Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

May be Fages and team came in this year preparing for Pies with the uncontested marking gameplan. Others appear to be cashing in.

‘NOT RUNNING OVER THE TOP’: SCOTT BROTHERS’ TACTIC COOLS PIES

Have the Scott brothers devised a game plan to shut down Collingwood and its ability to produce comebacks?

There was a feeling of deja vu at the MCG on Friday night, with Collingwood losing in a similar fashion for two-straight weeks at the hands of Essendon and Geelong.

Indeed, the same tactic was used against Collingwood across two weeks to great effect — with a high uncontested marking brand diffusing the Pies from being able to play their natural chaos game.

Heck, Craig McRae’s side couldn’t get its hands on the ball at stages in both matches.

In fact, Geelong took a whopping 70 extra marks to the Pies including controlling the ball in the fourth term to hang onto its lead and never let Collingwood even look like challenging.

It marked the Cats’ third-highest amount of marks in a game ever (145) and their most ever uncontested marks ever (139).

And it came off the back of Essendon taking 50 extra marks against the Pies the week prior, with Brad Scott’s Bombers racking up 139 marks — 129 uncontested. Even in Collingwood’s narrow Round 15 win over North Melbourne it was -45 in marks.

“This is probably the talking point,” Demons legend Garry Lyon said on Fox Footy after Geelong’s win over the reigning premiers.

“When you watched (the Cats) execute in the manner they did, this is why Craig McRae has said they can’t keep coming back.

“They’re not going to keep rolling over the top of teams because (opposition) will go to school on the way they play.

“What Geelong did was: ‘You’re not running over the top of us when we’re taking 139 uncontested because you’re not going to have the ball’.”

May be Fages and team came in this year preparing for Pies with the uncontested marking gameplan. Others appear to be cashing in.

‘NOT RUNNING OVER THE TOP’: SCOTT BROTHERS’ TACTIC COOLS PIES

Have the Scott brothers devised a game plan to shut down Collingwood and its ability to produce comebacks?

There was a feeling of deja vu at the MCG on Friday night, with Collingwood losing in a similar fashion for two-straight weeks at the hands of Essendon and Geelong.

Indeed, the same tactic was used against Collingwood across two weeks to great effect — with a high uncontested marking brand diffusing the Pies from being able to play their natural chaos game.

Heck, Craig McRae’s side couldn’t get its hands on the ball at stages in both matches.

In fact, Geelong took a whopping 70 extra marks to the Pies including controlling the ball in the fourth term to hang onto its lead and never let Collingwood even look like challenging.

It marked the Cats’ third-highest amount of marks in a game ever (145) and their most ever uncontested marks ever (139).

And it came off the back of Essendon taking 50 extra marks against the Pies the week prior, with Brad Scott’s Bombers racking up 139 marks — 129 uncontested. Even in Collingwood’s narrow Round 15 win over North Melbourne it was -45 in marks.

“This is probably the talking point,” Demons legend Garry Lyon said on Fox Footy after Geelong’s win over the reigning premiers.

“When you watched (the Cats) execute in the manner they did, this is why Craig McRae has said they can’t keep coming back.

“They’re not going to keep rolling over the top of teams because (opposition) will go to school on the way they play.

“What Geelong did was: ‘You’re not running over the top of us when we’re taking 139 uncontested because you’re not going to have the ball’.”
We tried the same thing in the Grand Final last year. Certainly in the second half. Altho the effect was limited. Sideways. Sideways. Sideways. Back the other way. Back the same way. Then, stuff it: Long down the line.

This is why I'm pretty firm in my belief the future of the game is in mid-zone off-ball movement to free up space. Moving the ball from defensive 50 to forward 50 should really be a doddle, given the width of most grounds.

The flow on effect of that will be that the game resorts to a basketball style of defence, where defending the mid-zone becomes impossible/redundant, so teams immediately flood back inside defensive 50-60 to block leading lanes and force long kicks to the top of the square. Which is essentially where some teams were in the early 2000s, but for different reasons.

Longer term than that, it may even become necessary to legislate against the "mark". Particularly if tackling also goes by the wayside, as I believe will happen within 20 years or so.

anyone else think the smith over Morris was a very lucky call?

Morris would have made the most of the wind today like he did yesterday and if he needed a rest why play him at all instead of a full rest?

full credit for the Brain over McKenna call:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Nah. Needed that run at the lower level. 22 disposals says it all. Got to play some footy without the pressure. Big help, in the long run.

A little bit of love for Fages and the Lions in the Age this morning. Cut from a longer article on games over the weekend.

“Veteran coaches can get results too, without such drama

Chris Fagan should be in line for coach of the year after getting his Brisbane Lions and himself off the canvas when their 2024 seemed done after round eight’s crushing loss to the Giants.

He has turned the Lions into a club that never gives up. Their win over Sydney was testament to that, with Lachie Neale, Charlie Cameron and Eric Hipwood all quiet, leaving Shadeau Brain and Callum Ah Chee to be the heroes late.

The veteran coach overcame all sorts of adversity in the off-season to lead his team out of the morass and potentially into the top four again. Only the best coaches do that.”

