F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pile of crap. How TF any of you liked refeulling is beyond me.

Oooh, they might swap positions. Everyone knew who had the heavier tank of file and then waited for the fuel stop window to pass without having to do so on the track. At the same time, it diminished the integrity and achievement of a pole position.

Pile of crap. How TF any of you liked refeulling is beyond me.

Oooh, they might swap positions. Everyone knew who had the heavier tank of file and then waited for the fuel stop window to pass without having to do so on the track. At the same time, it diminished the integrity and achievement of a pole position.
Yeah it's much better being a 90 min procession with very limited overtaking.

Is it fair that just repairing a damaged car comes under the spending cap?

I feel sorry for Williams, I get it don't crash but for it to rob them of potential upgrades to stay competitive, seems really harsh

It's kind of a shame that the 'undercut' is the main way to move up positions. Whole strategies are built around it rather than overtaking on the track. (Even though technically undercutting and overtaking are the same thing?) The commentary never shuts up about it. Its also a shame that someones race is with a car that's mid pack and just let everyone through. Knowing they have no chance whatsoever of a podium

Shame about the mistake at the end by Piastri but he was a bit unlucky in the race.

The first stop put him behind a few more back markers.
Caught Alonso fairly quickly but couldn't pass, the Mclaren DRS is not that potent.
Seem to Lose around 3 seconds when Sarjeant left the track late in the race.

His relatively poor qualifying behind Alonso proved decisive.

yeah! thought he was doing a good job keeping george in a faster car at bay until then.

yeah! thought he was doing a good job keeping george in a faster car at bay until then.
Honestly, it was Alonso keeping Russell at bay, by deliberately backing off just before the DRS detection point, ensuring that Piastri had DRS on the straights. Piastri having DRS made it much harder for Russell to overtake.

Why did Alonso do this? Because he knew that he'd be next, if Russell managed to get past Piastri, and he wanted to protect his own position. Alonso, quite rightly, wasn't worried about Piastri overtaking him with DRS, given that McLaren's DRS is about as useful as a fly screen door on a submarine. The Mercedes' DRS on the other hand, was something he was very concerned about.

Honestly, it was Alonso keeping Russell at bay, by deliberately backing off just before the DRS detection point, ensuring that Piastri had DRS on the straights. Piastri having DRS made it much harder for Russell to overtake.

Why did Alonso do this? Because he knew that he'd be next, if Russell managed to get past Piastri, and he wanted to protect his own position. Alonso, quite rightly, wasn't worried about Piastri overtaking him with DRS, given that McLaren's DRS is about as useful as a fly screen door on a submarine. The Mercedes' DRS on the other hand, was something he was very concerned about.
exactly old head 'Nando lifted off just enough each time into the DRS detection zone to keep OP just inside 1sec...

masterful tactical driving from the resident old guy.

Alonso was just protecting himself from crash merchant Russell spinning off at the Esses and being blamed for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It comes down to Max. If Max goes to Merc then Carlos will probably end up at Red Bull but if Max stays which will probably happen then Carlos probably goes to Mercedes. I can definitely see him at one of those two teams next season.

Why would he got to Merc? They won 2014-2020 based on a leg up in the engine rules. Change the aero and they are useless.

The engine rules are changing in 2026 though. Maybe Merc nail it again. At least Sir Insufferable won't be there anymore. Hopefully Crashy McSomeoneelse'sfault Russell is gone by then too and they're actually likeable.

I don't see Max going though. Not unless the Horner/Marko/Jos stuff goes to another level.

Why would he got to Merc? They won 2014-2020 based on a leg up in the engine rules. Change the aero and they are useless.
It would only be if Horner wins that power struggle they've got going over there. I'd be staggered if they went Horner over Max if push came to shove though.

The engine rules are changing in 2026 though. Maybe Merc nail it again. At least Sir Insufferable won't be there anymore. Hopefully Crashy McSomeoneelse'sfault Russell is gone by then too and they're actually likeable.

I don't see Max going though. Not unless the Horner/Marko/Jos stuff goes to another level.
I don't think Mercedes will ever be likeable, while Toto remains at the helm.

no question alonso played cat and mouse. however, oscar twice fended off russell, who was in the faster car, when he attempted takeovers. had it not been for his mistake near the finish, i reckon oscar would have finished in front of russell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back