Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

So Dale Morris replaces Jed Adcock as our backline coach and Dan Rich replaces Dale in the Development coach role.
Who replaces Mark Stone as Assistant Coach...surely we are not letting this position lapse?

So Dale Morris replaces Jed Adcock as our backline coach and Dan Rich replaces Dale in the Development coach role.
Who replaces Mark Stone as Assistant Coach...surely we are not letting this position lapse?
Yes there has to be another appointment surely. Mark Stone was the strategy coach and effectively the senior assistant?

I mentioned last year, I think it might have been around Brownlow time, that some of the FoxSports reporters were having a discussion about how hard it is for Brisbane/Fagan to attract quality assistant coaches up to Brisbane.

Simply because we’re outside the bubble.

I’d imagine it’s easier to move to play footy when you have a large wage, limited time in your career plus being young and most likely not having kids in school. Compared to be an assistant where you have much more time and ten clubs in the same place, plus a high quality state league, lower wage, and more likely to have kids means it makes much more sense to want to stay in that bubble where there’s opportunity to prove yourself.

I was really hoping for Dew alongside someone else because he’s a quality assistant who wouldn’t be giving giving up much moving to Brisbane from the Gold Coast. Although Morris is technically an inside hire he’s only been here a year and would have plenty of new ideas.

Not ideal. But it’s done. Need another one but if the Lions aren’t replacing Stone… wtf the whispers I heard about my way or the high way fagan might be on the money. Consolidating his power.
It’s an odd one; whenever you see the majority of coaches boxes they are stacked with three rows of coaches and analysts and whenever they’d pan to ours there’s like 5-6 max.

Can’t help but think new ideas and different voices has to help. I mean some of the decisions made by the coaches have been such head scratches that lost us games (by Fagan’s own admissions too) and you’d have to argue cost us the GF too.

I reckon you’re again on the money and perhaps there’s a lot of truth why people don’t want to work under Fagan.

It’s an odd one; whenever you see the majority of coaches boxes they are stacked with three rows of coaches and analysts and whenever they’d pan to ours there’s like 5-6 max.

Can’t help but think new ideas and different voices has to help. I mean some of the decisions made by the coaches have been such head scratches that lost us games (by Fagan’s own admissions too) and you’d have to argue cost us the GF too.

I reckon you’re again on the money and perhaps there’s a lot of truth why people don’t want to work under Fagan.
that is rubbish it didnt cost us the grand final, rewatch it, the last 2 minutes of the first quarter diabolical, Rayners shank back into the corridor, then the centre stoppage after the Charlie goal not to mention the berry 50

Collingwood only won 1 qtr the first qtr with 2 late goals and the last being horrendous, mistakes happen no one sets outs to make mistakes and shit happens sometimes

Was excited that we might get some new voices in when we lost two coaches but looks like it’s internal appointments only.

How disappointing.

I don’t recall hearing anything from Stone or seeing him in the coaches box in the 3 years he was here. It always seemed to be Danny Daly with Fagan. I had actually forgotten he was at the club. Maybe I have missed something along the way but I have the feeling that Stone may have been considered surplus to requirements. Would be interested if anyone ‘in the know’ has any insight into this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was excited that we might get some new voices in when we lost two coaches but looks like it’s internal appointments only.

How disappointing.
Yeah, this. Was excited to get some new voices and fresh ideas into the group to hopefully go that step further.

Credit where credit is due on this one for Tim Gossage. He said we were cutting back on coaches/spending and he was right this time.

Anyway, guess we’ll see how it plays out.

Yeah Daly confirmed during the trade period and again on SEN yesterday that it would be the one appointment, which now appears that will be the internal appointment of Morris. Originally, I guess the plan was for Selwood to take that spot, but when that fell through they bumped Morris up.

They’ve effectively made Stone’s position redundant, I guess.

For comparison

BrisbaneCollingwood
Fagan - Head Coach
Borlace - Head of Development
Morris - Backline
Bruce - Midfield and Stoppage
Davis - Forwards
Hudson - VFL Coach
Hahn - Academy Coach

Rich??
McRae - Head Coach
Fraser - Head of Development/ VFL
Bolton - Director of Coaching/ Backs
Skipworth - Line Coach
Leppa - Strategy/ Forwards
Sellwood - Midfield
Jetta - Dev. Coach - Forwards
Roughead - Opposition and Dev
Otten - Dev. Coach Backs
McMillan - Development Coach
Singh - Academy Coach

BrisbaneCollingwood
Fagan - Head Coach
Borlace - Head of Development
Morris - Backline
Bruce - Midfield and Stoppage
Davis - Forwards
Hudson - VFL Coach
Hahn - Academy Coach

Rich??
McRae - Head Coach
Fraser - Head of Development/ VFL
Bolton - Director of Coaching/ Backs
Skipworth - Line Coach
Leppa - Strategy/ Forwards
Sellwood - Midfield
Jetta - Dev. Coach - Forwards
Roughead - Opposition and Dev
Otten - Dev. Coach Backs
McMillan - Development Coach
Singh - Academy Coach
Would be more keen to see the comparison to other clubs. Especially Sydney/GWS/GC/Dogs/North.

Collingwood would be the pinnacle.

Would be more keen to see the comparison to other clubs. Especially Sydney/GWS/GC/Dogs/North.

Collingwood would be the pinnacle.
Very, very good point.

A quick scan of their websites suggest they have a much smaller line up similar to what ours is shaping up to be for next year. Bit hard to tell exactly from the websites of course, as not all may be listed/ finalised etc...

I'm just really disappointed as I really hoped we would strengthen our coaching staff for next year, not weaken it. Stone and Adcock would have been close to our most senior ranking guys I would have thought. If Fagan had gone down either of them would probably have stood in as a caretaker? Maybe not? Who would it be next year if Fagan had to step away? Murray Davis? Cameron Bruce?

If we lost 2 quality assistants without replacing any, Morris is already an an assistant coach and Rich is welfare/skills - that would be a disastrous outcome.

Morris isn’t an appointment, he’s already a full-time assistant, he’s just moved to backline coach, surely we are adding someone else.

Chris Fagan has always had a senior assistant (Daly and then Stone). If we don't end up bringing anyone else in apart from Rich as development coach, it'll be interesting to see who takes over the responsibilities that Stone had.

DD is our footy boss, that’s an enormous job. It includes everything from sports science, to property, booking flights and accom, staffing issues. He accompanies Fagan on match day, but we can’t possibly suggest he is our footy boss and senior assistant, unless the man doesen’t sleep.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back