Only fifteen pages back in this thread and The Fagan must go mob were active.
Oh how the wheels have turned.

Remember this: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/te...s/news-story/083d28e2fe2cd970c0e47e5426f3a67a

Ralph put forward seven names as the best assistants in the AFL, including James Rahilly, Corey Enright, Andrew McQualter, Shaun Grigg, Ash Hansen, Troy Chaplin and Daniel Giansiracusa.

Only fifteen pages back in this thread and The Fagan must go mob were active.
Oh how the wheels have turned.

Remember this: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/te...s/news-story/083d28e2fe2cd970c0e47e5426f3a67a

Alternatively that criticism has re-energised Fages and the playing group and spurred them on. Love seeing the club responding in the manner they have to helpful and justified critiquing of their performances early in the season.

Happy clappers have their place but jeez it must be boring to have no opinions of your own then continually potshot others.

Alternatively that criticism has re-energised Fages and the playing group and spurred them on. Love seeing the club responding in the manner they have to helpful and justified critiquing of their performances early in the season.

Happy clappers have their place but jeez it must be boring to have no opinions of your own then continually potshot others.

Or you could just trust Fages. He said we weren't playing that poorly and he was spot on

OK, supporting Fagan and believing he's the best coach for us, is not a valid oppinion. Brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Likewise, Gloomy Gus's must surely live a miserable existence. Then there's the dedicated contrarians don't really have an opinion - they just take up an opposing viewpoint to make themselves feel intellectually superior to others.

The psychology of footy followers is fascinating at times. Tedious at others.

But I will add that you've criticised people taking potshots...by taking a potshot. I guess we're all hypocrites in our own ways.

lol that is one way to view it.

ALTERNATIVELY, people posting that Fages is done and we should look to sack him for Chris Scott after a couple of loses were taking such a micro week to week view that their opinions were ultimately worthless.

It was effectively, Brisbane lose. Fagan can't coach. Sack Fagan.

The 'happy clappers' were often people who recognised that there may be catalysts for the outcomes we were seeing and were able to see the bigger picture and form a more reasoned and rational view.

lol that is one way to view it.

ALTERNATIVELY, people posting that Fages is done and we should look to sack him for Chris Scott after a couple of loses were taking such a micro week to week view that their opinions were ultimately worthless.

It was effectively, Brisbane lose. Fagan can't coach. Sack Fagan.

The 'happy clappers' were often people who recognised that there may be catalysts for the outcomes we were seeing and were able to see the bigger picture and form a more reasoned and rational view.

Ah. The superior footy mind captured in print on these very pages. Your reasoning and rationality means very little when it comes to being a footy supporter. I mean you must read media, you must attend games. It doesn't make you a better supporter nor give you any more right to post here than anyone else. But if it makes you feel better keep believing that.

Ah. The superior footy mind captured in print on these very pages. Your reasoning and rationality means very little when it comes to being a footy supporter. I mean you must read media, you must attend games. It doesn't make you a better supporter nor give you any more right to post here than anyone else. But if it makes you feel better keep believing that.
Or maybe some people like to give a good coach who has done great things for us more than 8 weeks to turn things around

Or maybe some people like to give a good coach who has done great things for us more than 8 weeks to turn things around

Yes, Elixuh made a similar claim in his post, along the lines of Brisbane lose. Fagan can't coach. Sack Fagan. But I honestly dont remember serious statements like this being made. Feel free to point some out to me if you are bored.

Cut to the chase though this discussion is more about being able to express an opinion here without footy snobs and hindsighters sticking the boot in after every game over imagined slights to Fagan from months ago.

Yes, Elixuh made a similar claim in his post, along the lines of Brisbane lose. Fagan can't coach. Sack Fagan. But I honestly dont remember serious statements like this being made. Feel free to point some out to me if you are bored.

Cut to the chase though this discussion is more about being able to express an opinion here without footy snobs and hindsighters sticking the boot in after every game over imagined slights to Fagan from months ago.
There was plenty mate. I’m not going to go back and look. But lots of people were ready to cut him. And by the way, if we did sack him and the new coach took us to top 4 there would be plenty of hindsight heroes on the other side too. Let’s not pretend people on all sides of the argument don’t do this.

There was plenty mate. I’m not going to go back and look. But lots of people were ready to cut him. And by the way, if we did sack him and the new coach took us to top 4 there would be plenty of hindsight heroes on the other side too. Let’s not pretend people on all sides of the argument don’t do this.

Naturally the teams current success is only delaying the conversation over what comes next. But it is a conversation that will be had regardless.

I haven't claimed the bold. That is just a bit of shadow boxing.

If people make claims that a highly successful coach should be moved on after a few poor games, which is what happened (you can read back through if you like), then they rightly need to provide some compelling reasons to justify that position. Otherwise, I think I'm justified in forming the view that their opinions aren't substantial or well considered. And no hindsight here, I've maintained the same position the whole way through.

Its not unique to supporters of the Lions. People want to find a negative to marry up the negative of a team's poor performance. The easiest option is always to blame the coach as a single tangible figurehead. Too difficult to blame the entire team or other less tangible factors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back