Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestingly my recollection is that a large part of the begone Fagan rhetoric was centred around his reluctance to make changes to the team or its tactics

When we got ACL'd and had to make changes to the playing group there was improvement and the differing elements allowed for increased flexibility in tactics...

Would there have been those changes anyway ... hard to say

Would the bringing in of extra voices in Cochin and Dew have made the same changes ...we will never know.

What we do know is that where we were was unacceptable without knowing precisely why we were there (was definitely a multivariate equation not a simple single variable).

What we do know is that we had a good group ready to step up and that takes someone in the whole squad and organisation to support.

What we also know is that while we started slow we are finishing strongly and isn't that the ideal way to play out the season?

Fagan copped it because things were bad and the buck stops with him ... how much tolerance people were prepared to give him certainly varied but at least we were all united in wanting our Lions to roar all through to September ... even briztoon 😎

This

The problem is he wasn't playing the youth as he didn't trust them to do the job. Alas, he finally played them and look what happens.

This

The problem is he wasn't playing the youth as he didn't trust them to do the job. Alas, he finally played them and look what happens.
I am not sure it was that he didn’t trust them to come in and do the job but that he trusted the ones already playing to come good.
I don’t think we were far away from trying another option than Gardiner forward and with other injuring in the backline he more than likely ended up back there if he didn’t do the ACL.

Well the very big factor to note is that the 2023 version looks slower, at least on paper.
Collingwood beat us with spread to the ouitside which in turn opened the coridor for them, or at least thats how I remember it on game day. And when we tried to do that we muffed it.
Not convinced we are better in this area.
We are too inconsistant to get a good read.
maybe at our best which had Sharp in the team , in my opinion made a big contribution in these areas.
To me this year is similar to last , but just started slow , by being ratshite at kicking goals.
it does feel with Loman playing our defensive side is stronger.
Also Bez in the center has made an impact in some games

I will say it's hard to be critical of Fages right now ,even though some of us still have differing opinions on I would say adjustments to our playing side or tactics.
nothing wrong with that .

anyone else think the smith over Morris was a very lucky call?

Morris would have made the most of the wind today like he did yesterday and if he needed a rest why play him at all instead of a full rest?

full credit for the Brain over McKenna call:thumbsu::thumbsu:
I wouldn't have chosen a game against the ladder leader to debut Smith. He would have been better against West Coast or even this week against Gold Coast. Morris needed to rediscover form, now he's done that, I have no issues with the coaching panel's decision there.

You'll find that many of those who were bringing up those names didn't want Fagan axed this year, they just wanted a succession plan for the end of his contract.
I'm extremely appreciative of what Fages and co have done for our footy club since he came to the club since 2016 as it has been one of the greatest rebuilds on/off-field of any club in recent memory and he 100% deserves to have the opportunity to retire on his own terms or move on, when the time does unfortunately come.

At 2-5 this year, I did start to question if he still had the players and if that external pressure from other issues started to wear him down. But to Fages credit as always, he and the players have stood up to the pressure and amazingly in 3rd with 5 rounds to go, which shows how amazing the culture is ATM but also what can happen if you bring in young blood in the side.

As mentioned by JB above, though, we need to have a Plan B in place when the time does come for a new head coach, which has been said for the past couple of years. Looking at our internal panel exclusively, would Cameron Bruce or Dale Morris have what it takes to become a head coach straight away or would be go more experienced but internally still in Stewie Dew now or even Danny Daly.

Then you have the external names out there that we should be trying hard to get as senior assistant coach / future head coach and possibly still be given we tried to grasp Scott Selwood from Collingwood last-preseason

It does paint an interesting set-up with what happens when the time comes though, but Fages IMO can have as long as he wants if the club continues playing to the way they are.

I'm extremely appreciative of what Fages and co have done for our footy club since he came to the club since 2016 as it has been one of the greatest rebuilds on/off-field of any club in recent memory and he 100% deserves to have the opportunity to retire on his own terms or move on, when the time does unfortunately come.

At 2-5 this year, I did start to question if he still had the players and if that external pressure from other issues started to wear him down. But to Fages credit as always, he and the players have stood up to the pressure and amazingly in 3rd with 5 rounds to go, which shows how amazing the culture is ATM but also what can happen if you bring in young blood in the side.

As mentioned by JB above, though, we need to have a Plan B in place when the time does come for a new head coach, which has been said for the past couple of years. Looking at our internal panel exclusively, would Cameron Bruce or Dale Morris have what it takes to become a head coach straight away or would be go more experienced but internally still in Stewie Dew now or even Danny Daly.

Then you have the external names out there that we should be trying hard to get as senior assistant coach / future head coach and possibly still be given we tried to grasp Scott Selwood from Collingwood last-preseason

It does paint an interesting set-up with what happens when the time comes though, but Fages IMO can have as long as he wants if the club continues playing to the way they are.

It is almost a given imo that we have some sort of plan in place at a Board level re the bold. I'm not a fan of having a formal succession plan in place. Informally, I'm sure it is one option considered, especially if Dew comes on as a fulltime assistance next year.

Do we though? Collingwood just poached McRae, Geelong poached Scott, Goodwin was a succession plan, pretty sure Hardwick and Simpson were poached from other clubs

I do not subscribe to a succession plan. In my view it limits options and opportunities that may lay elsewhere. When the time comes in ten years time for Fages to walk away, on his terms then candidates will emerge. Thanks, in no small measure to Chris Fagan, among others, we are no longer a basket case. We are an attractive proposition for any gun aspiring or existing coach to come to us.

