Roast Essendon in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Beat a bang average Hawthorn in R1 who basically struggle to score yet managed 28 scoring shots & had they'd been more accurate would've won and beat St Kilda without Max King and also missed some sitters...should be 0-4...will finish bottom 5.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Essendon are being coached better and are developing a game style that is competitive against most teams - Port played their best game for the year yesterday whilst enjoying height advantages in the defensive and forward lines - the score doesn't reflect a lot of good work that the coaches and team have been doing.

cause he was a money hungry selfish footballer who wanted to do his own thing when asked to buy in left.

same thing happened at Gold Coast
Yep, asked to buy in and he left... :tearsofjoy: meanwhile he's arguably our most reliable defender and frequently sacrifices his own game to lock down on oppo's best smalls.

Perhaps the campaigners running ur joint just wanted to smear his name on his way out?

Beat a bang average Hawthorn in R1 who basically struggle to score yet managed 28 scoring shots & had they'd been more accurate would've won and beat St Kilda without Max King and also missed some sitters...should be 0-4...will finish bottom 5.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I said this before round 1 and even Essendon supporters laughed at me.

Average mature players (bar a select couple that every team has) with very little in the way of promising (elite) youth. Even Perkins who appeared to be coming good has hit a setback (hamstring)

Yep, asked to buy in and he left... :tearsofjoy: meanwhile he's arguably our most reliable defender and frequently sacrifices his own game to lock down on oppo's best smalls.

Perhaps the campaigners running ur joint just wanted to smear his name on his way out?
nuh, probably got told some home truths that pulling that shit at a third AFL club would likely see his career end. Growing up is apart of the cycle of life.

I think Essendon are being coached better and are developing a game style that is competitive against most teams - Port played their best game for the year yesterday whilst enjoying height advantages in the defensive and forward lines - the score doesn't reflect a lot of good work that the coaches and team have been doing.
all jokes aside, people acting like one of the premiership favourites on there home deck missing very few against a team likely finishing bottom 6 with a few key players out is some sort of major achievement.

Port did what they needed to do and we did what any bottom side would do when pressured. fold under pressure

all jokes aside, people acting like one of the premiership favourites on there home deck missing very few against a team likely finishing bottom 6 with a few key players out is some sort of major achievement.

Port did what they needed to do and we did what any bottom side would do when pressured. fold under pressure
Rozee broke the game open - it was an amazing personal performance. What changed in the game that had me scratching my head was how teh Port mids were allowed so much forward of the contest space to run into- and mainly off the back of the tap work direction of the Port Ruckman- it was copy paste for too long and left unattended to by the Essendon Ruckmen and midfield structures -something that can easily be addressed by the coaches.

I think it is a tad harsh to expect the team to win whilst conceding a significant height advantage forward and back.

IMO - the scoreline reflected the compounding effects of the mismatches all over the park.

Still- Rozee's individual running brilliance - was the one bloke who turned the game from what was an arm wrestle into a win (IMO).

cause he was a money hungry selfish footballer who wanted to do his own thing when asked to buy in left.

same thing happened at Gold Coast
Strange take. He’s a selfless backman at Carlton. So possibly more about Carlton v Essendon culture, rather than the individual.
Essendon would love his run and bounce drive and skills right now. Was a Bad loss.

I wasn't expecting a win last night but at least compete.

We were doing that in first qrt and then it all fell apart.

Our midfield,stoppage and contested work has been a strength this year but last night the midfield was complelty destroyed. How the heck do you keep letting the likes of JHF and Rozze etc run free at the front of the stoppage not one essendon mid layed a glove on them or wanted to go near them its inexcusable

Hope Brad flogs the mids this week they were the main culprits last night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Essendon faithful would be dissapointed after bringing in Goldstein, Mckay, Gresham and Dursma
I think they have brought in far better than they have drafted in recent times. Which means development may be their biggest issue.
Ben McKay was great last night, Gresham good. Goldstein is better than Draper…but that says more about Draper than the old
Warhorse Todd.

nuh, probably got told some home truths that pulling that s**t at a third AFL club would likely see his career end. Growing up is apart of the cycle of life.

