Preview Finals Week 1: Collingwood v Melbourne, Thursday 7 September, MCG, 7.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Lippa and Frampton are indeed the boys who go out this week, then we get to replace five players who didn't offer a heck of a lot on the King's BD:

Lipinski
Reef
Harrison
Johnson
Frampton

for

Elliott
JDG
Sidebottom
McStay
Howe

Those are some pretty handy upgrades all over the park.

No Naicos hurts a lot, but both Daicos boys were well down last time we played.

Lipinski kicked two goals and had a direct assist to Bobby for a third. I agree he looked a bit out of place at times as primarily a forward, but it’s wrong to say he didn’t offer a heck of a lot on the day. I also think it was his first game back after shoulder injury? Happy to be corrected…

Ill be shocked if the three outs aren't: frampton, mcrae , ginni

For all the reasons one may want to leave out whe or lippa, our gameplan in a nutshell is to outnumber at contest. they both get to so many.
I can't believe people think Ginni would be omitted coming off one of his best games.

I absolutely agree it was one of his best games and i absolutely think he will be omitted
sub if he is lucky
and im a big fan of his
So he plays one of his best games. The coach gives him the MVP votes for that game. The players have been talking all week about the energy he brings ... and you think he'll be omitted ?

So he plays one of his best games. The coach gives him the MVP votes for that game. The players have been talking all week about the energy he brings ... and you think he'll be omitted ?
Yes I do
Our forward line is very efficient with or without him
Its not where the game will be won or lost

We need numbers at contest, pace, stamina to make contests, and tackling to win.
If we can carry a forward who doesnt have these qualities, its much of a much if its AJ or Ginni. Both are awesome players , btoh are up there with my favs, and the reality is we wont take either of them into the finals. Ginni will be a sub at best, and if no more injuries, out when ND is back

I can't believe people think Ginni would be omitted coming off one of his best games.

I think he retains his spot but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he was demoted to sub or even left out. Solely because he wasn't in our best team virtually all year and we've got 3 players coming back in.

Picked a good game to have a career best night in though!

I still feel like that backline is our best option going forward. The freedom Frampton provides Moore to attack the footy in the air and cut off opposition attacks can't be understated. I feel that Darcy has always played his best when he has another true KPD riding shotgun to him (no disrespect to Murphy or Howe), and Frampton back on the main KPF allows Darcy to plays his natural game.

That being said, I can see a position for Howe in the side. His ability to impact at both ends of the ground could be pivotal in a finals series, and his athleticism, leadership and kicking ability around the ground would also be a handy asset in a big game if we ever decided to go that way.

Alternatively, if those that feel like one of DC/Cox needs to be dropped, having Howe in the side opens the option of moving Frampton into the relief ruck role and Howe goes in defense for that period, allowing us to keep our forward structure with McStay/Mihocek etc.
I would be very surprised if Frampton is not one of the three omissions. In fact, shocked and perplexed.

I think he retains his spot but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he was demoted to sub or even left out. Solely because he wasn't in our best team virtually all year and we've got 3 players coming back in.

Picked a good game to have a career best night in though!
I can't recall a player being dropped after being named the BOG the week before. I can't see any reason why he would be the player chosen to be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and what will you say on here if he is?
I would say it's unprecedented that a player who had their best game (BOG according to the coach) the week prior being dropped for a final. I would suggest there would be a total meltdown on BF if he was dropped. So I would think I wouldn't be the only one in total shock if he was dropped. That's what I would say 😉

I would say it's unprecedented that a player who had their best game (BOG according to the coach) the week prior being dropped for a final. I would suggest there would be a total meltdown on BF if he was dropped. So I would think I wouldn't be the only one in total shock if he was dropped. That's what I would say 😉
yes i agree. there is likely to be a total meltdown on here when it happens !

if he is picked, i hope he dominates. would be great to see him show his tricks in a final!

Ill be shocked if the three outs aren't: frampton, mcrae , ginni

For all the reasons one may want to leave out whe or lippa, our gameplan in a nutshell is to outnumber at contest. they both get to so many.
Getting to the contest is one thing, but having the physicality of a wet lettuce leaf is another.

For me, the biggest issue has to be whether we play two rucks or just one.

Much thinking has me leading to playing just one - and I suspect that means Cameron. I don't like it because Gawn will probably dominate and give us a lesson. Cox for me would be a better choice but he doesn't get enough of the ball.

If only we could fuse the two into one ruckman who is good at taps and can compete around the ground. Or ... I won't say it.

But this is the main choice I reckon. If Cox goes out, it helps with more space for the smalls, be that Lippa, WHE or Ginnivan.

Demons dominated the Pies midfield and hammered the Pies defenders... Pies were lucky they missed so many shots, albeit 5-6 of those misses would have been likely goals. Hence the Pies losing by 4 points is luck based... because the deficit would have been around 40 points if 5-6 of those misses converted.

What I noticed, and its obvious, was that Melbourne threw more players during kick-outs at the contest, it led to Melbourne dumping the ball back into their forward 50 and Pies defenders were sweating all second half. It wasnt until Melbourne got tired that Pies started to get through.... but was a few minutes too late.

The same strategy will be applied and I expect Melbourne to also explore copying Carlton, Brisbane tactics of quick disposal out of their defensive 50 by having a quick ball carrier outside the contested zone ready to hammer it out to an open forward 50 where Pies defenders are chasing their men out of the centre area and one of the midfielders sneaks into the inside and gets easy looks... unopposed.

Pies biggest weakness for 4 years now, even since 2018 is the rebound of their opposition who gets through the Pies attack and last line of defense.... which is high up at the midfield towards the inside forward 50. Very Exploitable... unless its a McCrae strategy to make the opposition rely on that tactic.

Demons dominated the Pies midfield and hammered the Pies defenders... Pies were lucky they missed so many shots, albeit 5-6 of those misses would have been likely goals. Hence the Pies losing by 4 points is luck based... because the deficit would have been around 40 points if 5-6 of those misses converted.
Hill kicked the ball to Gawn in the goalsquare.

Hill snicked the post on the way through with a snap from the pocket.

Ball bounced away from Mihocek in the goalsquare.

Reef had the ball in the goalsquare and managed to miss the ball completely with his kick.

There you go, there’s our four goals back.

Lipinski kicked two goals and had a direct assist to Bobby for a third. I agree he looked a bit out of place at times as primarily a forward, but it’s wrong to say he didn’t offer a heck of a lot on the day. I also think it was his first game back after shoulder injury? Happy to be corrected…
He did have a handful of good moments, but iirc they were offset by a handful of pretty poor moments too. Mostly ball handling and decision issues.

Not blaming him, it was indeed his first gig after the shoulder layoff. But I think there's room for improvement in the role he played, whether that be Ginnivan coming in, or a cleaner Lippa himself with a few months of footy under his belt.

Having that haircut isn't ideal, I wouldn't have thought.
200.gif

For me, the biggest issue has to be whether we play two rucks or just one.

Much thinking has me leading to playing just one - and I suspect that means Cameron. I don't like it because Gawn will probably dominate and give us a lesson. Cox for me would be a better choice but he doesn't get enough of the ball.

If only we could fuse the two into one ruckman who is good at taps and can compete around the ground. Or ... I won't say it.

But this is the main choice I reckon. If Cox goes out, it helps with more space for the smalls, be that Lippa, WHE or Ginnivan.
Just have the balls to leave Lippa out and problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back