F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't really know how the ballot worked, but I just got an email saying I wasn't successful :mad:
I was successful in the ballot, but decided not to use it after I finally got through the queue to discover that prices had been jacked up an extra 25% with their "dynamic pricing model"... will login again tomorrow during general sale. FFS Ticketmaster!!
I get that it's a popular event, but these jacked up prices during presales is just stuffed. Preying on people who are desperate to go to events/concerts knowing that they'll be scared of missing out.

I thought I'd buggered up the dates when I jumped on Ticketmaster at midday today and there was no on-sale.

Nup. "Global outage", postponed til tomorrow. Apparently charging up to 30% extra with no warning under the "dynamic pricing model" doesn't allow them to run a website that completes its core business.

And yet the event doesn’t turn a profit.
Profit for who?

Rest assured that the FIA and everyone in their circus makes a handsome profit.

The huge subsidy paid by the Victorian Government to keep the event in Australia has never been about turning over a financial profit. It's been about the economic benefits to the state economy.

And if you believe the economic modelling (paid for by the Vic Government) showing substantial multiplier benefits in terms of jobs, income and tourism benefits that far outweighs the $100m taxpayer subsidy provided every year to stage the GP then I have a bridge to sell you.

Look I have zero problem with State and Federal Governments subsidising big sporting events, if its proven to be in the public interest and what the voters want. But the way EVERY state government pumps up the economic returns from subsidising those events using BS rubbery figures really ticks me off. Be honest ffs - we get it - it's about bread and circuses/ rant.

Last edited:
Profit for who?

Rest assured that the FIA and everyone in their circus makes a handsome profit.

The huge subsidy paid by the Victorian Government to keep the event in Australia has never been about turning over a financial profit. It's been about the economic benefits to the state economy.

And if you believe the economic modelling (paid for by the Vic Government) showing substantial multiplier benefits in terms of jobs, income and tourism benefits that far outweighs the $100m taxpayer subsidy provided every year to stage the GP then I have a bridge to sell you.

Look I have zero problem with State and Federal Governments subsidising big sporting events, if its proven to be in the public interest and what the voters want. But the way EVERY state government pumps up the economic returns from subsidising those events using BS rubbery figures really ticks me off. Be honest ffs - we get it - it's about bread and circuses/ rant.
Yeh I think countries are starting to see through a lot of the myths about the so called benefits of big event hosting like the Olympics, World Cups, Commonwealth Games etc..

However given F1 is in a boom state in terms of following, seems like everyone is still clamoring to host an F1 race. I reckon this will die off in a few years once the reality of it all sets in (that the locations outlay most of the cost, and see little of the return comparatively). I think in time we will return to a 20 race calendar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh I think countries are starting to see through a lot of the myths about the so called benefits of big event hosting like the Olympics, World Cups, Commonwealth Games etc..

However given F1 is in a boom state in terms of following, seems like everyone is still clamoring to host an F1 race. I reckon this will die off in a few years once the reality of it all sets in (that the locations outlay most of the cost, and see little of the return comparatively). I think in time we will return to a 20 race calendar
Obviously it depends on the cost of hosting. Big events like the Olympics etc require far more capital outlay than an F1 race, although they would reap more back as it's 2+ weeks long and on TV all the time to more of an audience.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back