News Farewell, and thank you for your service thread

Who will we miss the most?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez you'd think Parfitt would be a better fit than Murphy
We already have better options than Murphy.

The issue is we need a better option as coach to see this.

It's almost as if not being certain yet how many players are coming to your club might have an impact on which players you want to delist!

Seriously, I don't get the obsession with wanting the club to delist players ASAP. It's not a race. It's not like trade week where doing one early gives you time to focus on another. The club will already know which players it is happy to cut. They just needs to work out how many players they are bringing in.

There is plenty to be upset with the club about without worrying about us not delisting players early enough.
The issue I have and mentioned earlier is we openly stated we would be aggressive in recruiting

If we were as aggressive as we said we should know who was locked in.

If we haven't locked anyone in then it's a fail and Reid needs to be delisted

The issue I have and mentioned earlier is we openly stated we would be aggressive in recruiting

If we were as aggressive as we said we should know who was locked in.

If we haven't locked anyone in then it's a fail and Reid needs to be delisted

The trade period doesn't start for another fortnight. I don't think it's reasonable for us to have a bunch of players committing to the club just yet.

I agree, if we get to the end of the trade period and all we have to show are 1-2 players who nominated us in advance, then we will have failed to live up to our word.

The trade period doesn't start for another fortnight. I don't think it's reasonable for us to have a bunch of players committing to the club just yet.

I agree, if we get to the end of the trade period and all we have to show are 1-2 players who nominated us in advance, then we will have failed to live up to our word.

At the end of the day we can be ultra aggressive all we like, if we cant attract players and quality off field staff, that is going to speak volumes about how the club is viewed.

Personally I'm not that impatient about delistings but an announcement of Ned McHenry's delisting would be very soothing and a boon for my mental health.

We won’t announce delistings because if we don’t get the new players we want, they’ll keep some. Given we’ve hidden behind experience, there’s no way they’ll cut experience and replace them with just kids, no matter how strong the draft is or how poor those experienced players are.

This offseason is all about getting some more wins to take the pressure off and premiership success is not the aim.

Lack of turnover has been a problem for us, I agree. But the notion that we "can't pick a single player" that we're moving on from is fanciful. We're obviously going to delist a number of players. The timing of our announcement has no bearing on how many get delisted, other than to the extent that more information about who is coming here may come to light.

If you want to have a discussion about how we seem determined to delist only a few players this year, that's a separate topic where we're probably on the same page.

The first two paragraphs seem a bit silly to me. Holding off as long as possible for what? There is no new information to come in about the proverbial Ben Davis between now and next week.

I can certainly see us wanting to hold off until after the B&F just from a decency standpoint, but honestly, I think it's a simpler equation than that. I think we've already worked out how many new players we intend to bring into the club next year, based on our draft hand and trade targets. The only open question is, can we get anyone to commit to the club in advance? If so, that may shift the equation slightly - for example, if Cumming chooses us, it doesn't impact our draft hand at all, so perhaps we will bring in one additional player to the club.

Again, there is no opportunity cost for delaying announcing our delistings. There's no harm associated with it. I think we have a collection of players already identified that we are prepared to delist. Now we're just working out how many of them will go.

The reason we haven’t delisted anyone yet is that depending on other trade/FA movements, we might still have a spot for them. We haven’t released a single player because none are yet fully gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I'm not that impatient about delistings but an announcement of Ned McHenry's delisting would be very soothing and a boon for my mental health.
Yes please cannot relax until I receive official notification of that .
And no do not want to hear might re rookie either .
Also having trouble waiting for Cummings to sign for us as well.

The reason we haven’t delisted anyone yet is that depending on other trade/FA movements, we might still have a spot for them. We haven’t released a single player because none are yet fully gone.
Which is crap to be honest

We have a bunch of players who have shown their ceiling is not AFL standard

It shouldn't be a matter of waiting to see if we can get someone better

It should be that they aren't going to make it, and to let them go and try someone else. That someone else might not make it either, but we know the likes of Hamill, Parnell, McHenry, Jones, Burgess, Himmelberg etc aren't going to make it

Its just evidence the club still doesn't know what it is doing. It didn't know what it was doing when it recruited Brett Turner in the mid season draft, didn't play him and sacked him 6 months later. When it played Jimmy Rowe all season at the expense of other guys then delisted him. When it played Smith this year, triggered an extension then dropped him to the 2's. When it hadn't sorted out Tex's contract situation before the last home game of the season.

I don't really see it, to be honest. Does delisting players later in the delisting period make them feel better than if we do it earlier?

If your argument is that we've historically retained players that we should have delisted, I agree. But that's not what the posters in this thread are complaining about now. They're complaining that other clubs have started delisting players before us. I don't see why that is an issue.
I would have thought that delisting earlier could also give the player a chance to look at getting picked up as a DFA, which can be an attractive option for other teams as they don’t have to pay for them with any draft capital.

Which is crap to be honest

We have a bunch of players who have shown their ceiling is not AFL standard

It shouldn't be a matter of waiting to see if we can get someone better

It should be that they aren't going to make it, and to let them go and try someone else. That someone else might not make it either, but we know the likes of Hamill, Parnell, McHenry, Jones, Burgess, Himmelberg etc aren't going to make it

Its just evidence the club still doesn't know what it is doing. It didn't know what it was doing when it recruited Brett Turner in the mid season draft, didn't play him and sacked him 6 months later. When it played Jimmy Rowe all season at the expense of other guys then delisted him. When it played Smith this year, triggered an extension then dropped him to the 2's. When it hadn't sorted out Tex's contract situation before the last home game of the season.

Clearly people replying to this topic know more than I do but how the hell do we get the big knobs at the club to act on these simple directions. In a very deep draft surely you take a gamble on a speculative pick instead of a “Murphy “

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

News Farewell, and thank you for your service thread

Back