Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough, realistically, like everything else, it will take all sorts. Relational coaches, tactical coaches, coaches who have struggled and progressed, coaches who know how to get to the elite level... all of the above and more... each player will benefit from different influences.

I do worry that we are starting to skew in one or two directions, and have shed a lot of experience, which can go a long way to covering deficits... but these are the cards we as a club have been dealt...

I do worry that we are starting to skew in one or two directions, and have shed a lot of experience, which can go a long way to covering deficits... but these are the cards we as a club have been dealt...
Stop worrying so much.

Kane Cornes (I know, no need to come at me lol) big call on SEN - Chris Scott to take over as coach at the end of Fages current contract. Dunno how I would feel about that.

Kane Cornes (I know, no need to come at me lol) big call on SEN - Chris Scott to take over as coach at the end of Fages current contract. Dunno how I would feel about that.

After seeing how Vossy is doing well at Carlton, I'd rather look at Buckley for us than CScott. Chris has scaled the premiership peak twice so I fear he might see this as a good retirement top up. I want someone with fire in the belly or unfinished business type mentality.

It ain't happening guys. Fages will be shooting for a threepeat and he's not about to hand that honor to Chris Scott or any other wanna-be bigshot coach.

Last edited:
After seeing how Vossy is doing well at Carlton, I'd rather look at Buckley for us than CScott. Chris has scaled the premiership peak twice so I fear he might see this as a good retirement top up. I want someone with fire in the belly or unfinished business type mentality.

So, the Suns made a blue with Hardwick?

If Fages retires at the conclusion of his current contract then we could do much much worse than Chris Scott, who would be inheriting a quality team.

I've got no real idea of the capacity of our current coaches except to say we've turned out very good consistent performances over the past few years and that's what coaches live and die on isn't it. Our players seem to play to their ability most of the time . Our win/loss record is as good as anybody.

The AFL and sports in general is littered with coaching legends who were only average or worse at the elite level. In the AFL looking at the coaches who have had the most success and rating them as a player:

McHale Champion
Smith Half a champion
Jeans Ordinary back pocket
Hafey Struggling back pocket
Clarkson Very ordinary player
Kennedy One paced lumbering middle rung ruckman
Mathews Champion
Sheedy Very ordinary back pocket who worked super hard and made himself a very good player
Barassi Champion , if not blessed with much skill
Hardwick Probably a better than average player
Parkin Strong little back pocket
Malthouse Average back pocket
Pagan Struggling back pocket

One thing that has been evident over the years with the VFL and now AFL is that clubs who get rid of good coaches with generally consistent success seem to struggle for a long time afterwards. In a couple of cases forever. Looking through that list the one trait they all had in common was absolute thirst for the contest and to get the best out of themselves. But obviously you don't have to be a good player to be a great coach.

I get it that as supporters we are frustrated at not winning a flag and are looking for reasons but we had a chance last year if we were good enough. You could hardly say we've gone backwards despite losing all of the 'experience' people seem to think we've lost.

buckley will always be a brisbane man in my eyes

If Fages retires at the conclusion of his current contract then we could do much much worse than Chris Scott, who would be inheriting a quality team.
And he has had practice at keeping a list topped up turning what could have been considered a disadvantage (Geelong's relative remoteness) into a positive that is now seen as unfair ... we have some rocky isolated times coming up (the Romany Lions) and not sure that is the right time to have a newbie coach especially one with no experience of life in the non-VFL lane...

We could do a lot worse than Chris Scott. After the year Fages has had with the Hawthorn debacle, I'd be looking at this current contract as my last if I was him.

I wouldn't think Chris would achieve any less success than Fagan, as the Cats have largely had the same top 8 success (outside of 2 big ones) as we have.

So, the Suns made a blue with Hardwick?

Well if Hardwick was available along with Buckley, I'm taking Hardwick for sure. I just don't like Chris Scott for whatever reason, initially when he burst on to scene I was impressed with his in-game tactics and building a old team up to a certain game plan. May be these days I see him as a rusted-on Geelong coach who just carries on whenever his favorite children don't get special treatment.

But let's wait n see how Hardwick responds when Suns have their ups and downs. It's not his own drafted and built team, he's expected to deliver high quality outcomes from the get go. He is walking on a tight leash in terms of delivering success, it feels a little bit like how Malthouse took over Carlton at the moment.

Last edited:
I just don't like Chris Scott for whatever reason, initially when he burst on to scene I was impressed with his in-game tactics and building a old team up to a certain game plan. May be these days I see him as a rusted-on Geelong coach who just carries on whenever his favorite children don't get special treatment.

"Supports his players" doesn't sound like an attribute I'd be poo-pooing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if Hardwick was available along with Buckley, I'm taking Hardwick for sure. I just don't like Chris Scott for whatever reason, initially when he burst on to scene I was impressed with his in-game tactics and building a old team up to a certain game plan. May be these days I see him as a rusted-on Geelong coach who just carries on whenever his favorite children don't get special treatment.

But let's wait n see how Hardwick responds when Suns have their ups and downs. It's not his own drafted and built team, he's expected to deliver high quality outcomes from the get go. He is walking on a tight leash in terms of delivering success, it feels a little bit like how Malthouse took over Carlton at the moment.
How about John Longmire from Sydney as a potential replacement from Fages.

Obviously it’s a long-shot but there’s rumours that Dean Cox will be the next head coach over there at the end of 2025 (when Longmire OOC) if they cannot win a flag in the next 2 years and this has been fuelled by Sydney topping up their side with mature talent in recent times.

Not expecting us to dump Fages, as he is a very valuable person at the club (on/off field), but if he does decide to give it up and Longmire also leaves in 2025, wouldn’t be a bad idea to get his number and ask if he would consider given the valuable experience.

How about John Longmire from Sydney as a potential replacement from Fages.

Obviously it’s a long-shot but there’s rumours that Dean Cox will be the next head coach over there at the end of 2025 (when Longmire OOC) if they cannot win a flag in the next 2 years and this has been fuelled by Sydney topping up their side with mature talent in recent times.

Not expecting us to dump Fages, as he is a very valuable person at the club (on/off field), but if he does decide to give it up and Longmire also leaves in 2025, wouldn’t be a bad idea to get his number and ask if he would consider given the valuable experience.
Swans a really good chance this year to revert to their "ugly duckling" style of game after (a) their ball movement got figured out last year so they had to resort to their old methods and (b) Don Pyke has moved on.

Keen to avoid Longmire at pretty much any cost.

Yeah well you know I really like to know how we can possibly foresee this year or two out I’ll take it with a grain of salt button saying that I wouldn’t say no to Scott being head coach with his experience and pedigree

I think that is his job though, you can stay silent and watch nothing change. Or you can make it public and put pressure on the AFL/umpires department.

I think it all depends on Fages really. He is on the older side for a coach, he may want to win a premiership and then handover instead of going around again the next year. As long as we have a replacement just as good, I'm not bothered either way. I would hate for us to lose Fages though and get a dud.
Agree on this.
But coaches live and die on their win/loss record.
One bad year that may have reasons attached is okay.
Two bad years for teams at the top end of the ladder, no matter the reasons, gets board members thinking of changes.

Geelong falls into a one bad year category. If they bounce back into the 8 that's fine.
Dockers probably in a similar position too.

Does Shelbyville have a golf course?

iu

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back