Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who was critical of our coaching ranks earlier in the year, I have been impressed with the response in the second half of the year. Wins obviously paper over alot of cracks, but the emergence of Rayner and McCluggage, Brain over McKenna, Lohmann over Dev, Morris over Ryan, they have taken a lot of risks and most of them have paid off.

The defensive addition of Ah Chee to the forward line (rather then wing) and moving Berry more inside have also been successful tinkering around the edges.

As someone who was critical of our coaching ranks earlier in the year, I have been impressed with the response in the second half of the year. Wins obviously paper over alot of cracks, but the emergence of Rayner and McCluggage, Brain over McKenna, Lohmann over Dev, Morris over Ryan, they have taken a lot of risks and most of them have paid off.

The defensive addition of Ah Chee to the forward line (rather then wing) and moving Berry more inside have also been successful tinkering around the edges.
Huge respect to the coaching staff. There was obviously a lot of internal review after the GF loss about what did or didn't work. Whether their hand was forced due to injuries or not, you can't fault the team for what they have been able to do with some really inexperienced players this season so far. Even if we don't go all the way, the season has been a success because of the new talent that has come into the side, the tinkering with positions and the growth of some of are more experienced players that you mentioned as well.

Same; sure injuries literally played a huge role in us mixing things up but collectively, everyone from coaches to players has stepped up and they spoke about it on one of the shows last night, which I was hoping to post, but nothing has hit the usual channels with a replay of the segment.

I am unsure if anything would have changed had not the hand been forced through injury ... but once it was forced the changes were embraced and even expanded on ... they embraced a new way of doing things despite how it arrived and not everyone would have.

Props to Fages and co for said flexibility ... and listening to Dew ;)

Have been a bit curious about Dew doing some work with us and his relationship with Callum Ah Chee and Jaryd Lyons - I assume there may have been some awkwardness, particularly with Jaryd.

Awkward for Dew - it was his coaching panel that didn't rate Lyons and play him. JL can sit back very contently in the 'I told you so' chair, nod and smile at Dew as he walks past.

Bit of insight in the Courier Mail [Callum Dick] today about Dew's role at the club.

“We were having some issues with our goal kicking and Stuey was an hour up the road doing nothing,” Brisbane football boss Danny Daly told this masthead.
“They happened to be chatting one day and it led to Fages coming to see me about whether it would be OK for him (Dew) to come down one day a week to do some skills and goal kicking with the boys.”
Brisbane forward Eric Hipwood said Dew had been “a great resource to tap into” since he arrived at Brighton Homes Arena. And the proof is reflected on the scoreboard.
Since Dew’s arrival, the Lions’ scoring accuracy has risen from 48.69 per cent to 53.21 per cent.
Whereas earlier in the season they were losing games due to inaccuracy, some of the recent close wins during their run of eight consecutive victories have been saved by better goal kicking.
From 10 points adrift of the top eight entering the bye, the Lions are now locked in second spot on the ladder and have a home qualifying final in their sights.
There are many reasons how and why Brisbane has turned its season around. But one of the more unheralded yet important ones could be the shrewd acquisition of Dew – a man unwanted by the Lions’ rivals down the road.
“When it comes to something as deliberate as goal kicking, just having a different voice can help,” Daly said.
“We now have someone coming in and concentrating on it, coming from a different space, and I think it’s been beneficial for everyone.”

Is Dew still only one day a week, or has his role expanded further?
Basing this solely on seeing him in the coaches box, I assume his role has been expanded.

I believe that the club always wanted Dewy and said to him we have a role for you. Take a a few months break from footy if you need it but we would love to have you join when you are ready. I remember at the beginning of the year we were unsure why we replaced two of our assistants with one and this would be a very logical explanation that at the time the club had no reason to inform anybody of.

Basing this solely on seeing him in the coaches box, I assume his role has been expanded.

I believe that the club always wanted Dewy and said to him we have a role for you. Take a a few months break from footy if you need it but we would love to have you join when you are ready. I remember at the beginning of the year we were unsure why we replaced two of our assistants with one and this would be a very logical explanation that at the time the club had no reason to inform anybody of.

Yep, he's involved in match day now and sitting in the box. Or we may have wheeled him to the box just because it's Gold Coast that week, we never know. Imagine Rowell and Anderson seeing Dew walking past them in opposition colors, I'm sure it'll take your mind away for a few seconds from the game.

Has to be more than a day, but we're good at underplaying how much he's involved. No need to share to the world anything about the inner workings.

