First test of the aussie summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Not heard that our As were also touring Sth Africa. That is good news as our next in liners need as many chances as possible to impress for future spots in this aging side. Hearing they may tour NZ too next year.

Fairly dumb play by Handscomb exposing a fresh man in Josh Inglis to the tricky post dusk period. Looked a reckless shot, not usually associated with arguably our best player of spin after Steve Smith.
Aus A aren't touring SA, just playing a one off 4 day match against SA before the series against SA this summer

Last edited:
Didn't the young Chanderpaul start his FC career really well? He hasn't got a run because it's always pretty hard to parachute a guy into the test team from a dozen or so FC games, even if they've started like a house on fire... And then as he gained more FC experience his performance didn't warrant a test spot?

Could be totally wrong there. Looks a certainty to make his debut in the first test though.

PhatBoy could probably confirm and negate that one.

Renshaw over Warner

But Warner will score some easy runs and he'll go suck in India and England

I don't mind Inglis batting his keeping is so much better then Carey
I’d also much rather Renshaw over Warner overseas. Let’s hope the likes of Joseph and Seales can shake him up (wishful thinking) and the Saffa quicks give him a bath (possible). But even if he fails to get past 50 they’ll pick the campaigner to be bamboozled by the Indians and get snicked off by Broad. It would be good to see his test average plummet. Get into arguments every day with idiots saying you can compare modern day helmet, 2 short ball rules, massive bats with the pre mid 90s averages. Even had some cabbage say Warner was better than Greenidge and Haynes lol.

Last edited:
Not heard that our As were also touring Sth Africa. That is good news as our next in liners need as many chances as possible to impress for future spots in this aging side. Hearing they may tour NZ too next year.

Fairly dumb play by Handscomb exposing a fresh man in Josh Inglis to the tricky post dusk period. Looked a reckless shot, not usually associated with arguably our best player of spin after Steve Smith.
Just a rush of blood. I still think Handscomb will go to India.

Averages 34 across 50 FC games.
Not setting the world on fire prior to the most recent season.
West Indies domestic cricket is very hard to make runs in. For some reason they prepare bunsens. Look at Nikita Miller’s first class stats lol. Says it all.

Yes for his spin play alone.
Interesting to note that despite how well he plays spin the stats from the last BGT suggest Renshaw handled it far far better. Handscomb averaged in the mid 20's against Aswin and Jadeja while Renshaw averaged in the mid 60's against the same bowlers.

Watching both of them yesterday, Handscomb was clearly the most comfortable against spin. Renners played too much from the crease when he needed to be moving his feet more. And this Windies spin pair are no Ashwin or Jadeja. The best player against the Lankan spinners I saw was Josh Philippe. Given the way he mauled their tweakers he deserves to also go to India, but it is obvious his poor start to this season has cruelled that as he'd have played in this PM match.
Handscomb did also get out to spin in both innings, just saying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Averages 34 across 50 FC games.
Not setting the world on fire prior to the most recent season.

He also started as a 17 year old from memory and was well out of his depth for the first 2-3 seasons. Guyana didn’t say as much but it was as much about allowing him to play FC cricket alongside his dad as it was about him deserving to be there

Some of you guys are quick to s**t on Davey imo. He’s a pretty damn good batsmen in all formats. Unfortunately he’s struggled the last few years. I’d much rather a half cooked Davey over Harris, Bancroft etc

He was a very good Test batsman, although very much a home track bully. Has been a non event overseas for a long time and aside from one innings not very good since return. Now we have two elderly openers and one of them has not performed for a long time.

He also started as a 17 year old from memory and was well out of his depth for the first 2-3 seasons. Guyana didn’t say as much but it was as much about allowing him to play FC cricket alongside his dad as it was about him deserving to be there

Stories like that, poor kid was thrown in the deep end

Some of you guys are quick to s**t on Davey imo. He’s a pretty damn good batsmen in all formats. Unfortunately he’s struggled the last few years. I’d much rather a half cooked Davey over Harris, Bancroft etc
Been a good batter over the journey and has deserved to be the premier opener in Australia, but there's no denying there is a huge disparity in his performances at home (averages 60) compared to away/neutral (averages 34).

