Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Might have been referring to Mark Williams spending 2 years there before walking out on the last year of his contract
That's over a decade ago at this point... We've had Mark Harvey more recently than that.

Giants have only really had a couple (Nicks comes to mind), most are ex-players that are getting their first step on the ladder.

Swans seems to get a good selection.

Suns seem to be where coaching careers go to die, so more of a last chance for stigmatised coaches.

Sydney did a good job attracting back/keeping around McVeigh and Matthews who are both from NSW and spent their careers playing there.

Don Pyke and Dean Cox were both handy pick ups as well, especially the former being an ex coach.

They similarly only have a few assistant coaches, though "bigger" name coaches than we have. I can't see any development coaches listed, but they do have Leon Cameron running their academy (which is sponsored heavily by QBE from memory).

Would you move to work under the supposedly best in business? If you’re serious about your career…

I don’t buy the “it’s all too hard to move interstate” excuse. Giants, Swans and Suns haven’t had issues with attracting fantastic assistants and coaches over the years.

We apparently offer exposure to the “best” manager/ system in the business. Apparently. If you’re serious about your job and have ambition/aspirations to be a head coach you take this.

I think the more likely case is we aren’t offering the salary incentive and/or we don’t actually have a well regarded coaching development system. Fagan may have control issues and these whispers get passed down the lines to managers. Heard it from sources close to the head and I’ve banged on about this for a few seasons now.
To be fair, you've also heard things and banged on (maybe an exaggeration) that haven't been the case. Footy people are often the worst gossips going around. Read the QAFL board for evidence - worse than a sewing circle.

Would I move to work for the supposed best in the business? No, I didn't. Why because the difference isn't that great and I had the chance to make my mark at my current work.

But when has anyone claimed that we are the best in the business coaching-wise. We may aspire to be, but so do 17 other clubs. And realistically how do you measure that anyway from the outside looking in?

Given fagan's age, moving to Brisbane as a senior assistant could be a pathway to the senior coach role.

That should be a carrot.
Not many assistants move up to that role with their current club.
A few may get the interim gig when the coach gets the sack.
Even less hold on to the position after interviews are done at a later date.

Given fagan's age, moving to Brisbane as a senior assistant could be a pathway to the senior coach role.

That should be a carrot.
Brisbane's succession plans are about as successful as our Death riding and operation threads here.

On F1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Steven King looked pretty good as care taker for Gold Coast.

Shame he went back to Geelong and we missed out on him.

How many of those people are choosing between a $250k job from one of ten local employers that doesn't require moving, versus $250k job interstate?

Usually people who are moving, even for substantial pay packets, are because there isn't an equivalent role available without moving, otherwise they'd take that.
And the opportunities for wives/gfs/cousins etc are somewhat greater in the same place where the ten local employers are ... a bit like how we get to complete for players on an equal playing field for the hard cap but an unequal one for the more grey/black market elements of the package...

According to Danny Daly on The Roar Deal podcast this week, we're looking for a defensive development coach to bring in still. Won't be bringing in anyone to replace Stone, with the main reason being deciding to split the left over resources to pay the remaining coaching staff (who are being paid less at the moment than pre COVID). Also stated the reason we won't bring someone like Dew in is financial.

I sincerely hope Chris & Clarko dont take a monetry offer from Hawthorn for the slander & lies that have caused so much stress in theirs and their families lives...absolutely criminal what happened to them and nothing short of the truth should come out with Egan & Hawthorn admitting they screwed up and then paying for it big time.

I sincerely hope Chris & Clarko dont take a monetry offer from Hawthorn for the slander & lies that have caused so much stress in theirs and their families lives...absolutely criminal what happened to them and nothing short of the truth should come out with Egan & Hawthorn admitting they screwed up and then paying for it big time.

He should take it to pay for Dew as an assistant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way...they are both owed multiple times that for all the trouble & stress it's caused.

Twas a joke ML. Unfortunately, money can not fix their reputation and I doubt they would accept it anyway. It amazes me it even got as far as it did without having any facts to back up their claims against Fages & Clarko.

