First Elimination Final - West Coast vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

The point is that the MCG is a better venue for sides playing against Geelong than KP.

How about West Coast's formline at Subi against travelling clubs?

I'd argue that North tried their best in the GWS game, but just simply came up short of what was required.

You are over-simplifying things. GWS played appallingly the week before and got thrashed by Saints, they played a much better standard of footy and were a lot more competitive, we could have beat them by more, we got up to 40 odd points in front before we had to look at managing some players through the remainder of the game. It is hard to absolutely thrash a side that is having a red hot crack. They didn't have a red hot crack the first time we played them and beat them by 129 points. I assume they were very motivated to not let that happen a second time.

If anything the weather may help North as the eagles look to be going in to tall. North should have more midfield rotations.

Indeed.

Weather acclimatisation virtually diminishes after a month and North have played the majority of their 2012 football on a fast, dry track under a roof.

Really keen for this match. Tipping an eventual comfortable win for the Eagles, but keen to see where we're at and how long we can match it with them.

North need big games from Ziebell, Petrie and their outside runners.

West Coast will probably concnetrate on their inside ball winners giving their outside runners first go.

Indeed.

Weather acclimatisation virtually diminishes after a month and North have played the majority of their 2012 football on a fast, dry track under a roof.

Perth is a lot warmer in general than Melbourne, they would be more accustom to playing in warmer conditions than we would. However, I don't think the weather is in the oppressive category, which would be the area they have a big advantage in.

Why? This rationale confuses me.

I certainly won't be using the weather as an excuse.

How is it confusing that a team from Perth will adjust better to warmer conditions than a team from Melbourne will? You're kidding if you think playing footy in temps 15 degrees more than you're used to won't have some effect.

Good on ya, hopefully your coach won't after the game either.

Why? This rationale confuses me.

I certainly won't be using the weather as an excuse.
Finals footy is all about pressure. Fatigue will be a factor. Players suffer more from fatigue in warm conditions. North Melbourne's players are probably less acclimatised to warm weather.

Thought that would have been pretty straight-forward.

*shrug*

I cant see North getting close, absolutely dismantled by the pressure of Fremantle 2 weeks ago.

West Coast will bring that today and bring the uncontested gameplan unstuck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals footy is all about pressure. Fatigue will be a factor. Players suffer more from fatigue in warm conditions. North Melbourne's players are probably less acclimatised to warm weather.

Thought that would have been pretty straight-forward.

*shrug*

If your rationale bears any truth then by extension West Coast will need to acclimatise to dry, fast, windless conditions.

I cant see North getting close, absolutely dismantled by the pressure of Fremantle 2 weeks ago.

West Coast will bring that today and bring the uncontested gameplan unstuck.

Fremantle dismantled Eagles in pretty much the same fashion. I don't think many clubs are accustom to playing with 20 players around the ball, hard to find some space in those conditions. I think a team like Swans is probably more suited to handle that kind of footy.

I think Freo will surprise a lot of clubs first time they play like that with that kind of intensity, but clubs will learn a lot of lessons after that.

Fremantle dismantled Eagles in pretty much the same fashion. I don't think many clubs are accustom to playing with 20 players around the ball, hard to find some space in those conditions. I think a team like Swans is probably more suited to that kind of footy.

West Coast do something very similar, especially in their forward half, it's just that Fremantle do it better and are more organised behind the ball.

Excited to see us have a crack. Hopefully Goldstein can limit the influence that Cox and Nic Nat have on the game.

Well that explains why Lynch came in...

Hard to gauge how big an out Kennedy is, he hasn't fired a shot since returning, clearly rusty/still injured.

Dick instead of Hams would have been a curveball...oh well...

West Coast do something very similar, especially in their forward half, it's just that Fremantle do it better and are more organised behind the ball.

It all comes down to the pressure, the tackling and the intensity and who deals with it the best. I've said before that Eagles should be favourite at home, we need to come out firing and control the game early I feel if we are going to win, much like Freo did against the Cats.

The side that can deny the opposition playing the game on their terms will win, we managed to do that to Collingwood a few weeks ago, so I think it is within us to do it. Can we pull it off in a final is the big question.

It all comes down to the pressure, the tackling and the intensity and who deals with it the best. I've said before that Eagles should be favourite at home, we need to come out firing and control the game early I feel if we are going to win, much like Freo did against the Cats.

The side that can deny the opposition playing the game on their terms will win, we managed to do that to Collingwood a few weeks ago, so I think it is within us to do it. Can we pull it off in a final is the big question.

On a side note, it's bloody warm over here today.

Well that explains why Lynch came in...

Hard to gauge how big an out Kennedy is, he hasn't fired a shot since returning, clearly rusty/still injured.

Dick instead of Hams would have been a curveball...oh well...

Dick has been a bit stiff this year. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

First Elimination Final - West Coast vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back