Preview Essendon vs Fremantle, Docklands, Sunday 27/08/17 @ 1:10 PM

Will Joe secure the Coleman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Essendon: Had a fairly comfortable 33 point victory over the top of bottom 4 side Gold Coast, although if they had kicked straighter it may have been even more. David Zaharakis was a dominant force in the midfield, collecting 38 disposals and sending 15 of them inside 50, whilst Josh Begley made a big debut, kicking 2 goals alongside 3 assists.

Fremantle:

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 1-4 Fremantle

Form Guide

Essendon: 3W, 2L
Fremantle: 1W, 3L

Sportsbet odds

Essendon: $1.32
Fremantle: $3.40
Line: 20.5 ($1.92)

Possible sides

Essendon vs Fremantle

B: McGrath - Hartley - Kelly
F: Ballantyne - McCarthy - Cox
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Ambrose
HF: Crozier - Taberner - Bennell
C: Parish - Watson - Heppell
C: Weller - Fyfe - B Hill
HF: McDonald-Tipungwuti - Daniher - Green
HB: Tucker - Johnson - Hughes
F: Stewart - Hooker - Begley
B: Nyhuis - Hamling - Ryan
R: Bellchambers - Goddard - Zaharakis
R: Darcy - S Hill - Mundy
I: McKenna - Stanton - Myers - Z Merrett
I: Suban - Logue - Sutcliffe - Deluca

Fremantle defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line has been excellent this year, kicking a goal 28.4% of the time it enters forward 50, ranked 2nd overall in the AFL. Fremantle's defence has been below the AFL average, conceding a goal 26.3% of the time it enters their forward 50 this season. Joe Daniher will be licking his lips in terms of the Coleman race, Joel Hamling has conceded big goals this season and if his radar is on line he could be in for a big day which might settle the Coleman race once and for all. Cale Hooker and James Stewart will be looking to exploit their opponents in Michael Johnson and Griffin Logue respectively in terms of strength and height, whilst Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti is probably key for the Dons here, his goal kicking this year has been very important, doubly so since Fantasia is out injured currently.

Midfield/rucks battle

Fremantle are an oxymoron in the middle, being 17th in terms of contested possession differential, losing it by 10 on average, but being 7th on clearance differential. This says that when they're away from a stoppage they can't seem to get their hands on the ball. Essendon are in 12th and 16th in these statistics repectively, which shows that if they get it away from a stoppage, they'll most likely win the situation. The main men for Fremantle at the stoppage in this side will be captain Nathan Fyfe, Stephen Hill and former captain David Mundy, all of whom are averaging over 3 clearances a game, they'll be trying to use the run of the likes of Brad Hill, Lachie Weller and Harley Bennell, the latter having just come back from 2 and a half years on the sidelines with various issues. Dyson Heppell, Jobe Watson, Zach Merrett and David Myers will be the main ball winners for the Dons, being the one averaging over 3 clearances a game, and will be looking to use the run of the likes of Brendan Goddard, David Zaharakis, Darcy Parish and Conor McKenna to break lines. Ruck wise, Bellchambers has enjoyed a good season after coming into the side in round 10, and should be able to hold sway against youngster Sean Darcy

Fremantle forward line vs Essendon defence

Essendon's defence has been one of the best in the game, conceding a goal 23.3% of the time it enters defensive 50. Fremantle has the second least efficient forward line in the league, kicking a goal 21.8% of the time it enters forward 50. Fremantle's forward line is based around Cam McCarthy, who has had an up and down season so far, only kicking the 25 goals this season so far. His opponent will likely be Patrick Ambrose who missed the last game, whilst Matt Taberner will be up against likely All Australian CHB Michael Hurley, leaving young Brennan Cox to take on Michael Hartley. Hayden Ballantyne will probably be the #1 small forward for the Dockers, and will likely be taken by Mark Baguley. Ballantyne enjoys playing the Dons, kicking multiple goals in all bar one against the men in red and black.