Twas a joke ML. Unfortunately, money can not fix their reputation and I doubt they would accept it anyway. It amazes me it even got as far as it did without having any facts to back up their claims against Fages & Clarko.
Yeah I got it as a joke. ;)
The apology and admission of lies by Egan & Hawthorn FC for getting things wrong is the most important reconcilliation by a long way but i believe they do deserve financial compensation on top because of all the stress its added to their lives.

Yeah I got it as a joke. ;)
The apology and admission of lies by Egan & Hawthorn FC for getting things wrong is the most important reconcilliation by a long way but i believe they do deserve financial compensation on top because of all the stress its added to their lives.
Sadly, I suspect there are two chances in hell of Egan ever admitting his culpability and failings in this sordid affair.

Sadly, I suspect there are two chances in hell of Egan ever admitting his culpability and failings in this sordid affair.
It would be nice if most that doubted Fagan & Clarko fess up and say they were wrong now as well. The woke people of this world are not far away from getting a rude shock. This situation is no different to the Victims Of Crime sufferers that are going through some significant change at present. Tired of the garbage that's taught in schools & the sense of entitlement some think they have. Until we are all equal no matter what color, religeous choice or sexuality we are, things wont get better.

It would be nice if most that doubted Fagan & Clarko fess up and say they were wrong now as well. The woke people of this world are not far away from getting a rude shock. This situation is no different to the Victims Of Crime sufferers that are going through some significant change at present. Tired of the garbage that's taught in schools & the sense of entitlement some think they have. Until we are all equal no matter what color, religeous choice or sexuality we are, things wont get better.
I thought that’s what “being woke” is all about.

Lot going on in this thread! My 5 cents (seeing as the 2 cent coin was abolished)

ATTRACTING GOOD ASSISTANTS - i don't get how we struggle to, IF indeed we do. Someone senior would get a good hands-on role under a coach who himself has said he won't be there forever. So said coach could either be heir apparent, or maybe help win a flag and get the senior job somewhere else. Much better cost of living in brisbane so while could be moving your family there is an upside - get a better house closer to amenities. It's easy to rent out your melbourne place and use the rent to rent somewhere nice in brisbane

DO WE NEED BETTER ASSISTANTS? - clearly we don't have a bunch of duds. and clearly we are all (most of us?) guessing at what some of our coaches do / any weak links. But i think we have a great list of players. Pound for pound we honestly look a bit better than the pies. I think our biggest weakness is changing tactics in game and in season so a good senior assistant could be good in this regard to take us to the next step.

WILL WE GET ONE? good to hear from the podcast at least someone else is coming in. If we can't get a great tactician, i wonder if we could get some sort of fitness expert? Not so much re injuries but running out games. And more than anything else getting some of our talented players who seem to struggle to run out games / stay involved. I've banged on about it before but if you look at any time Rayner or Bailey get a possession in a game it almost always means we get a chance to score. It's about fitness AND mindset. If we make it a priority over summer we can it will mean the players actually think that way a bit more.

According to Danny Daly on The Roar Deal podcast this week, we're looking for a defensive development coach to bring in still. Won't be bringing in anyone to replace Stone, with the main reason being deciding to split the left over resources to pay the remaining coaching staff (who are being paid less at the moment than pre COVID). Also stated the reason we won't bring someone like Dew in is financial.

Let's start a gofundme campaign to get Dew to Brisbane.

How can we not afford him. Wtf are we spending our money on?

Let's start a gofundme campaign to get Dew to Brisbane.

How can we not afford him. Wtf are we spending our money on?

It's hard to know with the soft cap with it encompassing the entire football department. We do have certain aspects of our staff that seem to perform quite well, namely the medical department.

It's hard to know with the soft cap with it encompassing the entire football department. We do have certain aspects of our staff that seem to perform quite well, namely the medical department.

Yeah, I figure our medical department are on the big bucks which is well deserving but I am still baffled why we can't afford Dew and did some cutbacks in coaching this offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back