His away/neutral average is still better than the majority of his opening partner's overall batting averages so despite the above he has definitely deserved his billing as our #1 opening batter of the last decade. Whilst the calls for him to be dropped for overseas tours have intensified lately, they were already somewhat present in the middle part of this decade when his middle-of-the-road away performances still netted more runs than would have been expected from any of his potential replacements.

One further point, however, is his away average over the last 4 years is a mere 18, and that certainly should give pause to the thought that maybe it's time for the tap on the shoulder, have five tests at home, finish in Sydney in your 101st test and look at a new opener for the Indian and English series (currently Renshaw, but see final paragraph).

I posted elsewhere, but despite what history tells us - particularly recent history - I have a feeling Warner will get amongst the runs in England in 2023. I totally acknowledge I have nothing of substance to back up that feeling.

It's a tricky one. Pucovski was banging the door down but was gunning for a vacant (or at least, not a solidified) spot and his concussion problems paved the way for Khawaja to come back in at the top of the order. Renshaw is on a heater but he is still making up for some underwhelming years for Queensland after his first stint in the test team, so we don't know yet whether this is him setting a new standard.

Townsend, who recently finished up as The West Australian’s Chief Cricket writer after 27 years at the newspaper, is hearing that there haven’t even been 1000 tickets sold in the pre-sale to the Optus Stadium Test.

Well ****

I ****in' love the Perth Test. Be my fave Test of the Summer. Starting it on a Wednesday is a bit pants though. Should've started last Thursday, but oh noes, then we couldn't have had that important 3 game ODI series. 🤦‍♂️

Geez those old 5 game Test series against the W.Indies used to be great. Wish we could get back to that

He was a very good Test batsman, although very much a home track bully. Has been a non event overseas for a long time and aside from one innings not very good since return. Now we have two elderly openers and one of them has not performed for a long time.

Think he was a better white ball player in his prime. Played well in Bangladesh, the UAE and South Africa but seemed to struggle everywhere else. Travis Head makes him look like Michael Clarke though.

Been a good batter over the journey and has deserved to be the premier opener in Australia, but there's no denying there is a huge disparity in his performances at home (averages 60) compared to away/neutral (averages 34).

His away/neutral average is still better than the majority of his opening partner's overall batting averages so despite the above he has definitely deserved his billing as our #1 opening batter of the last decade. Whilst the calls for him to be dropped for overseas tours have intensified lately, they were already somewhat present in the middle part of this decade when his middle-of-the-road away performances still netted more runs than would have been expected from any of his potential replacements.

One further point, however, is his away average over the last 4 years is a mere 18, and that certainly should give pause to the thought that maybe it's time for the tap on the shoulder, have five tests at home, finish in Sydney in your 101st test and look at a new opener for the Indian and English series (currently Renshaw, but see final paragraph).

I posted elsewhere, but despite what history tells us - particularly recent history - I have a feeling Warner will get amongst the runs in England in 2023. I totally acknowledge I have nothing of substance to back up that feeling.

It's a tricky one. Pucovski was banging the door down but was gunning for a vacant (or at least, not a solidified) spot and his concussion problems paved the way for Khawaja to come back in at the top of the order. Renshaw is on a heater but he is still making up for some underwhelming years for Queensland after his first stint in the test team, so we don't know yet whether this is him setting a new standard.

Yeah it's tricky now. If they wanted a new opener really needed to bring them in this summer, rather than trying for a new opener in England and India. So they will stick with Warner.

What concerns me is Usman is 35, Warner is 36 and Smith is 33. I see we have a number 3 and a number 5/6 for the long term and nothing else (Head is not long term IMO).

Remove this Banner Ad

First test of the aussie summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back