Roast Essendon in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Collingwood, Essendon fell victim to the "attack the 2020 draft" battle plan. Attacking weak drafts is a one-way ticket to no man's land as Richmond found out with the 2004 draft, and Melbourne in 2008-2009.

Three picks in the top 10 for a return of Archie Perkins, Nik Cox and Zach Reid. That is rough. This was the same off-season where Essendon convinced a contracted Josh Dunkley to join their club, who would've been huge, but Dodoro refused to give the Dogs what they wanted.

Absolutely horrendous first round drafting these past few years.

Perkins, Cox and Reid from a few years ago are all either spuds, or injured.

Tsatas already has rumblings about him being trade bait as he can't kick and won't have a spot in the side any time soon due to others being better at his position.

Hobbs probably going to request a trade for the same reasons as Tsatas.

Their 2 biggest wins have been an SSP and mid season draftee.

At least Caddy looks a success.

Dodo needs to be loaded into a canon and fired into the sun.
If our forward line is firing the cannon they will probably miss the sun and Dodo will land somewhere back near the Hangar again 🤡

Like Collingwood, Essendon fell victim to the "attack the 2020 draft" battle plan. Attacking weak drafts is a one-way ticket to no man's land as Richmond found out with the 2004 draft, and Melbourne in 2008-2009.

Three picks in the top 10 for a return of Archie Perkins, Nik Cox and Zach Reid. That is rough. This was the same off-season where Essendon convinced a contracted Josh Dunkley to join their club, who would've been huge, but Dodoro refused to give the Dogs what they wanted.
It wasn’t Essendon plan to ‘attack the draft.’ Daniher and Saad left despite the club making them contract offers. Those two leaving resulted in two first round draft picks going to the club to join the natural first round pick.

It wasn’t Essendon plan to ‘attack the draft.’ Daniher and Saad left despite the club making them contract offers. Those two leaving resulted in two first round draft picks going to the club to join the natural first round pick.
That didn't preclude your club from making savvier decisions. Could've tried to trade one, if not all of them for future picks in the much stronger draft, or better yet, figured out a way to get the Dunkley trade done. I believe Essendon's final offer for Dunkley was one of those top 10 picks + a second rounder, which the Bulldogs were always going to flatly reject.

Meanwhile you look at Geelong, they paid the kitchen sink for Jeremy Cameron the same year and reaped the rewards. Instead of being stingy at the table like Dodoro, they just got their deal done and have a flag to show for it.

That didn't preclude your club from making savvier decisions. Could've tried to trade one, if not all of them for future picks in the much stronger draft, or better yet, figured out a way to get the Dunkley trade done. I believe Essendon's final offer for Dunkley was one of those top 10 picks + a second rounder, which the Bulldogs were always going to flatly reject.

Meanwhile you look at Geelong, they paid the kitchen sink for Jeremy Cameron the same year and reaped the rewards. Instead of being stingy at the table like Dodoro, they just got their deal done and have a flag to show for it.

Dunkley would not be making this team a flag contender.

Dunkley would not be making this team a flag contender.
Didn't say anything about being a flag contender, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think he'd add a lot to your squad. Could well have been the point of difference between winning a final and continuing your 20-year drought. Every single Brisbane fan will tell you he's been a sensational pickup for them, and I can't imagine anyone would take all three of Perkins, Cox and Reid over Josh Dunkley alone.

Didn't say anything about being a flag contender, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think he'd add a lot to your squad. Could well have been the point of difference between winning a final and continuing your 20-year drought. Every single Brisbane fan will tell you he's been a sensational pickup for them, and I can't imagine anyone would take all three of Perkins, Cox and Reid over Josh Dunkley alone.

Of course they are happy but our list is not their list. Us winning a quarter final doesn't move us closer to a flag anymore than making finals and losing them does opposed to missing the finals. Dunkley moves Durham or Caldwell move out of the middle and we have as many good mids that can't play other positions as we do now. The right move was to trade those picks forward a year, not for Josh.

I'd be interested to know how sad kreuze_missile is about Adrian Dodoro leaving, and where he ranks compared to Chris Pelchen when it comes to quality recruiters and list managers.
Don't think Pelchen ever won Trade Week but Dodoro has about 15 plaques on his wall for all his wins.

Cox, Perkins, Reid is looking horrific in hindsight, all busts

I'd be interested to know how sad kreuze_missile is about Adrian Dodoro leaving, and where he ranks compared to Chris Pelchen when it comes to quality recruiters and list managers.

I have been very flat since the news broke and will be wearing black tape around my arm at the footy this weekend in Dodo’s honour.

Chris Pelchen is the greatest list manager of all time according to Chris Pelchen. He stands alone and there is comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From second on the ladder to out of the eight in a few weeks. Their pizz poor % was always a give away that they were above their true station. Now have the 15th placed % so still above where percentage places them.

But tonight, the Essendon Edge hahahahahaha

Another 400+ days to add to the massive no finals win counter. A lot of mediocre players been recruited and traded in.
maskmcgee , your thoughts mate?

Had a much better list to work with.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
maybe but was North Melbourne's list of 2014-6 which made finals, that much better than the current Essendon list?

Brad Scott wasn't exactly handed a premiership list in his 2010-19 stint at North.

maybe but was North Melbourne's list of 2014-6 which made finals, that much better than the current Essendon list?

Brad Scott wasn't exactly handed a premiership list in his 2010-19 stint at North.
Although they weren't world beaters under Scott, NM list were head and shoulders above what Essendon's list is today.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking back at it, I don't think Brad Scott in his 10 year stint at North Melbourne wasn't too bad.

We had a far better list if you look at it in retrospect.

To start, wells and harvey. One was a very smooth running top mid and the other was an all-time great.

Then we had youngster ziebell cunnington starting who turned out pretty good.

Had petrie as one of the 2 power forward (other being travis cloke) and livewire thomas as small forward.

Thompson in defense later joined by Tarrant.

Goldstein was just starting, we all know how he turned out...

Along the way we also had a plethora of very dependable players across the ground i.e. atley, adams, dumont, gibson, swallow, bastinac etc.

Scott doesn't seem to have as much talent at his disposal but much greater expectation as the board think E is top 4.

I have been very flat since the news broke and will be wearing black tape around my arm at the footy this weekend in Dodo’s honour.

Chris Pelchen is the greatest list manager of all time according to Chris Pelchen. He stands alone and there is comparison.
pic or GTFO

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Essendon in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back