Opinion Fan misery index by team supported

Remove this Banner Ad

And well, then there’s this:

I got half way through reading the notes of 2007 and 2008 and was already feeling trauma and not even a Demons fan.
Should be a lifeline link on that blog for Dees fans.

I was thinking about which team's supporters suffered the most misery.

I came up with a simple fan misery index.

Obviously the higher the score the more that teams fans have suffered.

Poor buggers supporting Melbourne FC have had a wretched old time.

AFL team fan's misery index by team supported:

Melbourne 57
Saints 30
Blues 25
North 22
Freo 21
Bombers 21
Lions 18
Port 17
Swans 15
Crows 12
Pies 9
GWS 6
Hawks 6
Bulldogs 5
Eagles 3
Geelong 3
Richmond 1

[Gold Coast NA]

Can you outline the formula you used to arrive at these conclusions ??

Ever experienced your club being removed from the competition?
I posted Collingwood previously on the score of their near misses in GF's over the last 60 years, but that's the big one for misery. I can't imagine me supporting the new entity (however that may look) with the same level of passion. I hope the success of the Brisbane Lions has bought the old Fitzroy supporters some joy.

I got half way through reading the notes of 2007 and 2008 and was already feeling trauma and not even a Demons fan.
Should be a lifeline link on that blog for Dees fans.

Just had a read through, brutal stuff. It did lead me to find this gem STILL up on the Demons official YouTube channel after all these years:

Whiteboard-Wednesday-week-one-part-one-YouTube.png

And to add a few more Demon misery points to the index, Ben Brown kicked 6 in this week's intra club (that's good!) but now requires knee surgery that will rule him out for the start of the season (that's bad!).

OP has a big dose of recency bias. Tigers with a score of 1???

Up until a few years ago there was hardly a more suffering supporter base over the last 30 years.

3 out of 4 flags well and truly wipes away 30 years of built up misery. No Richmond supporter is grumbling about how bad the 2000s were.

OP has a big dose of recency bias. Tigers with a score of 1???

Up until a few years ago there was hardly a more suffering supporter base over the last 30 years.
He's got the Bulldogs score at 5 and Hawthorn at 6

Apparently the Bulldogs' 2016 flag trumps Hawthorn's 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2008 flags (or the 9 before that)
I think that pretty much sums up all you need to know about the accuracy of the "fan misery index"

Apparently the Bulldogs' 2016 flag trumps Hawthorn's 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2008 flags (or the 9 before that)
I think that pretty much sums up all you need to know about the accuracy of the "fan misery index"
So 2016 + 5 = 2021 and 2015 +6 = 2021, groundbreaking logic, i need some breakfast and i need it now to fuel my outrage.

It's all relative. The joy that the 2016 flag brought Bulldogs supporters is still carrying them through. Based on the whinging by a lot of Hawks fans here, the 3 peat (amazing an achievement as it was), is well in the rearview mirror. A symptom of having an ultra successful 30 years, I guess.

On another note, Jake Stringer looks to have pinged a lower leg/calf just to add a few points to the Essendon index.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the Saints are #1.

27 spoons, 1 flag. Even their recent period where they made the GF two years in a row and were a bounce away from winning a flag is remembered for negative Ross Lyon footy and then him walking out on the club.

Melbourne fans who followed their club passionately in the late 2000s and 2010s are a bit miserable, but plenty of Melbourne fans still look back on the 1950s like it has relevance. They were good once. Same as Richmond who are good again but were garbage for 30 years. St Kilda have pretty much always been garbage.
Surely it must be the Eagles. Haven't won every premiership, haven't got every free kick and haven't played every game at home.

It’s purely a mindset.
Like a spoilt kid whinging about having nothing surrounded by new gear.
Whilst hand out a second hand toy in an orphanage, nothing but pure joy.
Being a freo supporter just making the last dance was pure joy.
I went to the 2015 gf and hawks supporters were bagging their own players and spewing vitriol at the umpires when they were 40 points up going for a 3peat.
A week after we lossed in 2013 and since I realise it’s just going to be all the sweeter when it does happen.
A coke addict chases the feeling of what a first timer feels their whole life.
Have to agree with this. Even though 2019 and 2020 were great flags for us nothing beats the utter joy that came from our 2017 flag and ending a 37 year drought. That feeling of elation and experiencing something you thought you might never experience is something very very special. I hope Melbourne, saints and freo fans get to experience it one day like us and dogs fans have recently.

So 2016 + 5 = 2021 and 2015 +6 = 2021, groundbreaking logic,
That shows you the amount of time I spent evaluating the "fan misery index" i.e. less than 2 seconds. :)
i need some breakfast and i need it now to fuel my outrage.
You do seem overly upset about my criticism of the OP's methods.

Make sure you get some fibre into you. It helps to keep you regular.

It's all relative. The joy that the 2016 flag brought Bulldogs supporters is still carrying them through. Based on the whinging by a lot of Hawks fans here, the 3 peat (amazing an achievement as it was), is well in the rearview mirror. A symptom of having an ultra successful 30 years, I guess.

On another note, Jake Stringer looks to have pinged a lower leg/calf just to add a few points to the Essendon index.
The OP's fundamental flaw is to generalise about club fanbases as though they all think alike. (Not just the OP, but everyone does this.)

Obviously "fan misery" is entirely dependent on how much of a misery guts each person is in their daily life irrespective of the footy.

I've had to move seats to get away from the constant negativity and paranoid rantings of certain Hawthorn fans... and this was around 2014/2015 when we were belting opponents by 100 points. Every club has their percentage of "fans" who are like this.

3 out of 4 flags well and truly wipes away 30 years of built up misery. No Richmond supporter is grumbling about how bad the 2000s were.

So then it's basically just a list of who won the most recent flags? That's kinda pointless. We already know that.

As Back One Out observed, Doggies fans are apparently less miserable then Hawk fans according to that index, because they won a flag more recently? Turn it up. They'd be the least miserable fans in AFL from young to old.

Ignoring 30 years of success or failure is flawed IMO. It's like thinking you've more sexual satisfaction than Hugh Hefner had because you got laid last night.

You do seem overly upset about my criticism of the OP's methods.

Make sure you get some fibre into you. It helps to keep you regular.
Nope, i get that it's pointless dribble i just don't feel the need to post on it, unlike you.

I use Meta Mucil which helped me back two out before breakfast, regularity is life.

How does seeing so many Hawthorn champions who should be one club players handed out like lollies make you feel ?

As Back One Out observed, Doggies fans are apparently less miserable then Hawk fans according to that index, because they won a flag more recently? Turn it up. They'd be the least miserable fans in AFL from young to old.

If St Kilda win the flag this year, I guarantee you won't find a happier bunch of people than Saints fans. Their current level of misery correlates to extreme levels of happiness once success is achieved. That's why most Hawks fans are whingers despite the flags they've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Fan misery index by team supported

Remove this Banner Ad

Back