Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Fages, and do not want to lose him. But we have to admit that tactically, we were completely out coached last night. We desperately need some tactical nouse in the coaching box.
We have no plan B. I hope Dew stays around and we can work out a few alternatives in the off season.

But for now… onwards and upwards! Life is good 😊

I love Fages, and do not want to lose him. But we have to admit that tactically, we were completely out coached last night. We desperately need some tactical nouse in the coaching box.
We have no plan B. I hope Dew stays around and we can work out a few alternatives in the off season.

Weren't the Giants also out coached even more so last night?
Sometime I wonder if this "we need a plan B" or "Fagan has no plan B" is a troll but I assume you are being genuine Darren.
It seems to be the default thing to say when things aren't going our way. This group has won the most amount of games over the past 6 years, there are only minor improvements or changes that they can make. I doubt there is a team that has ever had a clear plan A and B and had all players in the squad capable of playing it to a level that no one is a point of weakness. Perhaps we need a plan B to get on top of our goal kicking accuracy but that's for next season.

A number of teams, us, Hawks and Giants have very particular game styles. We have shown we can play a kick long down the line and repeat stoppage game a lot over the last few years, not so much this year. We're clearly all about the uncontested mark, switch and go quick style. Last night we changed a little bit around the contest from what Lachie said but still played a lot of quick uncontested marks when we had momentum. Our game plan seems to be working pretty well since mid season against everyone. Why make a big tactical change?

Wtf are you in about. We literally executed a plan B and made the comeback. Just because you don't see it, it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Wtf are you in about. We literally executed a plan B and made the comeback. Just because you don't see it, it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
It’s such a lazy argument, unless there are clear positional changes people assume the coach isn’t doing anything.

Moving Zorko on the ball and getting McKenna on were match winning moves but really I think Fages attitude has always been about getting the game on our terms and sometimes that means backing the players in to get it together during games rather than making wholesale changes. I mean GWS went into ‘plan B’ mode and it cost them the game

We have a plan B. Our plan A is to play the combination of winning clearance/territory game with ability to transition from D50 to F50 with short precision passing using uncontested marks. Last night Giants' pressure and clearance work early was outstanding, stopping us from playing our plan A. We had to then regroup and try to win the contest and the game back on our terms, win a lot of stoppages and surge ball forward without being able to take advantage of our short kicking, uncontested ball movement.

If that's not a plan A and B, I don't know what is. Even if a team has different modes to play, they will not and should not deviate away from what makes them good in the first place. The core of our gamestyle comes from winning contests and territory battle. If we can't compete to the required level, none of plan B/C/D/E/F will mean anything.

Fagan said in his post match pressor. We were unable to use our uncontested marking game and had to resort to more chaos - and we proved we can win that way too.

How were we outcoached?

And thank **** we didn't go to plan B

Although we did make changes

Gee… I’m so proud.

I think I might have just been shouted down. 😂
Speaking of this poster Danster, he replied to one of my posts on the main board Port v hawks game day thread after the game when I said Sicily was having a sook with a picture of Lachie crying after our GF loss.

Must admit, given how much many of you lot talk about this notorious poster, I was humbled if not honoured for him to knock me down to the extend he did with Lachie picture and all :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think Fages writes in capitals on the whiteboard 'PLAN A' 'PLAN B' 'PLAN C' etc?

PLAN A is win the game in the first quarter.
PLAN B is chase down a deficit.
PLAN C is learnings.

Plan B is stick with Plan A when Plan A isn't working because we trust our team and /or system to come good more than we trust implementing a different plan during the course of the game.

Subbing Morris for McKenna yesterday was a proactive move when it was self evident that Morris couldn't get near it and I thought that was a good move. The only other thing we could've done was get Payne off Hogan but where else could we hide Payne and what sort of disruptive effect would that have had on the rest of our system which was showing signs of clicking into gear. Fortunately Payne didn't drop his bundle totally and Hogan's supply dropped off simultaneously

The other excellent move was Ah Chee to Whitfield which really limited a weapon of theirs and hurt them the other way.

The way we were getting belted we stuck with Plan A and to everyone's surprise it came good.

Plan B is stick with Plan A when Plan A isn't working because we trust our team and /or system to come good more than we trust implementing a different plan during the course of the game.

Subbing Morris for McKenna yesterday was a proactive move when it was self evident that Morris couldn't get near it and I thought that was a good move. The only other thing we could've done was get Payne off Hogan but where else could we hide Payne and what sort of disruptive effect would that have had on the rest of our system which was showing signs of clicking into gear. Fortunately Payne didn't drop his bundle totally and Hogan's supply dropped off simultaneously

The other excellent move was Ah Chee to Whitfield which really limited a weapon of theirs and hurt them the other way.

The way we were getting belted we stuck with Plan A and to everyone's surprise it came good.

Could not believe the talk of subbing eric off as well. I love Logan, but he's a kid in his first year and it was boys against men last night. Logan doesn't get dropped for the prelim because in the right game state he's a super asset, but its an easy decision to sub him if we want to go smaller.

Need eric to at minimum be a decoy and just compete, which he still does better than Logan.

Could not believe the talk of subbing eric off as well. I love Logan, but he's a kid in his first year and it was boys against men last night. Logan doesn't get dropped for the prelim because in the right game state he's a super asset, but its an easy decision to sub him if we want to go smaller.

Need eric to at minimum be a decoy and just compete, which he still does better than Logan.
Yeah no way Logan doesn't play this week. And at least he won't be sore. I think the MCG will suit him better than the swirling conditions last night in highly tight close checking contested ball situation . He should be able to use his smarts to find space on the MCG against the Geelong defence.

As for Hippy we have no one else and he just needs to get in the way or out of the way when we need him to.

I thought GWS were well coached to break our two main modes of moving the ball. At stoppage contests, their HFFs moved up the ground and made the game very congested. When we had the ball in the back half the HFFs moved to really shutdown the 50m arc near the corner of the center square (our favourite position to play through).

Unlike GWS, Fages has 100% faith in his players that if we play the way we want, we will win. But the giants congested the field and so all we could do was win and move the ball contest to contest. I'm not sure our Plan B was to play "chaos footy", we just had to get dirty at the coalface and win some ball.

I thought GWS were well coached to break our two main modes of moving the ball. At stoppage contests, their HFFs moved up the ground and made the game very congested. When we had the ball in the back half the HFFs moved to really shutdown the 50m arc near the corner of the center square (our favourite position to play through).

Unlike GWS, Fages has 100% faith in his players that if we play the way we want, we will win. But the giants congested the field and so all we could do was win and move the ball contest to contest. I'm not sure our Plan B was to play "chaos footy", we just had to get dirty at the coalface and win some ball.
It was really smart to make it a contested congested game when pre game everyone was tipping they'd beat us with fleet footed waves storming down the field. We just didn't adjust at all for most of the game but they couldn't keep it up for long enough once they got tired and we started playing better . I do think the relative intensity of last weeks' games told on them and helped us in the last 15 minutes.

fagan is a people person , he gets the best from the group and they to a man love him and would walk thru a brick wall for him , so enough of this crap if saturday night doesn't show you all how his aura benifits this group then you know nothing

Not another peep out of anyone wanting to replace Fagan .. or look out!:tongueoutv1:

He's the one who deserves a statue for what he's done for our club and the journey he and the boys have taken us on.
Hope you enjoyed the celebrations like everyone . Was thinking of you when I was pacing the house in that last quarter , because that’s what you do too .
This preliminary will be bittersweet for you too .
Take care 💐❤️

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back