Preview Finals Week 1: Collingwood v Melbourne, Thursday 7 September, MCG, 7.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

No chance, his desperation and speed is critical. Lipinski closest to make way for Daicos I think. Next two closest are Cameron and Gini I think just purely on balance if you want to throw things around. WHE is a lock through to the end of finals.

We've got 2 defenders in Moore and Murphy returning. I don't see too many defenders among the outs you're suggesting.

Are you serious mate? Big tanks on both of them. Very important in finals games.
No chance of them being dropped.
Rather drop either one of Cameron or Lipinski. Or Frampton
frampton will already be out to make way for Moore and / or Murphy.. Mcrae will be out so selectors need to find a spac for Beau ( or not !)

During the Essendon game, we didn’t kick the ball down the line unless we had to. I felt we always kept looking for those short kicks. I think that’s massive for us going forward to ensure we don’t play into Gawn or May’s hands.

I also noticed we kicked into the forward pocket when entering with a high ball. This was probably to ensure the ball didn’t exit our F50 easily.

Thumped is taking it too far. I don't think it's possible to be thumped and only lose by 4 points.

We were outplayed, sure. We weren't dominated. We were up 9 after Q1, up 8 after Q2 (only down two scoring shots at that point) then down 6 after Q3 and lost by 4. Overall we were in front for 60 mins, Dees in front for 50.

We won centre clearances (3), uncontested ball (21), lost stoppage clearances (7) contested ball (19) and inside 50s (10).
That is the stat we need to be on top of next week.

It's pretty evident that most blokes in here, and some assorted others, are only prepared to nominate at best a couple of players as outs. To those of the former persuasion, you need to grow a set. Let's hope selectors are more ruthless in their thinking and make some bold yet astute decisions regarding the team's composition. I also hope their decisions are a carbon copy of my own, given I'm sure my appraisal of the team's needs and players' form is a good as that of the selectors. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty evident that most blokes in here, and some assorted others, are only prepared to nominate at best a couple of players as outs. To those of the former persuasion, you need to grow a set. Let's hope selectors are more ruthless in their thinking and make some bold yet astute decisions regarding the team's composition. I also hope their decisions are a carbon copy of my own, given I'm sure my appraisal of the team's needs and players' form is a good as that of the selectors. ;)
To be fair to our board. There have been a few brave souls who've made ballsy selection calls. Gotta admire the cahoonas on the posters who named Sidebottom, Noble, Adams, Howe or McStay as outs.

Some stats for the season below. If people are worried about our clearances based only on numbers, then Power are in even more trouble.

The thing to notice about most stats in the AFL is how even they are. Over the whole season many of these differences don't mean much, so simply looking at totals without context isn't very useful. We scored 48 less points than the Lions over the season, we're essentially equivalent offensively.

By the way interesting to note that Hawks had the least centre clearances in the comp.

CC: centre clearances
SC: stoppage clearances
TeamPFPACCSC

COL

BRI

POR

MEL

Edit: obviously would be better if these were differential stats but I was too lazy. I was more making a post against using simple rankings though.
Sorry to be blunt, but I don’t think this tells us anything. Unfortunately the clearance numbers are meaningless without differentials and the points for and against from clearance would have also added a lot as opposed to overall points for and against.

Lipinski in my opinion an out.
Frampton too.
Go in with Cameron and Cox to make Gawns day harder.
Into the team, I dunno.. perhaps Krueger deserves a shot. Murphy and McReery ideal.
One more time than you thought would happen
Unless we see a big about face and dump Cameron the last change is almost certainly coming from the Markov/ Lipinski/ WHE triumvirate. We’re getting two defenders back and at this stage only likely to lose Frampton. Both Markov and WHE were used down back v Essendon. I’d drop Cameron myself and shift WHE forward, but there’s scope for it to go a number of ways.

Unless we see a big about face and dump Cameron the last change is almost certainly coming from the Markov/ Lipinski/ WHE triumvirate. We’re getting two defenders back and at this stage only likely to lose Frampton. Both Markov and WHE were used down back v Essendon. I’d drop Cameron myself and shift WHE forward, but there’s scope for it to go a number of ways.
Yeah I wouldn't drop our Ruckman unless we were trying to lose.

You mean the 2nd ruck that’s played like a busted arse the past 6 weeks? Yeah that’s deciding it for sure 🤪

None of these discussions are consequential internally or externally because they’re all shuffling deck chairs.

A few concerns playing Cameron - he isn't a first ruck, Gawn will maul him if he tries to out body him, his form of late has been a shadow of who he was however in saying this seems the coach has a preference of going in with two rucks.

I have Macrae and Frampton as outs, Markov as sub and although I would have WHE before Lipinski, Lipinski wasn't that bad against Essendon but it was Essendon.

Sidebottom was also below par but I think in a final, you can't leave him out.

Kreuger as a bit of x factor and ruck support in for me. He'd be a more reliable and regular goal kicker than either of our rucks. But I don't care so much that I would disagree with selectors either retaining or omitting Cameron.

Kreuger as a bit of x factor and ruck support in for me. He'd be a more reliable and regular goal kicker than either of our rucks. But I don't care so much that I would disagree with selectors either retaining or omitting Cameron.
Kreuger? A bloke that has barely played even in the VFL. You must be taking the piss.
This isn't 2022, we aren't as desperate and have depth meaning don't have to play guys like Kreuger.

Kreuger? A bloke that has barely played even in the VFL. You must be taking the piss.
This isn't 2022, we aren't as desperate and have depth meaning don't have to play guys like Kreuger.
Counting VFL only he’s played 13 out of 14 since returning from his shoulder surgery…

You watched his VFL form of late or are you just rage-tossing as usual?

I don't think we'll roll the dice on him in the first final (barring a late injury to a tall) but cool down, he is the depth you're referring to.

You watched his VFL form of late or are you just rage-tossing as usual?

I don't think we'll role the dice on him in the first final (barring a late injury to a tall) but cool down, he is the depth you're referring to.
It’s a mix of the latter and no knowledge of what’s happening at VFL level! I’m on board with your POV and would go so far as to say it’s 100-1 we make 4 changes in the first week of finals, but I’d 100% back him in to outperform Cameron if we turned to him. Cameron couldn’t catch a cold at the moment…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back