Saad was offered a 4 year deal @ 600k by Essendon? Who offers that to a selfish player that won’t buy in, that is one slip up away from his career ending?

More likely he saw the trajectory of both clubs and made a great career choice.

Last edited:
Rozee broke the game open - it was an amazing personal performance. What changed in the game that had me scratching my head was how teh Port mids were allowed so much forward of the contest space to run into- and mainly off the back of the tap work direction of the Port Ruckman- it was copy paste for too long and left unattended to by the Essendon Ruckmen and midfield structures -something that can easily be addressed by the coaches.

I think it is a tad harsh to expect the team to win whilst conceding a significant height advantage forward and back.

IMO - the scoreline reflected the compounding effects of the mismatches all over the park.

Still- Rozee's individual running brilliance - was the one bloke who turned the game from what was an arm wrestle into a win (IMO).
Rozee is a good player but we made him look like prime Chris Judd last night.

Again, no slight on Connor but the amount of leeway we afforded them was symbolic of a team that doesn't know what it is doing.

As for the KPP stocks, Essendon just unable to keep any on the park. Weidemann (shit), Hunter (season), Baldwin (unknown / season?), Reid (Hamstring 4+ weeks), 2MP (suspended).

the one thing that can be controlled from the coach is endeavour and last night was no exception. Scott should make a statement and drop a Parish or Sam Draper imho. Put the rest of the group on watch. Make Darcy play at Windy Hill

Strange take. He’s a selfless backman at Carlton. So possibly more about Carlton v Essendon culture, rather than the individual.
Essendon would love his run and bounce drive and skills right now. Was a Bad loss.

Saad was offered a 4 year deal @ 600k contract by Essendon? Who offers that to a selfish player that won’t buy in, that is one slip up away from his career ending?

More likely he saw the trajectory of both clubs and made a great career choice.
From my understanding we didn't want to meet his demands. He was already on a knifes edge as a defensive backmen.

Good get by Carlton, apparently we came (back) in late matching Carltons offer but he was already turned

I think they have brought in far better than they have drafted in recent times. Which means development may be their biggest issue.
Ben McKay was great last night, Gresham good. Goldstein is better than Draper…but that says more about Draper than the old
Warhorse Todd.
The development at Essendon has been horrendous for a decade. Our VFL program is an absolute shambles. Box Hill / Hawthorn have it down pat. Casey / Melbourne have it down pat even a club like Richmond who are stand alone (AFL side) have a better idea.

Someone can correct me but I thought the Essendon District Football League was one of the better metro comps in Melbourne. The fact we cant be competitive form that pool let alone building from surrounding teams is an indictment on Essendon as a whole.

From my understanding we didn't want to meet his demands. He was already on a knifes edge as a defensive backmen.

Good get by Carlton, apparently we came (back) in late matching Carltons offer but he was already turned
Was a shocker. Now an AA back flanker, and already in Brad Johnson’s rolling AA team for this year as well. Running machine. Would love him at the Hawks. Rarely misses a target.

Honestly they are pretty lucky not to be 0-4.

That being said 0-4 would long term be a better position for them than whatever they are going for at the moment.

Long live another year of Essington.

Not even a pile-on really.

WCE and Essendon had a great rivalry back in the day.

Obviously WCE are a joke on-field currently but Essendon have been basically irrelevant since 2001.

Now, people with the old VFL mindset might enjoy that but I think it's good for the competition to have a variety of clubs have a turn at the top.

Pretty ******* boring seeing the same-old's at the pointy end for what feels like an eternity.
Great post entirely agree. And I have no idea how to fix it. Same as the club it seems. Over it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Essendon in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back