Rather than wasting time with succession plans and succession coaches we should be locking Fagan now with a McCluggage type contract.

I do not subscribe to a succession plan. In my view it limits options and opportunities that may lay elsewhere. When the time comes in ten years time for Fages to walk away, on his terms then candidates will emerge. Thanks, in no small measure to Chris Fagan, among others, we are no longer a basket case. We are an attractive proposition for any gun aspiring or existing coach to come to us.

Rather than wasting time with succession plans and succession coaches we should be locking Fagan now with a McCluggage type contract.
depends what he wants, I guess. He's already 7 years older than Leigh Matthews was when he retired (and he's older than the current age of each of the head coaches since Matthews)

Have been a bit curious about Dew doing some work with us and his relationship with Callum Ah Chee and Jaryd Lyons - I assume there may have been some awkwardness, particularly with Jaryd.

I wonder if Fagan might stay as long as Cluggs is here and I say that because basically that will be the retirement class of the start of his tenure here. Would be special to coach a group of draftees from start to finish and hopefully get a premiership or three along the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if Fagan might stay as long as Cluggs is here and I say that because basically that will be the retirement class of the start of his tenure here. Would be special to coach a group of draftees from start to finish and hopefully get a premiership or three along the way.

I think he will be 70 in the last year of Hugh’s deal. He would also have been our coach for 15 years at that stage.

Not impossible but would be a fair effort.

Considering what Fagan did with us when he started, AFL must seriously consider smash/grabbing him from us for Tassie.

Fagan will be perfect for moulding a new club with all the draftees. He has that Tassie roots/connection which will be a great story. He'll also be able to drag some of the senior Brisbane players over to Tassie to give the senior cover in the first few years. Exactly like what he did with us by bringing players from Hawks.

Buckley as the first coach of Tassie sounds interesting but with Fagan, AFL knows he's done it before and has the template for how to be successful. It'll be mad for them not to consider pitching it to Fages.

Considering what Fagan did with us when he started, AFL must seriously consider smash/grabbing him from us for Tassie.

Fagan will be perfect for moulding a new club with all the draftees. He has that Tassie roots/connection which will be a great story. He'll also be able to drag some of the senior Brisbane players over to Tassie to give the senior cover in the first few years. Exactly like what he did with us by bringing players from Hawks.

Buckley as the first coach of Tassie sounds interesting but with Fagan, AFL knows he's done it before and has the template for how to be successful. It'll be mad for them not to consider pitching it to Fages.
Have heard Fages say before that this will be his one and only Senior Coaching gig.
If he was to be poached for Tassie it would be as the Footy Manager or something other than the Coaching imo.

I can only see that happening if we win a Premiership this year or in 2025, which would give him an extension (if he wanted it) from there he would have to win another couple in the ensuing 4-5 years(2026-30) to get to the end of McCluggage's contract IMO.

FWIW I think Fages will leave and be involved in the Tassie Devils inclusion in 2028, leave end of 2026 season to help in the last stages of the set up, not as head coach though.... he is Taswegian Royalty.

Have heard Fages say before that this will be his one and only Senior Coaching gig.
If he was to be poached for Tassie it would be as the Footy Manager or something other than the Coaching imo.

Money talks and the AFL would be willing to throw a bucket load at him to get that team to be successful as quick as possible.

Think I heard in Sam Reid’s retirement presser the other day him saying that in his whole 14 year career he’d only ever been coached by John Longmire. Pretty rare and special for players with more than 10 years experience to only be coached by one coach. I assume that must be happening at Geelong with him now having been there for 12 years.

Just wanted to give a massive shoutout to this guy. Some absolutely ridiculous takes after the first 3 games (that’s 3 after losing a grand final by less than a kick).

To professionally hold it together given the garbage manner the Hawthorn saga has been handled should not be understated. With that over his head, he’s continue to keep the team up, he continued to push the positives and stay calm in the face of a 2-5 ledger and, found ways to win with a mountain of injuries and inexperience.

He’s doing a great job. And, in my view, ridiculously maligned. I’m so glad David King isn’t our CEO.

Yeah but he could also be coaxed to do what Sheedy did for GWS with a plan to handover to Leon Cameron.

I sometimes look back n think that was a smart move in how GWS was started vs GC - a wise old elf who knows the game demographics to hold things together while young ones found their feet.

Credit to Fagan for his dogged persistence and patient 7 year, 130 game investment build up of Cam Rayner. I'll admit I gave up earlier this year but the coach never did.

Dare I say it, looks like the No.1 pick has finally arrived to take centerstage and what a time to do it.

Go well Rayner and prove Fagan right this year, time to crack that 30 possession mark as well and lift us to promise land. As Morpheus would say "he's starting to believe" and it's only the beginning.

Credit to Fagan for his dogged persistence and patient 7 year, 130 game investment build up of Cam Rayner. I'll admit I gave up earlier this year but the coach never did.

Dare I say it, looks like the No.1 pick has finally arrived to take centerstage and what a time to do it.

Go well Rayner and prove Fagan right this year, time to crack that 30 possession mark as well and lift us to promise land. As Morpheus would say "he's starting to believe" and it's only the beginning.
Nek minnit; "I want to explore my free agency options.":);)

Last edited:

You aren't the only one who felt this by any means. I think faith is fully restored in Fagan this year, he's been a mastermind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back