X-Factor Player

Brent Stanton has yet to announce his retirement but it's widely expected that he will and will also play this final game as a farewell to AFL football, before hopefully leading Essendon to a VFL flag. He will be looking to go out with a bang.

Key stat

Essendon: Forward efficiency. Finals will probably be on the line, and there's nothing better than a big win to head into finals, so putting a big score on the board will be very helpful

Fremantle: Clearances. Essendon suck at these, best way to limit the damage is to win it and keep the ball off them.

Tip

Fremantle have nothing to play for, Essendon have everything to play for, Essendon by 63

Last edited:

Changes I hope will happen

OUT: Bird (shit), Green (inj), Laverde (inj?)
IN: Watson (farwell), Stanton (farewell), Hurley

Out: Green

Watson really shouldn't play but he will anyway.
Everything on the line.
The sort of game we'd often lose, but since the Brisbane game we've had 4 games like that and ran over the top of the opposition in the last quarter and got the win, something we certainly didn't do v. Brisbane.

Having a set target will also help, it's not going to be "we're going to win for sure," it's going to be "we need to win by x or season's over so I can definitely see the team turning up for the first bounce and winning by 10 goals, so even a Adelaide rest-a-thon would still need West Coast to win by 100+ to kick us out of the 8.

We're 10-5 this season on the first six days of the week.

1-5 on Sundays.

This game is on a Sunday. Only thing that worries me about this match.

Hope to see Stants back in. Gets a lot of hate but he's a champ and deserves a farewell (or a redemption chance?) - has been very good in the twos this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an opportunity! Joe unusually quiet against the Suns hopefully he has a blinder against the Dockers. Watson surely gets a run and I wouldn't be opposed to Stanton getting a go either he was pretty decent in the reserves. For me;-

OUT: Green (inj), Myers (spaz)
IN: Langford, Watson

Baguley Hartley McGrath
Goddard Ambrose McKenna
Z.Merrett Heppell Parish
Tippa Daniher Laverde
Stewart Hooker Begley

Bellcho Zakka Bird

Bench from: Kelly Langford Gleeson Watson

What I think happens.
Not what I want.
In: Watson, Colyer, Hurley.
Out: Bird (omitted), Green (injured), Hartley (unlucky).
They will play Watson since he was rested.
Colyer was rested this week and will replace Green as the hard working small forward.
Hurley in assuming he is fit. Stiff on omitting Hartley but that's what they did against the Crows.

Out: Green

Watson really shouldn't play but he will anyway.
Everything on the line.
The sort of game we'd often lose, but since the Brisbane game we've had 4 games like that and ran over the top of the opposition in the last quarter and got the win, something we certainly didn't do v. Brisbane.

Having a set target will also help, it's not going to be "we're going to win for sure," it's going to be "we need to win by x or season's over so I can definitely see the team turning up for the first bounce and winning by 10 goals, so even a Adelaide rest-a-thon would still need West Coast to win by 100+ to kick us out of the 8.

Adelaide aren't resting. They can have a rest the next week.

Changes I hope will happen

OUT: Bird (shit), Green (inj), Laverde (inj?)
IN: Watson (farwell), Stanton (farewell), Hurley
Calling Bird shit is childish, all respect to Watson, Bird has out performed him each time he has come in. If were looking at finals he has to stay in.

With stanton i agree bring him in this week but Jobe has had his farewell game as sad as it is.

What I think happens.
Not what I want.
In: Watson, Colyer, Hurley.
Out: Bird (omitted), Green (injured), Hartley (unlucky).
They will play Watson since he was rested.
Colyer was rested this week and will replace Green as the hard working small forward.
Hurley in assuming he is fit. Stiff on omitting Hartley but that's what they did against the Crows.
Not sure why we'd risk Hurley, give me this we3el off then the bye week so no risk for finals.

Calling Bird shit is childish, all respect to Watson, Bird has out performed him each time he has come in. If were looking at finals he has to stay in.

With stanton i agree bring him in this week but Jobe has had his farewell game as sad as it is.
Uh, no, it's not. It's how I see him. He was probably WOG for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back