Fevola 99 Merged Threads - The whinges, the hate, the commiserations and congratulations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Carlton Supporters Complaining about not gifting Fevola his 100

I think the problem people have had with it, is whether or not it was in the spirit of the game. If Fev was on 50 goals, would they have triple teamed him late in the game? Of course not. I don't think anyone was expecting Hawthorn to just hand him the 100, but just playing the game as you normally would is what probably should have been done. Going out of your way to prevent someone achieving a milestone is pretty ordinary.

YES:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Did anyone see Chance Bateman's celebration when the siren went? Jumped into the air like they had just won by under a goal. This showed to me that the hawks were pretty keen to not let Fev get his 100. Might have been their focus for the last term to keep them motivated.

In my mind that was the most disgraceful thing. He punched the air like they had won by a point and they beat a bottom 8 side by 80 points.

I have no isse with Clarkson putting 3 on Fev. Simply because he was the only person Carlton were going to. So in a pure football sense that was the right move. But Bateman's reaction was apalling.

First of all id like to congratulate fev on getting 99 goals... an amazing effort that anyone should be proud of. Cant help but think of Shane Warnes 99 against NZ. I think its a fair comparison too, seen as though it was as close as Warne ever got. You cant expect that NZ player in the deep to drop the catch for Warney's milestone. To do that would make a mockery of what we call sport and to hand fev the 100 (which the umpires nearly did eg. fevs 99th) would be the same.

Fev still has a few good years left in him and with an improving midfield lets hope that he can kick the ton and do what Shane Warne could not. All the best next year fev and with Buddy's inaccuracy im going to put some money on you for the coleman.

Re: ATT: Fev haters

Can't believe how much Carlton have turned BF into a whinge fest...build a bridge, get over it, learn from the season and aim to be bigger and better next year.

Anyone know where Carlton are going for very mad monday?

Hate Carlton, love Fev (bar when he's playing the Dons). Really feel for the bloke. Good on the Blues for giving him every opportunity last night. Just didn't do enough in the first half. 7 goals in a half is still a pretty good effort.

Since when did Brendan Fevola earn the god given right to kick 100 goals in a season?

If you want to kick the ton, you've got to earn them. Every last one.

What I would have liked to see is with the last minute to go in the game a Hawthorn defender to deliberately hand pass the ball to Fevola and let him kick the goal se Fevola can have his moment.

The Hawks were nearly 70 points up and I can't see what impact one more goal to Carlton would have had.

What I would have liked to see is with the last minute to go in the game a Hawthorn defender to deliberately hand pass the ball to Fevola and lety him kick the goal se Fevola can have his moment.

The Hawks were nearly 70 points up and I can't see what impact one more goal to Carlton would have had.

WTF?:eek: What is going on here, I can't believe some of this crap.
If one of my players did that he would spend the rest of season in the magoos.
This is getting bizarre

In my mind that was the most disgraceful thing. He punched the air like they had won by a point and they beat a bottom 8 side by 80 points.

I have no isse with Clarkson putting 3 on Fev. Simply because he was the only person Carlton were going to. So in a pure football sense that was the right move. But Bateman's reaction was apalling.
Yes, Hawthorn were not trying to stop Carlton's only avenue to goal, and keep their performance at a high level, they were purely trying to stop Fevola, that's why they had all 22 players in the back half for the entire last quarter...... and didn't kick any goals ourselves.......

Yes Bateman's great performance on Stevens, and the smashing his team delivered on their opponents would have been way behind the joy he would have received Fevola not getting his 100. The highlight of Bateman's season, was Fevola not getting 100, not that the season is over, and we are entering the finals in second place, and Bateman never ever celebrates wins with emotion.......

What a crock.

Fevola didn't get 100 goals, he wasn't good enough.

Hawthorn spanked Carlton, and treated them with contempt all game.

Carlton can't deal with that, and want charity from their opponents so their player can have 100.

Too bad.

No-one is claiming that Fev did kick 100 goals.

What we are claiming is that Hawthorn's coach deliberately went out of his way to stop him getting his 100th goal during the last quarter of a 70-point blowout. That is petty and spiteful.

