Preview Essendon vs Brisbane, Docklands, Sunday July 24 @ 1:10 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serves us no purpose winning a game
I know not the popular view but the smartest and most pragmatic

There is a very strong counter-argument that aside from the sentimental value of avoiding a wooden spoon, there is also much value to be had in playing to win. Players not really putting in and not caring whether they lose or win is hardly the way to teach them good habits moving forward, I wouldn't have thought.

"Serves no purpose" - So winning games has little more impact on a club's culture in comparison to losing, but pick one is so much bigger than pick two? I don't buy that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good god, losing is the worst thing in the world. Well, besides death and taxes.

Yes, the difference between getting pick 1 and 2 in a year without a consensus best player is so great that we should try not to manage a win when we have an unprecedented situation that would make any win a genuinely huge effort.

Yes, the difference between getting pick 1 and 2 in a year without a consensus best player is so great that we should try not to manage a win when we have an unprecedented situation that would make any win a genuinely huge effort.

The ability to trade pick one for two top ten picks is the difference, harder to sell it with pick 2.

Edit: To be clear, i would love us to destroy Brisbane.

The ability to trade pick one for two top ten picks is the difference, harder to sell it with pick 2.

Edit: To be clear, i would love us to destroy Brisbane.

We don't even know if it's likely that any of the clubs with two top-ten picks would do the trade though (for what it's worth, I do agree that the two top tens are generally a lot more valuable than having pick 1).

Plus there's other ways that we can get another top ten or something close, i.e. in the event of Pig leaving and us getting the Dees' second, we could package the two seconds for an academy team's first, or if they have a top ten spare, for that.

We don't even know if it's likely that any of the clubs with two top-ten picks would do the trade though (for what it's worth, I do agree that the two top tens are generally a lot more valuable than having pick 1).

Plus there's other ways that we can get another top ten or something close, i.e. in the event of Pig leaving and us getting the Dees' second, we could package the two seconds for an academy team's first, or if they have a top ten spare, for that.

It would seem like a no brainer for Gold Coast to do it, as it nets them all their academy players, plus the best kid in the draft, less so for GWS it would seem, as their picks will be less desirable.

It would be nice to have pick one, and potentially turn it into another Parish and Francis, could really set us up for the next 15 years, but id love the boys to get a win this weekend, more than id like pick 1.

McKenna stiff to be dropped I would have thought. One of his better afl games today
Haters gonna hate..Good to see you recognizing his efforts for a player so new to the game..He'll stay in this week...No disclaimer needed...Making sense is so much easier..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back