News Farewell Scully, KMarshall, Narkle, FEvans, Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone (can't remember who) wrote that Scully would likely be delisted if Hinkley wasn't remaining. Anyone write that?

I thought it but don't remember posting it. Or did I think that about any one of half a dozen other players? I can't remember but it sounds like something I would think and might post.

McEntee might be in trouble if there is a guy in the draft or that we can rookie in the draft.

McEntee will be in trouble if Ken departs at the end of 2025 and Mc Entee is uncontracted. I cannot decide which will cause me the biggest melt, re signing Ken or re signing Jed McEntee.

Offering Mc Entee a two year contract is possibly the most puzzling decision I can remember in our AFL era. It just edges out re signing Hinkley before last year's finals had been decided.

McEntee will be in trouble if Ken departs at the end of 2025 and Mc Entee is uncontracted. I cannot decide which will cause me the biggest melt, re signing Ken or re signing Jed McEntee.

Offering Mc Entee a two year contract is possibly the most puzzling decision I can remember in our AFL era. It just edges out re signing Hinkley before last year's finals had been decided.
I wasn't happy about the McEntee resigning.

With his two other mediocre partners in crime gone in Fevans and Narkle, and Joe Richards supposedly a good player and Benny Barrett coming in, the future is looking like dim.

It was just another symptom of the coaching and admin staff drinking their own bath water.

The lack of accountability has really allowed the narcissistics who run the club to do as they like and continually justify their poor decision making by actually doubling down on their errors and ruining our chances of winning.

At this point in time, they are just hoping to win it all. Koch said as much as that at the B&F speech.

Yes. 100%.

Depends on whether he negotiates a settlement. There's no reason to believe he has negotiated anything other than asking Port to delist him so he can move to another club.

Yeah I think you are correct, as far as I know Tom asked to be released from his contract,

He may not play on although asking to be released from his contract suggests he has a commitment from another club to take him on.

Cool that Clurey ripped up his own contract.

He didn't ask to be released, have a commitment from another club, or "rip up his own contract".

His time at AFL level may be up, but let's put to bed the idea he was the one to do the walking away.

Yes, I can confirm that Scully himself personally thought his best chance of remaining was if Ken stayed. He obviously did, but unfortunately for him it didn't matter. He found out on Friday that he was gone.

Scully was told he just doesn't have that competitive mongrel and work ethic they want. They tried to get it out of him, but he didn't exhibit it and they don't believe he will make it based on that. To be honest, looks like he'll just be the next Redden, Mitch Harvey type, that will probably go onto have a good SANFL career but just might not have been up to AFL.
When clubs make these decisions this is the thing we don’t see,‘personality. Maybe he needs the age cut to pull his finger out!

He didn't ask to be released, have a commitment from another club, or "rip up his own contract".

His time at AFL level may be up, but let's put to bed the idea he was the one to do the walking away.
So the club is lying?

"In addition, contracted defender Tom Clurey has decided to seek other opportunities to extend his playing career.."

He may not play on although asking to be released from his contract suggests he has a commitment from another club to take him on. Either way I can't get my head around the club having to pay him for a contract he is not fulfilling.

It's not like the club desperately wanted to keep him but he wanted to leave. It's mutually beneficial. He would only have agreed to be released from the contract on the proviso that the club pay him should he not be picked up by another club. Otherwise he would've just sat there and collected another ~400-500k to play SANFL as he did this year.

This from the PAFC website...

In addition, contracted defender Tom Clurey has decided to seek other opportunities to extend his playing career.
Clurey said it was now time to look for opportunities elsewhere.

“I've loved my time at Port Adelaide but now it's time to move on and see what other opportunities exist for me to extend my AFL career,” Clurey said.
“Over the last 12 months the club has moved in a different direction with its defensive structure and personnel. Whilst I understand this, I still feel as though I have more to offer."

That sounds like Tom Clurey realises that he is not guaranteed a regular game and decided to move on.

In addition, contracted defender Tom Clurey has decided to seek other opportunities to extend his playing career.

“I've loved my time at Port Adelaide but now it's time to move on and see what other opportunities exist for me to extend my AFL career,” Clurey said.
“Over the last 12 months the club has moved in a different direction with its defensive structure and personnel. Whilst I understand this, I still feel as though I have more to offer."

That sounds like Tom Clurey realises that he is not guaranteed a regular game and decided to move on.
Tom Clurey realises that he is not guaranteed an occasional game....

game and decided to move on.

Considering he has played one game in 2 seasons, i think it is very fair to say that Tom Clurey would be aware by now that he isn't guaranteed a regular game here. I don't think he is getting a regular AFL game anywhere unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's mutual. The club don't want to waste a list spot on a player they have no intention of playing and Tom himself would be a better chance of being picked up by another club if he is free to train with them and/or can be picked up as a delisted free agent. The club have plenty of salary cap space so agree to still pay him in the event that he doesn't get picked up elsewhere. Port get an extra list spot, Tom still gets paid and maximises his chances of getting picked up elsewhere, everyone wins.

Opted out indicates otherwise IMO. He must have a contract somewhere. I maintain it's a bit insane how much we wrote him off, he was a pretty good key defender.
Damned by most of the time he was forced to take the number 1 opposition KPD, when he was clearly a second or third KPD. Most of the time Jonas played the last few years, Clurey (when fit) would have been a better option of that 'not the no 1 KPD' position.

McEntee is saved by his contract. Not because he's on big money and we couldn't afford to pay him out though. Cutting him would have shown how stupid it was to give him multiple years to begin with. It's all about everyone at the club looking good, rather than what's good for the club. I'm sure if we had had a new coach end of season he'd have been out the door before one of Narkle or Francis Evans, contract or not.

Did Port Adelaide make a mistake delisting teenage key forward Thomas Scully while retaining 36-year-old veteran Travis Boak? That was the question posed by Mark Bickley on SEN SA Breakfast on Tuesday morning.
The Power announced a slew of delistings on Monday, including Quinton Narkle and Francis Evans, who both featured in finals action in 2024. It came following the decision to re-sign Boak, who played 23 games this season.
Scully, a 19-year-old 203cm key forward did not debut for the Power, stuck behind the likes of Charlie Dixon, Todd Marshall, Mitch Georgiades, Jeremy Finlayson and Ollie Lord.
He was also stuck in a SANFL team that went 4-14 and finished with a percentage of 40, making it tough for a key forward to develop and perform.
Bickley feels Scully had some potential and was caught off guard by his culling. “I was a little bit surprised because he at different stages showed a little bit at SANFL level,” the two-time premiership skipper told SEN SA Breakfast.
“And that’s difficult when you’re a forward and there’s not a lot of ball coming in. “He’s 200cm and it takes a little bit longer for big guys to develop.”

You should really be able to go over your list spots during the trade/free agency/draft period and have a final cut to 44 (or whatever the number is now) afterwards.

Pretty hard to comment on our list management when the objectives for the upcoming season are opaque and they change to suit the made up narrative of Koch and co.

If we were all in for a premiership then keep Boak and Houston. But we don’t have the cattle for that.

If we are rebuilding the list then keep Scully, retire Boak and trade Houston. Best list ever!

Our spankers are firing darts in the dark relying on luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Farewell Scully, KMarshall, Narkle, FEvans, Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back