Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon v. Melbourne

What's at stake?

This proves to be the game that will make or break Essendon this season. We sit at 5-9 and 2 games away from the 8. This game is not only important in that we need the win, but the confidence of our players is down. A win on the weekend would see us gain some confidence with West Coast the following week. We lose this match and the bottom 4 beckons. Melbourne jump us and we will be fighting against West Coast, Port Adelaide and Richmond.

What does History say?

Well we have played Melbourne a total of 205 times. We have won 126 lost 77 and drawn 2.

We've also won the past few.

Important Players

Cale Hooker: For the second time, young Cale will be forced to hold down the backline, although he may get some help from a younger Michael Hurley. No doubt a big game from the full-back will prove vital in an Essendon victory.

Jay Neagle: The anvil makes his long awaited return to senior AFL football after that incident against Geelong in round 1. Bendigo watchers have reported that big Jay has been working on fitness, more so than goal kicking so expect maybe a 2 or 2 and a half quarter effort opposed to his normal 1.

Jobe Watson: The Captain leads from the front and is a vital clog to our midfield group. He'll be keen to make up for his teams lackluster performance against Adelaide with a supreme effort this weekend.

My Predicted Changes:

Ideally, I'd like to go in with the team below. I'd much rather Monfries spend a game in the VFL, but with the way our team he is going, he is more than likely to get a call up. David Myers should be given the chnace to play a whole game in the middle, and not be forced back by the coach.

Essendon

B:
Jarrod Atkinson, Michael Hurley, Heath Hocking
HB: Mark McVeigh, Cale Hooker, Courtney Dempsey
C: Brent Prismall, Jobe Watson, Brent Stanton
HF: David Myers, Scott Gumbleton, David Zaharakis
F: Alwyn Davey, Jay Neagle, Kyle Reimers
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Jason Winderlich, Andrew Welsh
I/C: Leroy Jetta, Tyson Slattery, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Tom Bellchambers

OUT: , Henry Slattery (Inj), Jake Melksham (omit), Michael Quinn (omit), Sam Lonergan
IN: David Myers, Jarrod Atkinson, Courtney Dempsey, Jay Neagle

Colyer also a chance.

Result:

We're a better team than them, it's as simple as that. We lack confidence at that is what brings us down. If the team goes out there was a positive attitude, the game is ours.

Essendon by 17

Nah we should tank for pick 50 or whatever it is that the last placed team gets after the GC comes through.

There is no way Melbourne will beat us on sunday! And just because we had such a big loss,all the bookies have put the Dees as Favorites!! WHAT A JOKE!! We have a much stronger side by a mile...Monfries will star,Neagle KNOWS THIS IS IT,he must start showing us members why we drafted him..KICK GOALS!!! Gumby needs to stay in the,get miles in his legs and take those big glabs and score!! Hocking has been busting his gut every week and continues to improve!! Bellchambers is finally showing something good!! Jobe is just a great Leader!! Bring in Dempsey and Atkinson for their great run from down back!! GO BOMBERS!!!

There is no way Melbourne will beat us on sunday! And just because we had such a big loss,all the bookies have put the Dees as Favorites!! WHAT A JOKE!! We have a much stronger side by a mile...Monfries will star,Neagle KNOWS THIS IS IT,he must start showing us members why we drafted him..KICK GOALS!!! Gumby needs to stay in the,get miles in his legs and take those big glabs and score!! Hocking has been busting his gut every week and continues to improve!! Bellchambers is finally showing something good!! Jobe is just a great Leader!! Bring in Dempsey and Atkinson for their great run from down back!! GO BOMBERS!!!

Them being favourites is a blessing. I can't remember the last time we were favourites and won except for Dreamtime at the G, but the tigers were very poor then.

Them being favourites is a blessing. I can't remember the last time we were favourites and won except for Dreamtime at the G, but the tigers were very poor then.

id just like to point out we have lost most of the games we started as favourites this year, against North and WCE, but we beat richmond (rd 4 who wouldnt have beaten richmond??) ill certainly be there and think it will be a good game, but im certainly leaning towards essendon winning

This is one game that will be won on skill level - and skill level alone.

Both teams can turn the ball over by hand and foot - So the team that minimises turnovers will win.

Famous last words??? ;)

Actually last time i checked Essendon were still favorites 2.04 to 1.94. The repercussions for the loser here will be enormous. Not just for the finals but for prides sake. in the 9 matches we've played at the 'G to date only 3/9 games have been stinkers, so i reckon if we play like we have in the 6 good games then we should win but it will close i reckon.

Famous last words??? ;)

Actually last time i checked Essendon were still favorites 2.04 to 1.94.

Yeah... nah...

http://www.tab.com.au/Sports/Bettin...ContestDate=2010-07-11T00:00:00&MeetingType=1

Melbourne are definitely favourites here.