It seems that the hawks won the last quarter 8.2 to 4.3 of which Fev kicked 3.1 (at least). There way of dominating the Blues was to play 2 on Fev.

I seem to remember 3 or 4 on Buddy in the first quarter. Why didn't Raten go one on one with Buddy? I would love to have seen him kick 10! WHy? Because its a game and part of the game is to stop your opponent doing what they want!

Perhaps if they hadn't been so Fev conscious the Hawks would have had to match their opponents and that would have opened things up for Fev!

Hawthorn's decision to put 4 players on Fevola was poor form. It shows a lack of respect for Carlton. If it was a Collingwood or Essendon or Port Adelaide forward in the same position I would say the same thing. A lack of respect for the game and for the opposition.

I think there is a good chance Hawthorn will regret this decision sometime in the coming 3 seasons.

I certainly will be hoping Hawthorn get smashed by 100 points by Geelong in the finals.

Go Cats!

WTF? Lack of respect? No one respects Carlton because you cheat your way to everything and trying to get an opposition side to lay down and let him get 100 is cheating. You do realise there were books been run on whether he could do it? So you practice a bit of 'match' fixing do you?

Hawthorn did the right thing, your mids were dumb enough to kick it to him every time, all night. If they had spread the Hawks defence he would have been one out more often but dumb play led to Hawthorn rightly triple teaming him.

When your club learns that you have to earn respect you might get some.

What I would have liked to see is with the last minute to go in the game a Hawthorn defender to deliberately hand pass the ball to Fevola and let him kick the goal se Fevola can have his moment.

What?

AFL supporters have lost the plot.

Imagine McGrath bowling a half volley to Lara to gift him a 100 runs in a game even though Aussie's are winning. McGrath would have brought an extra slip in, bowled a bouncer, then tried to get him out next ball with a peach delivery so Lara knows you have to earn it against Australia. If he bowls the half tracker, its allowing Lara to feel some kind of victory against his opponents, but Australia don't allow that, they are ruthless. Lara wouldn't expect it any other way.

What is it with soft supporters thinking that you should give someone a reward, and them not have to earn it the way the opposition deems they should.

I can't believe the reactions, when Carlton won quick ball they managed to get Fevola one out. When they brought it in slowly, like when Judd did with his late kick, Hawthorn push numbers back the longer they take, especially going for one opponent, because we are instructed to help our defence and stop goals.

Its either people just wanting to dig into Hawthorn for the sake of it, or soft Blues supporters not knowing how to accept a defeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard of betting on games? There were legal bets on last nights shoot out. If a Hawk player did that it would amount to a form of match fixing and bookies would be up in arms.

You want a hundred, you earn it. I remember BT playing with a bung leg to get there. It is special and it is not to be given to anyone.

The game would have become a farce if the players gifted Fevola the 100th goal

If you think its soley a Hawthorn thing to go all out to make sure the ton isn't kicked, watch the Eagles game last week

Haha, what? Some of you people can't be serious, gift Fevola a goal because it would make him feel good?

Wouldn't that be considered match fixing? Unsportsman like? When Cartlons inside 50 target for the entire game was Fevola why should the Hawthorn players not contest the ball if they could. Should they have thought, "Oh the ball is going to Fevola, I won't bother spoiling, chasing or tackling."

People need to relize that this was a competitive sport, or did you all expect England to let Bradman get the 4 runs he needed in his last game to average 100. Or did you expect New Zealand to drop Shane Warne when he was on 99 so that he could get his 100? What about when Ponting got out for 196?

Did you expect in the 1500m at the Olympic swimming that the other swimmers would let Grant Hackett win the Gold to break the records?

Fev had his chances through the year. Maybe Carlton should have started trying to spoon feed him goals in round 1 to make sure he didn't miss out. Maybe he should have kicked one of the shots he had earlier in the game?

Honestly, go look at yourselves in the mirror. There's not a single sport in the world where that rubbish would be considered good sportsmanship.

:thumbsdown:

What we are claiming is that Hawthorn's coach deliberately went out of his way to stop him getting his 100th goal during the last quarter of a 70-point blowout. That is petty and spiteful.
No, it's his job.

