, in fact they should've been well up at half time. The Dogs were just more experienced and better suited to handle the wet and the grind of a final.

Backline:
What a transformation. Anyone who watched Laverde do nothing but cameos as a forward for years on end and be really good as a junior down back knew he was a defender, but it's still surprising that he's so good in the contest. Heppell hardly a shock either that he's solid down back. Hind definitely a surprise, not so much that he's a run and carry machine, but that he's decent enough if other aspects. Then Stewart has shocked me with how well he's reading the play and picking his spots as a deep defender. Any half decent and mobile tall forward can be decent down back, but he seems natural. Which means he's getting good coaching and direction too. To have rebuilt a backline that can both defend and attack within 1 year is really solid work.

Midfield:
This is where they've got the most room to improve quickly if Cox, Perkins and Caldwell all come on now they've had a taste and if McGrath can get healthy. As good as Parrish and Merrett are there was probably too much left to them. You want Merrett getting forward of the play more. Durham is a nice find and Langford was solid this year I think (he's hard to read). Either way there's a chance they start to bat deep pretty quickly through the middle.

Forward:
Probably the biggest question mark. Does Wright stay as the back up ruck, or can he be a consistent forward? I've always felt the ruck helps him get in to game. If they are chasing Mabs Chol does he get backed in to play a role? How much is Harry Jones ready for. Do they keep Francis as a key forward or make him fight for a spot down back? Probably just a matter continuing to build up the small and medium depth as well but that should happen with time.

There's been so much talk about them not getting ahead of themselves but I actually think they shouldn't be afraid to bring in anyone 25 and under if they can genuinely help, it's just a matter of value. If there's a specific role that they value and can get at the right price then that's different to loading up entirely.

And I wouldn't rule out veterans either if they are for a select spot and bring more to the group than on field help. Hooker and Ambrose have retired. Not sure what the status of Phillips, Hurley and Zaharakis are but it will only be them and Heppell over 30. Go get Tom Lynch from the Crows and play him half a dozen games and have a playing coach if you want to really drill attacking ball movement and you want another veteran in the room.
I doubt even the most positive bombers supporter saw that backline coming together.
ex-defenders make good coaches. ;)

I think Francis goes back once Jones is fit & Chol slides in easily enough. Though there is Bryan as well, who strikes me as an English-type ruck. So maybe we do a Bevo and chuck him forward.
The fwd line personnel certainly needs work
And we need another cog or two in the middle.

Phillips i think has re-signed. Zaka unlikely to get a contract though Hurley has indicated he'll go on i think.

If anything we need our Toby Greene. Player who can impact the game and make things happen from the fwd line or middle.
Whether it comes from the list, we draft them in, or recruit them from another club.

Said it elsewhere, this is the best shape we've been in as a club coming into an offseason in a very long time.

I doubt we target either of the Dees lads, though i do like McDonald.
Francis should go back in '22 with Jones back
Chol has been linked as an AFL ready option (Eyre and Baldwin are both young and raw, neither are safe bets either)

Gotta love BOO and his desperate need to change the story to suit his agenda. Expected to finish bottom 4, second most votes in the "who will win the spoon" thread and finished in the top 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back