What annoys me most is the chances are fairly high that we are going to come out tough, hungry & physical after the kicking we've received from most during the past week (similar to our performance against Hawthorn after the Anzac Day disaster earlier in the year). And if we don't... there is something desperately wrong somewhere. But why should it have to take so much criticism for some to lift and show more desperation? That is the disappointing part at the end of the day. Every club has their off days and teams will lose, yeah fine... I can handle that part... but when you go out there, get paid a fortune compared with most of us and put in such weak and dispirited efforts... sorry, cannot handle that and totally not good enough considering the amount of effort, time and finances that a majority of us put into Essendon.

Whether all of that criticism will be enough or whether we are good enough to win this game at the end of the day, who knows... I'd like to think so but who knows with this club at the moment?

- Disillusioned supporter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Slattery (inj), McVeigh, Lovett-Murray, Quinn, Lonergan
In: Atkinson, Howlett, Dyson, Monfries, Myers

Won't happen I know, but this gets us somehwere towards what I see as our best 22:

B: Slattery, Pears, Fletcher
HB: Atkinson, Hooker, Howlett
C: Dyson, Winderlich, Jetta
HF: Davey, Hurley, Zaharakis
F: Monfries, Neagle/Gumbleton, Reimers
R: Ryder, Stanton, Watson
Int: Hille, Melksham, Myers, Hocking

Yeah... nah...

http://www.tab.com.au/Sports/Bettin...ContestDate=2010-07-11T00:00:00&MeetingType=1

Melbourne are definitely favourites here.

What annoys me most is the chances are fairly high that we are going to come out tough, hungry & physical after the kicking we've received from most during the past week (similar to our performance against Hawthorn after the Anzac Day disaster earlier in the year). And if we don't... there is something desperately wrong somewhere. But why should it have to take so much criticism for some to lift and show more desperation? That is the disappointing part at the end of the day. Every club has their off days and teams will lose, yeah fine... I can handle that part... but when you go out there, get paid a fortune compared with most of us and put in such weak and dispirited efforts... sorry, cannot handle that and totally not good enough considering the amount of effort, time and finances that a majority of us put into Essendon.

Whether all of that criticism will be enough or whether we are good enough to win this game at the end of the day, who knows... I'd like to think so but who knows with this club at the moment?

- Disillusioned supporter

Ah well on Betfair it says you guys are the favorites. Each to their own.

http://www.afl.com.au/betting/tabid/14307/default.aspx

Ahhh I love reading opposing teams comments about how they're such a better side than Melbourne. Normally 12 or so teams are right in saying so, but Essendon certainly aren't one of them.

You're list stinks, and Ryder aside there are at least 10 names on Melbournes list that generate more excitement than anyone else down at bomberland. I wouldnt be surprised at all if we beat you comfortably on sunday - our kids play your style of footy, but are quicker and more skillful than your lot and will one day actually pull it off.

I dont understand why essendon try to play an attacking brand of football with a plethora of key talls and no decent midfielders. Baffling..

Ahhh I love reading opposing teams comments about how they're such a better side than Melbourne. Normally 12 or so teams are right in saying so, but Essendon certainly aren't one of them.

You're list stinks, and Ryder aside there are at least 10 names on Melbournes list that generate more excitement than anyone else down at bomberland. I wouldnt be surprised at all if we beat you comfortably on sunday - our kids play your style of footy, but are quicker and more skillful than your lot and will one day actually pull it off.

I dont understand why essendon try to play an attacking brand of football with a plethora of key talls and no decent midfielders. Baffling..

Why don't you stay off our board if you're going to troll you melbourne flog

Why don't you stay off our board if you're going to troll you melbourne flog

Agree with the above.

FWIW I think it will be a cracking game; two teams who play an exciting brand of footy. At the start of the week, the bookies had the teams even - couldn't split them - which I think is a pretty fair indication of the the probabilities of either side winning. Put it this way, I wouldn't have my certainty tip on either of these sides.

I hope Jurrah plays to inject some much needed spark into our forward line.

My head and my heart say Melbourne will win, I think we shade you for talent - that view will be vigorously refuted here no doubt, as it should be. However, we're notoriously slow starters and if Essendon come out with a bit of fire, you guys could establish a lead in the first quarter that might just end up being around about the winning margin.

However, for mine, Dees by 14 in an entertaining Sunday afternoon game at the 'G.

:thumbsu:

Melbourne fans are make believe. Like eskimoes and taxes.

Haha touche to this and the melbourne fans are cute with #9 jumpers comment

As to Higgs Boson and his 'lets all be friends' post, your diplomatic style of posting is boring and unoriginal. Footy forums are for vigorous 'I know you are but what am I' ripostes. Not 'your teams great so's ours I want our side to win but your side equally deserves to win I hope afterwards we can go out for ice cream' nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back