Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no way we go into 2024, shedding 2 assisants from an already under-resourced/thin coaching panel without making any additions, bar Rich in a welfare role.

We went after Selwood with a decent offer, that money/offer now goes to someone else as he’s declined.

Rich and Morris were already accounted for.

I still think Dews a chance, still no announcement on him anywhere else, maybe he was waiting on us.

I’d expect something over the weekend.

Not long ago our assistants were all terrible; Stone and Adcock 2 of the main targets

I think we’ll be fine

Who said they were all terrible? That was never said. Stop trying to derail a coaching discussion thread with nonsense.

Contribute your opinion, add something.

let’s give it a go shall we? I’m interested in your option mate - Do you not see any issue with not replacing 2 assistants from an already under-resourced coaching panel when we are fighting tooth and nail for that extra 2-3% next year?

Who said they were all terrible? That was never said. Stop trying to derail a coaching discussion thread with nonsense.

Contribute your opinion, add something.

let’s give it a go shall we? I’m interested in your option mate - Do you not see any issue with not replacing 2 assistants from an already under-resourced coaching panel when we are fighting tooth and nail for that extra 2-3% next year?

Speaking of things never said. Did I every say it was a positive?

Its very hard to judge the effectiveness of assistant coaches but I think most who say this a negative have also repeatedly said our assistants are no good

Speaking of things never said. Did I every say it was a positive?

Its very hard to judge the effectiveness of assistant coaches but I think most who say this a negative have also repeatedly said our assistants are no good

Scoman posed the positive as a question to you? Got nothing to do with me.

I highly value teaching, mentoring, leadership, coaching.

Even if people thought they were not high quality assistants, how does that justify not replacing them properly, at all?

We have one hand tied behind our back with a significantly under-resourced coaching panel/footy dept.

IMO - losing 2 more people to that program and not really replacing them would be farcical, given the quality of our list and our ambition to win a flag.

However - I’m proably jumping at shadows as I would be shocked if there was not at least 1 more addition.

Side note - I think Morris could become a really good coach, so not disappointed there.

this is a rumour I heard from someone I believe to have ok info, I’ve sat on it but thought I’d add it into the discussion, take it or leave it, I can not confirm if it’s entirely accurate or not

I heard from someone who has links to a current assistant coach (has accurately relayed selection news before it breaks on several occasions) that the intention was to bring the 2023 coaching line up back almost entirely - however - the board basically said ‘we arnt reviewing or extending any assistant coaches contracts until we at least make a GF’ - there were expectations attached.

Therefore Adcock went and sort a back up plan incase we didn’t make a GF and Norths is offer ended up being better so he took it. I think he effectively called our bluff. Stone was also not overjoyed with the process and the attached caveats and did something similar.

Basically, I heard that this was all a bit unexpected, thats why we are scrambling in the back ground now to find solutions.

I thought it was by design/looking to upgrade some personal, but like others have suggested, I’m not so sure now as if that was the case, we would have had the appointments ready to go.

Heard this a few weeks ago and didn’t run it here, but given we had nothing lined up, I now think it’s a possible scenario.

I haven’t been to training since very early in the season.

Does Birchall still participate in coaching as well?

I know he’s listed as our game day “runner”, but he was involved in our day to day training as well.

I haven’t been to training since very early in the season.

Does Birchall still participate in coaching as well?

I know he’s listed as our game day “runner”, but he was involved in our day to day training as well.

He's listed as a part time development coach for the academy on the club's website.

this is a rumour I heard from someone I believe to have ok info, I’ve sat on it but thought I’d add it into the discussion, take it or leave it, I can not confirm if it’s entirely accurate or not

I heard from someone who has links to a current assistant coach (has accurately relayed selection news before it breaks on several occasions) that the intention was to bring the 2023 coaching line up back almost entirely - however - the board basically said ‘we arnt reviewing or extending any assistant coaches contracts until we at least make a GF’ - there were expectations attached.

Therefore Adcock went and sort a back up plan incase we didn’t make a GF and Norths is offer ended up being better so he took it. I think he effectively called our bluff. Stone was also not overjoyed with the process and the attached caveats and did something similar.

Basically, I heard that this was all a bit unexpected, thats why we are scrambling in the back ground now to find solutions.

I thought it was by design/looking to upgrade some personal, but like others have suggested, I’m not so sure now as if that was the case, we would have had the appointments ready to go.

Heard this a few weeks ago and didn’t run it here, but given we had nothing lined up, I now think it’s a possible scenario.

Lots here we calling for changes in assistant coaches if we didn't make/win the gf. They could be board members eh.

We have been so measured and planned in the past few years, and this doesn't have that same consistent, stable feel.

No way would pies let selwood come to Brisbane if it ever was a possibility. The suns maybe, but not us. They'd have thrown everything, including outside the cap, to prevent it.

Lots here we calling for changes in assistant coaches if we didn't make/win the gf. They could be board members eh.

We have been so measured and planned in the past few years, and this doesn't have that same consistent, stable feel.

No way would pies let selwood come to Brisbane if it ever was a possibility. The suns maybe, but not us. They'd have thrown everything, including outside the cap, to prevent it.
That was my gut reaction as well.

Many clubs have a clear out of assistants, and bring in a whole, fresh coaching panel under a head coach.

As discussed previously, not so easy for us up here.

