Other Favorite Jerseys and General Uniform Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What are Your Favorite and Least Favorite NFL Uniforms?

i don't really rate nfl jerseys much, to me they are just glorified t-shirts

if they did it AFL style, removed the number on the front to allow room for some design, then it would be different

You need the numbers on the front, the way football is played with the lines - offense and defense, you are always looking at one teams front and one teams back.

More like sponsorship patches for the money hungry/ propaganda-minded AFL. AFL jumpers becoming more & more 'rent advertising space' as the shorts get branded plus FRONT & back of the jumper. Glorified oversized t-shirts still keep the NFL tradition rolling on, easy to distinguish with Home & road uniforms. Won't be long before the AFL finally give up and put names on the back of players jumpers as the 'character' factor is severely lagging.. they are all obedient soldiers these days. With the NFL, you have designed plays, no fancy nancy-boy fashion statements required. :)

If Australia had the population of America - they wouldn't need sponsorship money either, the thing is though, we aren't the size of America, there isn't that much money in footy so we need the extra dollars in any way possible.

All jerseys are very basic, but NFL uniforms are 'busy' enough as is with helmet, jersey, pants, socks, that they'd become cluttered if you introduced AFL style designs

Exactly, the AFL has short shorts, no helmets, no accessories, each teams brand has to be put onto a little guernsey - which also doesn't have sleeves which obviously means no sleeve designs to make a brand out of. They usually do a good job of it too.

NFL like you said, has team logos on the helmet, pants, etc. An overly designed top would be overkill.

Both are different sports, in different countries with different needs: the need of advertising in one market compared to the other.

As for my favourite jersey designs, always a tough one, but I love the Patriots red alt/throwback - I really wish they would wear the alt with navy pants. There's no better colour combination than a deep red top with navy pants. Saints and Packers are nice as well. On the other hand, I really dislike the Bears, mainly due to their sleeve stripes.

If Australia had the population of America - they wouldn't need sponsorship money either, the thing is though, we aren't the size of America, there isn't that much money in footy so we need the extra dollars in any way possible.

The problem with the AFL IMHO is wanting to keep up with other 'professional leagues' so they need to pump in $$$$. Going too fast into Overkill. :rolleyes: The skills of the game are not as impressive as advertised. It's a Turnover sport now :p with no need to speed up the game with more & more inexperience players pumped into the system. Ave age is 22? wtf? Overpaid & overated AFL. Less bang for your buck with No (very less) accountability and way too much tolerance for skill errors. :thumbsdown:

Exactly, the AFL has short shorts, no helmets, no accessories, each teams brand has to be put onto a little guernsey - which also doesn't have sleeves which obviously means no sleeve designs to make a brand out of. They usually do a good job of it too.

NFL like you said, has team logos on the helmet, pants, etc. An overly designed top would be overkill.

Both are different sports, in different countries with different needs: the need of advertising in one market compared to the other.

Soccer uniforms are simple designed uniforms. The AFL keep tweaking their clubs uniforms for the $$$$. Overdone & overkill. :thumbsdown: Already easily distinguishable. PLUS the AFL F**** up with getting the umpires uniform clash that causes anxiety & grief for all concerned.

I agree wholeheartedly with your second comment.

Of the last comment. AFL is overdoing so badly to a point that it's become a 'Corporate -robotic style Tv game'. The specific character showing of players has dried up enormously. Sure we can distinguish the 'class players' from the scrappers but these 'class units' have very little personality to give up in this 'new age TV corporate game'.

InCase's appreciation for deep red and navy blue combination is a good one.
That would look pretty good for New England.
Richer than the current uniform which is bland imo.

Also, on the same kind of theme, I reckon Chicago's throwback they've been wearing this season, the navy jersey with just the orange numbers and sleeves (no white) looks much meaner and cooler. They should go to that full-time imo.

46-23959-1-Y.jpg

Vikings-Alternate-00.jpg

Just like how the Vikes should wear this one.

Indeed. A lot of throwbacks are superior to the modern designs.

Patriots, Vikes, Bears, Falcons, and Broncos, for starters, should all go their throwbacks.

Redskins appear to have taken the hint and are wearing those yellow pants with their maroon tops and look infinitely better.

I really like that Bronco one i posted in this thread.

Denver%20Broncos%20%20John%20Elway%201994%20Yellow.jpg

Patriots, Vikes, Bears, Falcons, and Broncos, for starters, should all go their throwbacks.
Not the Bucs.
images.footballfanatics.com_productImages__321000_FF_321734_xl.jpg

This one is pretty average. Peach is in no way a threatening/mean-looking colour

I also like the Creamsicle jersey with the gay pirate. :D

old%2Bbucs%2Blogo.gif

fantastic. :D

Personally, Im a fan of these throwback plus the Eagles, Steelers and Rams throwbacks.

Also like Raiders, Ravens and Saints all black jerseys

Chicago are the only team I can think of that have a great 1-2-3 punch of uniforms (home, away, throwback)
But in general most teams have 2/3 and are let down by either the throwbacks or mainly white away strips (not a fan)
akv7lv.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NFCW-Uniform-SEA.PNG

this is the worst.

I hate their home one for the same reason I hate the Eagles home one - the dominant colour is shit. :p

NFCE-Uniform-PHI.PNG

design of the eagle wing on the helmet on the home/away + the throwback jersey = win!

Chicago are the only team I can think of that have a great 1-2-3 punch of uniforms (home, away, throwback)
But in general most teams have 2/3 and are let down by either the throwbacks or mainly white away strips (not a fan)

Similarly I like the Chargers (before they changed in 2007) and Ravens. The common link between these three being the dark helmet and mainly dark away strip.

2yy2emr.jpg
2mi1451.jpg

But on the flipside I like the colour of Packers and Chiefs, the blandness of the Cowboys and Raiders. . . hell I like any NFL uniform, even Seahawks, retro Buccs etc.
Perhaps it would have been easier to list my least favourite. . .

it goes without saying Chargers powderblue > dark blue.

It seems to me that more and more teams are moving to navy blue for some reason.

Yes its a nice colour but its shit when everyone has it in some form or another.

Oh and btw. I also 2nd powder blue >>> navy blue.

anything but the browns!! but i love the new orleans saints uniforms along with the steelers one

For some reason I love Washington's away uniform.:p

Similarly I like the Chargers (before they changed in 2007) and Ravens. The common link between these three being the dark helmet and mainly dark away strip.

2yy2emr.jpg
2mi1451.jpg

But on the flipside I like the colour of Packers and Chiefs, the blandness of the Cowboys and Raiders. . . hell I like any NFL uniform, even Seahawks, retro Buccs etc.
Perhaps it would have been easier to list my least favourite. . .
I gotta agree with this - I own a Ravens Alt jersey and the Black with purple trim = Sexiness.

I've always liked the Seahawks, Colts and Packers jerseys long with the Ravens.

Just like the AFL the uniforms in the NFL are boring these days compared to the 80s. I hate the move away from brighter lighter colours to darker boring colours.

I loved that Tampa Bay helmet as well as the New England one:

NewEnglandPatriotsOld.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Favorite Jerseys and General Uniform Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back