I am not prepared to say Dew has improved us since he has come on board.
It has not been long enough for me to say for certain one way or the other. It was not a backward appointment though.
He is an experienced senior coach so obviously has good insight to the game of AFL and the players that make up a team.
The fact he is sitting in the coach's box during the games means Fagan wants him in that position.
I am sure his impute is taken seriously on game days.

However, Dew is now with a successful team, and he is most likely learning more about how to be successful from the way the Lions go about business. His Sydney experience was a longtime ago really.
He was an assistant coach from a successful Swans team from 2010-2017 so a great learning curve for Dew.
However, he has been at an underperforming club from 2018-2023 with a winning record of just 30%.
Any Swans learnings become a long time ago and being senior coach is a lot different to assistant.

At the end of the day, it is most likely a win/win for both Dew and the Lions.
Appointments next year will give us more of an insight on Dews future.
I hope he is making a difference however slight as everything needs to improve to get to and win a GF.

I am not prepared to say Dew has improved us since he has come on board.
It has not been long enough for me to say for certain one way or the other. It was not a backward appointment though.
He is an experienced senior coach so obviously has good insight to the game of AFL and the players that make up a team.
The fact he is sitting in the coach's box during the games means Fagan wants him in that position.
I am sure his impute is taken seriously on game days.

However, Dew is now with a successful team, and he is most likely learning more about how to be successful from the way the Lions go about business. His Sydney experience was a longtime ago really.
He was an assistant coach from a successful Swans team from 2010-2017 so a great learning curve for Dew.
However, he has been at an underperforming club from 2018-2023 with a winning record of just 30%.
Any Swans learnings become a long time ago and being senior coach is a lot different to assistant.

At the end of the day, it is most likely a win/win for both Dew and the Lions.
Appointments next year will give us more of an insight on Dews future.
I hope he is making a difference however slight as everything needs to improve to get to and win a GF.
I get the feeling that senior coaching roles are very varied because of their own strengths as coaches. You have great man managers like Fages who may or may not have some weaknesses tactically but is a great leader. If our assessment of him is correct and he does need a #2 who is a great analyst/strategist then that is what we need to provide him for us to achieve ultimate success. A good leader does not need to be great at everything but needs to know what their weaknesses are and try to surround themselves with advisors or collegues who strengths make up for the leaders own short comings.

I am sure some of the greatest footy minds have been terrible coaches because their man management skills left far too much to be desired. Peter Sumich is one example that I know of, who if all accounts are correct is tactically brilliant (and if the rumours are true a major reason behind the Eagles success in the 00's) but no one will or would take a chance on him because of his perceived or actual shortcomings in areas like relationship management among other things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caro mentioning Danny Daly as one of the "in vogue" names to replace Wright at Collingwood.

Would be an interesting job for Danny to take with where the Pies are at on and off-field. The back-office seems in a bit of disorder. I'm sure his current job is very stressful, but this would be another five or ten steps up.

Would be an interesting job for Danny to take with where the Pies are at on and off-field. The back-office seems in a bit of disorder. I'm sure his current job is very stressful, but this would be another five or ten steps up.
It'd be tough for Danny, I hear he'll have to start working on his racist rants to fit in.

Is Bruce still the midfield coach? It was obvious yesterday and even last week that we allow far to much space to the opposition mids getting out the front of contests. I get we have a lot of “see ball, get ball” players in there, but we can’t be allowing that much space.

Is it a coaching issue? Perhaps. If so, maybe it’s time for a change up in that space.

Two 6 goal starts in a row. Two fade outs that lead to losses. Mentally weak - and the coaches box must carry a substantial portion of the responsibility.

A fair few other coaches would of had at least 1 flag in the bank by now too

Fagan has no control over the lions mental game and disjointed forwards…. For years

A fair few other coaches would of had at least 1 flag in the bank by now too

Fagan has no control over the lions mental game and disjointed forwards…. For years
Ken Hinkley, Ross Lyon or Nathan Buckley would be triple Premiership coaches if we got them on board in 2017 instead of Fages.

Ken Hinkley, Ross Lyon or Nathan Buckley would be triple Premiership coaches if we got them on board in 2017 instead of Fages.
You mean the three coaches who have no premierships between them despite having better teams in their coaching careers (minor premierships, etc) than we've had?

You didn't pick up on my sarcasm or facetiousness dlanod?
Absolutely did not!

Not even in the top 10 of crazy posted in the last 24 hours, I just thought you had those three in really high regard. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back