I have no inside info at all, but this would surprise me - because the club and board have been pretty clear in backing in the senior coach and the coaching panel (much more so than my preference would have been at points). Doesn't really seem like something Wellington, Swann and Leigh would do but who knows. Certainly not actual members because we don't get told much.

Given Stone doesn't seem to have had anything lined up and the wording was that he and the club had 'mutually agreed' to part, my first thought was that his contract was up and they didn't think he was worth retaining.

Other thing here - isn't it AFL policy/rules that you have to tell assistant coaches if they will be retained well before the season finishes so they can consider their options? I'm sure I've seen this reported but then when you think about it seems hard to actually enforce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other thing here - isn't it AFL policy/rules that you have to tell assistant coaches if they will be retained well before the season finishes so they can consider their options? I'm sure I've seen this reported but then when you think about it seems hard to actually enforce.

Think it's a guideline as opposed to the rule, but it's August 1 from memory.

I don’t recall hearing anything from Stone or seeing him in the coaches box in the 3 years he was here. It always seemed to be Danny Daly with Fagan. I had actually forgotten he was at the club. Maybe I have missed something along the way but I have the feeling that Stone may have been considered surplus to requirements. Would be interested if anyone ‘in the know’ has any insight into this.
Spot on analysis.

DD is our footy boss, that’s an enormous job. It includes everything from sports science, to property, booking flights and accom, staffing issues. He accompanies Fagan on match day, but we can’t possibly suggest he is our footy boss and senior assistant, unless the man doesen’t sleep.
He has 4 people under him to do that and much more.

I think most people are just slightly disappointed, as we had become accustomed to the idea of a fresh voice(s) from outside the club, which we haven’t had much of the last few years.

In time, I doubt it’ll matter too much as to who was appointed, but yeah getting our hands on some of that Collingwood IP would’ve been nice.

However, such is life and we move on and as others have said I’d imagine DD takes a bit more of a coaching role again, which I think he was still doing anyway tbh.

Don't want to sound like a club apologist, but I'm pretty happy with where the coaching ranks sit and still think there is a possibility of bringing in a strategy focussed assistant if the right person is available. Tom Morris said on SEN that Mark Stone was allowed to leave, and as others have said didn't appear to make a major mark on the team, so no issues there.

Adcock has been around a while and can clearly coach, though worth noting when the back and forward coaches swapped this year it was Davis who was more often credited for bringing a better defensive scheme to Adcock's old role than Adcock lauded for his work down back. Small things like stories of Harris still doing his pre-match stuff with Murray not Jed makes me feel like losing Jed isn't disastrous.

Dany Daly did not we would only brining in one assistant - possible that's Dale Morris but doesn't quite align with the media narrative for me, Stone would have been on decent cash given his prior reputation and Rich will likely get a entry level part-time coaching role. Even if we don't add to the ranks though, Whiting said that we wanted to give coaching staff a pay rise as they have been on reduced wages since COVID and I fully support that, sometimes a smaller happier team is better than a large unvalued one (usually even!)

I think most people are just slightly disappointed, as we had become accustomed to the idea of a fresh voice(s) from outside the club, which we haven’t had much of the last few years.

In time, I doubt it’ll matter too much as to who was appointed, but yeah getting our hands on some of that Collingwood IP would’ve been nice.

However, such is life and we move on and as others have said I’d imagine DD takes a bit more of a coaching role again, which I think he was still doing anyway tbh.
Can't understand why so many posters believe we are so lacking in coaching personell...in 2018 we go from 15th to 2nd, to 2nd again, to 4th, to 6th & 2nd again and playing in the GF and losing by a kick. Geelong took 11 years playing finals footy until they won last year. What team performs like that with a lack of coaching?
I often read posts like this and sing the tune...SHORT MEMORY!!!

So excited & grateful for what our club will bring us in 2024.

But, then again, I celebrate coming 2nd. ;)

Can't understand why so many posters believe we are so lacking in coaching personell...in 2018 we go from 15th to 2nd, to 2nd again, to 4th, to 6th & 2nd again and playing in the GF and losing by a kick. Geelong took 11 years playing finals footy until they won last year. What team performs like that with a lack of coaching?
I often read posts like this and sing the tune...SHORT MEMORY!!!

So excited & grateful for what our club will bring us in 2024.

But, then again, I celebrate coming 2nd. ;)

What we have achieved with our smaller budget is remarkable.

It’s not spoken about enough really.

I think losing 2 more brains from an already under-resourced coaching panel, is a concern though, if that’s what we are doing.

Wanting more is not degrading the personal there, it’s wanting more for them, they deserve to be working in a properly resourced, dynamic program.

I still think as mentioned above, we might be jumping at shadows though - I doubt Morris’s deserved promotion is the end of the appointments given the cash Adcock and Stone would have opened up.

I think losing 2 more brains from an already under-resourced coaching panel, is a concern though, if that’s what we are doing.

Wanting more is not degrading the personal there, it’s wanting more for them, they deserve to be working in a properly resourced, dynamic program.

I still think as mentioned above, we might be jumping at shadows though - I doubt Morris’s deserved promotion is the end of the appointments given the cash Adcock and Stone would have opened up.

The cash was used to give the coaches a pay rise as they had taken pay cuts over covid.

Morris is highly rated so it's a pretty exciting promotion for him and will keep him in our ranks.

Stone - imo - wasn't adding enough.

Daly has a great strategic mind and expect he'll be more involved in that regard.

Have we had a smaller budget?

How do you know they both were adding value to the coaching group?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back