Preview Essendon V Port (7/04) - In: Lonergan, Carlisle Out: Hooker (ankle), Hocking (concussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Essendon V Port (7/04) - Ins, Outs & all other pre-match discussion

Forgive us, we had to deal with North supporters last week. We're a bit trigger happy.

So true, I never thought port supporters would be pleasant change in company!

I have noticed that you guys don't seem to be down with a bit of a chuckle every now and then... Gotta loosen up a bit... You guys managed to win last week and all it seemed to be on here was negative. Footys supposed to be fun.

Mate, if you'd seen the crap we've put up with from the North supporters all summer, you'd understand.

Jump on board The Love Boak guys. Should cheer you all up :thumbsu:

loveboak.jpg

No Brad, no mccarthy, no reinvented Kane Cornes/Redden, no wingard, no Hartlett, no P stewart

No dead rubber as well, which is a big change.

I'm confident that Essendon can get the job done and that the question is more how cleanly that job is done, but it's certainly an intriguing prospect. Should be one of the better games of the round.

No Brad, no mccarthy, no reinvented Kane Cornes/Redden, no wingard, no Hartlett, no P stewart

You can't make comparisons of either team from what they were round 23 last year, all the best lads i'm sure it will be close

Even better, footy isn't played on paper with X player worth Y goals!

Reckon it'll be a fantastic test for your backline against a forwardline with no real 80 goal forward but 4-5 25-40 goal forwards. Hopefully the best way to play Pearce is to target Monfries or McVeigh (whoever gets him) with a lot of our early forward entries and force him to be a defender rather than an attacker playing behind the ball.

It'll also be a huge test for Redden against a genuine two-man ruck combo who can ruck all day. I suspect he'll be subbed out in the third quarter and Westhoff will pinch hit alongside Stewart for the last. Hopefully for you guys we don't see O'Shea in there again! I'd actually go so far as to say if you have to use your sub early, you might be in a bit of strife with Redden trying to run out 4 quarters against two opponents. If you chuck him at full forward, your press suffers. If you try and preserve him for four quarters, Ryder and Hille can push forward often and stretch a backbone which may well be without its best defender. Conversely, if he does a mountain of work then is taken off for a Rodan, Pearce possibly even Banner type with 45 minutes to go, you could have a similar run to what Colyer catalysed last year for us.

What's the deal with Pittard? I'm calling dibs on him now before he becomes the next Enright.

Power supporters

Is Hartlett spending more time in the midfield or is he still playing the hybrid of half back/midfield ?

Hartlett is the one young MID who would make a difference to out team.

Power supporters

Is Hartlett spending more time in the midfield or is he still playing the hybrid of half back/midfield ?

Hartlett is the one young MID who would make a difference to out team.

Haven't really seen enough to know for sure. Hartlett started in the centre square against the Saints but ended up as the loose man in defence, probably because he was allowed to roam free and could do the most damage from there.

How's Carlile been playing?

Carlile has rediscovered that he can raise his arms to defend, so he's been playing well, very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlile has improved this year, infact our entire defense has.

Last year we had Jason Cripps as our backline coach and it was horrible. Players were instructed not to mark, and only to punch the ball away. This was seen on several occasions when players were all alone yet punched balls out of bounds. Was embarrassing.

This year with Brad Gotch we have seen a heap of improvement, and our backline is a pretty big strength.

Carlile, Chaplin and Trengove have all performed well this year as our Key Defenders. And Logan, Surj, Jacobs etc have all had fairly improved years so far.

This year our backline have new & improved, intact "bones" and "hamstrings". For about the first time since - roughly - 1993. Incredible the difference it makes.

Willing to have a good look at Port. Just about everything that could have gone wrong last year, did.
Particularly in the otherwise reasonably consistent, reliable middle tier. Carlile gave every impression of not wanting to be there and Surjan basically wasn't. Those guys are our Hooker/Hibberd, who we need to do jobs each week.

Out: McVeigh
In: O'Brien

What is O'Brien's form like in the VFL???

Hird said last week that no new players were ready yet

O'Brien is injured according to afl.com.au, not sure whether its right though.

Haha these port supporters are delusional !
Bombers by at least 5 goals

This year with Brad Gotch we have seen a heap of improvement, and our backline is a pretty big strength.

Carlile, Chaplin and Trengove have all performed well this year as our Key Defenders. And Logan, Surj, Jacobs etc have all had fairly improved years so far.

Echoing what TSW has said however... Hurley is still a class act and tough to stop. Chaplin and Carlile if switched on are AA capable defenders, however, if they're not they can both be very average.

Surjan has definitely recaptured his 2010 form (which he was close to AA selection)... he had a (self-admitted) lazy pre-season in 2011 which heavily impacted his performance in 2011, so he has turned that around. O'Shea is the other young player who often plays down back, is capable of playing tall, but is one of our best gut runners.

Halfway through last year, Tarrant McPharlin Gibson Hooker Jamison Merrett were all having "AA seasons" as well as Glass, Reid & Frawley.

I'm really not sure they can fit Carlile & Chaplin in as well. Only 6, maybe 7 full backs at the most. Sorry guys.

Haha these port supporters are delusional !
Bombers by at least 5 goals

Delusional to think that we're in with a chance against a team who is barely a top 8 side?

You will find that most of the poster on our board actually tipped essendon.

I think it will be a very physical game played with high spirit. Potential is there for an easy bombers win but with the way we're playing and the spirit around the club I think it will be a close one. Good luck fellas for the rest of the year!

Delusional to think that we're in with a chance against a team who is barely a top 8 side?

You will find that most of the poster on our board actually tipped essendon.

I think it will be a very physical game played with high spirit. Potential is there for an easy bombers win but with the way we're playing and the spirit around the club I think it will be a close one. Good luck fellas for the rest of the year!

i think this game is as much a flip of the coin as last week. Things can change quickly for teams as we did after our horror 2010. Port look really sharp and fit. It should be a ripper contest. Wingard looks like a real find.

And yet we're apparently delusional & copping flak for being confident playing at home against a side that barely just avoided the wooden spoon last year (by percentage only and in fact the BOTTOM side embarrassed you at home)...

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

We may be barely a top 8 side in your eyes, but I'd rather be that than fighting it out for wooden spoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back