To compare it to the Bradman situation, imagine if Bradman's last innings had been during the last over of the fifth day of a test ending in a draw, and the bowler deliberately pitched his deliveries a foot outside off stump so he wouldn't have a chance to play at them. Had that happened, it would have been called poor sportsmanship -and that is exactly what Clarkson is guilty of here.

Better that than saying "the first ball you face will be full pitch a foot outside off-stump, and none of our fielders are going to stop the ball getting to the boundary. In fact they mught even give it a little kick to help it on its way if its not going to make it."

THAT would be a disgrace.

If you want a milestone you have to bloody earn it.

99 is a fair effort. Congratulations Fev.:thumbsu:

Kicking 7 was also a fair effort, especially against a team that played the game as it should be played - hard at it, no charity, team first.

Trent Croad, supported by his team in the backline, did everything possible to deny Fev every goal scoring opportunity. Just as they would have with any other key forward in any other game. Make no mistake though, as tough a defender as Croad is, he'd have been the first to congratulate Fev if he had have kicked his ton. Just don't expect him to give him one out of the goodness of his heart. It doesn't happen in any other game, why would it have happened last night ?

Carlton supporters whinging about this have missed the two most important points from last night's game:

1. Fev is a gun; however, if you go to him at every opportunity you'll become far less effective as a side. You need to cultivate a multi-faceted attack and in doing so you'll deny side the opportunity to gravitate to the only option capable of hurting them.

2. You're a fair way off the mark yet.

I can't blame Blues fans or Fev & Ratten for being disappointed. They were all looking forward to something to celebrate ... anything to celebrate. However, it's a team game first and foremost and you win and lose as a team. You earn goals and concede goals as a team. You leave your man and go to another defender, when you know the ball is going there, to help out because it's a team game. You celebrate individual milestones and achievements as a team. If you don't do these things as a team, it's not a team.

Upon reflection, Blues fans will realise that running on to the field and celebrating an individual in a team that just got flogged, and didn't make the finals, compounding years of disappointment, would have been a fairly hollow and meaningless thing to do ... especially if the opportunity had have come about through charity.

As a Hawk fan, I was cheering for Fev in the last quarter. I really really really wanted him to kick his 100th. At the same time I didn't want to see a Hawk defender give a single inch. I would have been thrilled if Fev had earnt his ton. He put on a great individual display, was the team's single focus for a half of football (rightly or wrongly), and therefore became the defence's single focus too. He also just failed to kick 100 in a season.

At the end of the day, whether he kick his ton or not, Blues' season is finished. And in a team sport, that's the only thing that matters right now.

History has shown that Carlton are advocates for cheating and manipulating games so they can get their desireable outcome.

But when it was put to another team to do the same thing at no real cost to that team, Hawthorn showed what you would hope the 14 other clubs would do.

I actually understand your frustration Carlton supporters. But AFL is a hard and competitive game and Hawthorn not making it difficult to Fev would have devalued the milestone.

I was very pleased he got stranded on 99. Fantastic outcome. I hate Carlton and anyone associated with the club.

I must admit I'm loving all this whinging from Carlton - even the bloody coach.

A club that tried to kill several others, cheated repeatedly, has a president that proudly claims "F*** the rest" . . . I could go on.

It's really very funny.

To put a loose man in defence (Roughie) when your over 10 goals up was a disgrace.

No one puts a loose man in defense when your 10 goal up, they clearly did it to STOP Fev from getting the ton.

If Fev had kicked his 100th that match would have gone down in the history books, every player would have been asked for decades to come to retell the story.

But no, you shut down fevola and turned the game into ofcourse a memorable game, but not one that people will remember for the rest of their lives.

What?

AFL supporters have lost the plot.

Imagine McGrath bowling a half volley to Lara to gift him a 100 runs in a game even though Aussie's are winning.
- firstly, this is just not cricket so you're comparing apples to oranges
- Secondly, I've seen a Pakistani player have a shy at the stumps and miss on purpose so Greg Chappell could get his 7000th test run.

It is very funny about all the whinging. Fevola was NOT GOOD ENOUGH to get the 100. Franklin normally has more than one defender on him at a time and he could do it. Fevola was just not good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fevola 99 Merged Threads - The whinges, the hate, the commiserations and congratulations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back