News Farewell Scully, KMarshall, Narkle, FEvans, Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Miles off was hyperbole, but Soldo, Atkins, Ratugolea, Burton, Richards and one of Finlayson or Marshall won't be best 22 and you'd hope Boak will be in the same boat before the end of the season.

Also Atkins isn't miles off, he'll play for us.

It confuses me that people have a problem with fringe players being past a certain age but then also complain about lack of depth.

It confuses me that people have a problem with fringe players being past a certain age but then also complain about lack of depth.

I don't have a problem with our depth apart from maybe key defence, which I still think is comfortably within manageable limits.

I don have a problem with our attitude towards developing talls. Guess we'll just use another future first to plug that gap down the line.

There’s depth and then there’s Boak.
Better off drafting a late pick kid who might turn out good against someone we know is finished.
I like him personally but no way he should be on our list.

The issue with our depth is that Hinkley prefers to play middling veterans to genuine spuds to unaccountable older players at the expense at trying younger players.

There were 44 games handed out to McEntee, Narkle and Evans, two of which were delisted and Jed being saved by his contract.

Boak got 23 games and he played OK but it would've been nice to invest in a guy who could leapfrog his type of impact after a fair whack of games like Lorenz.

Obviously Dixon on one leg with 18 games. There wasn't a lot of options but I still would've played Lord with two legs and see what happens.

The unaccountable Burton with 15 games.

Did Port Adelaide make a mistake delisting teenage key forward Thomas Scully while retaining 36-year-old veteran Travis Boak? That was the question posed by Mark Bickley on SEN SA Breakfast on Tuesday morning.
The Power announced a slew of delistings on Monday, including Quinton Narkle and Francis Evans, who both featured in finals action in 2024. It came following the decision to re-sign Boak, who played 23 games this season.
Scully, a 19-year-old 203cm key forward did not debut for the Power, stuck behind the likes of Charlie Dixon, Todd Marshall, Mitch Georgiades, Jeremy Finlayson and Ollie Lord.
He was also stuck in a SANFL team that went 4-14 and finished with a percentage of 40, making it tough for a key forward to develop and perform.
Bickley feels Scully had some potential and was caught off guard by his culling. “I was a little bit surprised because he at different stages showed a little bit at SANFL level,” the two-time premiership skipper told SEN SA Breakfast.
“And that’s difficult when you’re a forward and there’s not a lot of ball coming in. “He’s 200cm and it takes a little bit longer for big guys to develop.”
**** YES

I don't have a problem with our depth apart from maybe key defence, which I still think is comfortably within manageable limits.

I don have a problem with our attitude towards developing talls. Guess we'll just use another future first to plug that gap down the line.

I agree. There are a few issues at play here, firstly that a number of our young players are late picks and have not been in the system for long. Having said that, Lorenz and Anastasopulos showed enough to get more than one quarter of AFL football between them in the minor round. But Ken locked onto 25-6 players he would only choose from, especially late in the year when he was trying to protect his job after being booed by those meanies.

Physical development is an issue, Scully and Marshall would never have been ready to go this year (and Marshall never showed enough to be picked). I've said already I would've given Scully another season. All of our first year players looked too lightweight.

Jackson keeps getting injured at the wrong times, I have a lot of time for him, although he could do with a few extra kgs as well. There's a borderline case to be made for him having been given a game or few by now.

Charleson was injured a lot and didn't really ever look like it. Hope he shows more next year. McCallum just never looked like it.

Walsh looks a get, just needs some more size and experience. Lord needs an injury free run, he has to show something next year.

Sinn looked like he could establish himself, his last few games were ok.

Visentini is a potential first ruck, Williams is in the twilight zone.

Evans is a beauty. Great pick up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Farewell Scully, KMarshall, Narkle, FEvans, Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back