Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This board has a meltdown over an imperfect science producing an imperfect result.

Some have a pet theory that its the recruitment teams fault and try to find evidence to confirm (ation bias) their theory, others have other theories and try to find evidence to confirm that.

Its not the first imperfect result in recruitment and it won't be the last. There'll be more. Deal with it.

Look, I’m willing to cut the recruitment team more slack than most on here but this pick was a monumental fail.
On top other questionable choices it has held back the rebuild.

It might be possible to rectify but it will take a couple of very strong trade/draft periods and I have no faith they will can do it.

Well, I've posted a few and I think you've called me a cheerleader across the journey.

I think you doggedly pursue your opinions when they're negative, and you sometimes mention in passing things you feel positive about. Which is completely your right, but I think it's fair enough that folks point out your negativity.

Anyway, most of what you've said here is fair enough. I just think people would read your views as being as extreme as those you criticise.
Mostyn has, Kristof and Mego Red, not so much ;) Hell you even started a negative thread 👏

Notice I haven’t referred to this version as a cheerleader?

As for what you say about doggedly pursuing my negative opinions, I doubt I’d have to if I wasn’t combatting cheerleaders ;) They are hardly going to argue with anything positive I have to say so it gets lost.

I do admit I go hard at posters who are only positive, because you’ve got to have your own opinions, just not opinions that align with the club. If we were winners I could understand it perhaps.

Anyway, enough about me

Look, I’m willing to cut the recruitment team more slack than most on here but this pick was a monumental fail.
On top other questionable choices it has held back the rebuild.

It might be possible to rectify but it will take a couple of very strong trade/draft periods and I have no faith they will can do it.
Would Dylan Stephens have made a whole lot of difference to our rebuild going forward? Hasn't exactly set the AFL World alight yet?

Would Dylan Stephens have made a whole lot of difference to our rebuild going forward? Hasn't exactly set the AFL World alight yet?
Mostyn you see this is what I mean. bang straight into defence of the club.

Bicks this us such a dumb post when you know Young and Serong were options and will be long term serious players. The less dud picks means the less top picks you need but you know that.

a shame of sorts whenever this happens, but everyone has to do the right thing by themselves. at the end of the day everyone is taking punts on how a 17/18 year old kid will adapt to footy. sounds like he has a fair bit to offer outside of football as well so thats fair enough. of course i'd prefer him to be an aa centre half back with a 10 year contract but shit happens

Mostyn you see this is what I mean. bang straight into defence of the club.

Bicks this us such a dumb post when you know Young and Serong were options and will be long term serious players. The less dud picks means the less top picks you need but you know that.
Well would stephens of made any difference hasnt set the world on fire you,re so quick to deflect as you were when i called you out on your childish comment

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m certain he’ll be on a list in 2025.

It’s easy to ‘lose motivation’ when a cool quarter of a mill drops into your account every year for doing sfa and life is easy as f.

Not sure how much he’ll pull in hosting circle jerk mindfulness classes on the beach with a bunch unemployed hippies. Unless old mate Amon employs him at CM the money will run out pretty fast. Reckon he’ll find his passion pretty quickly when it’s a choice between footy and asking bogans if they want to upsize their meal.

Well would stephens of made any difference hasnt set the world on fire you,re so quick to deflect as you were when i called you out on your childish comment

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Irrelevant. It's pick 4 for Fish and Pedlar. If we wanted Stephens we wouldn't have done the pick swap. A better argument is, would Serong have made a difference at 6.

(Yes)

I don’t want Stephens but Serong would help, then theres Will day or De koning. And A half a dozen others who would be best 22.

Really we could have traded down again and gotten a couple good players.

This isn’t the only draft mistake, just the most obvious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Irrelevant. It's pick 4 for Fish and Pedlar. If we wanted Stephens we wouldn't have done the pick swap. A better argument is, would Serong have made a difference at 6.

(Yes)
So you think if McAsey had been taken b4 we wouldn't have taken Stephens if the Swans didn't? I disagree.

There’s a lot of assumptions made in your post:
- I never said he had mental health issues from the start. I don’t know exactly when it had occurred. I’m merely saying mental illness is highly probable sometime between his drafting till now, which is out of our recruitment team’s hands.

- he didn’t have the athleticism? Did anyone say this out loud when he initially joined us?

- he’s not good enough to get an AFL gig, and so that’s what’s caused his mental illness? Can’t there be other life stresses that we may not be privy to?

- he’s using the “walking away” card in advance because he knows he will be delisted next year..? Wouldn’t that really stuff up his chances to be picked by another club in the future?

Anyway, I don’t want to waste anymore time trying to change your thought patterns. Think what you will and be merry.
The irony of pointing out assumptions in others posts and then saying "I’m merely saying mental illness is highly probable sometime between his drafting till now"

Is there a single piece of actual hard evidence that this has anything to do with mental health? Its comical the nonsense bandied about in this thread by people assuming they know what is going on in the kids head, when it is very clear that nobody does on this thread. It may be mental health related, it may not, the only certainty is that arguing that fact is pointless.

The kid wasn't very good, he is gone now. Trying to invent reasons for it is tacky and disrespectful to the lad.

Questioning the recruiting strategy and recruiting personnel at the club is natural when we have had a few years of the worst list the club has seen, possibly the AFL has seen, and this is after a 25 year history of mediocrity being celebrated and a review that left the recruiting team in place.

It was said earlier - FM is not the first high draft pick to fizzle, and wont be the last. The hyperbole in this thread is embarrassing and it is no wonder "Adelaide" has the rep it may do if this is any indication of how supporters actually think.

I haven't seen to much of that energy channelled into ways the club should be improving this process so we can stop seemingly repeating past mistakes, over, and over, and over again...

So you think if McAsey had been taken b4 we wouldn't have taken Stephens if the Swans didn't? I disagree.
Who cares ? The fact we wanted Stephens over Serong makes it worse .

We wanted 2 of worst players taken in top 20 of 2019, why?

I don’t want Stephens but Serong would help, then theres Will day or De koning. And A half a dozen others who would be best 22.

Really we could have traded down again and gotten a couple good players.

This isn’t the only draft mistake, just the most obvious
My feel is we'd have taken Stephens if we didn't want Talia's replacement, and I contend that if McAsey was taken before our pick our target would then have been Stephens with that pick. So did Twomey who didn't mention Serong as a likely for us. Personally I'd have taken Lachie Ash.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
So you’re saying Hamish would have chosen 2 players inferior to Serong? Is this an attempted criticism of Hamish without saying the words?
I mean let's be honest, right now that pick swap is on thin ice anyway. Not doubting Pedlars talent, but his lack of physical resilience was known and we are 3 years in on an unproductive result to date. I hope Luke comes on, but I bet Hamish hopes more.

I mean let's be honest, right now that pick swap is on thin ice anyway. Not doubting Pedlars talent, but his lack of physical resilience was known and we are 3 years in on an unproductive result to date. I hope Luke comes on, but I bet Hamish hopes more.
Apparently impressing on the track at the moment, according to a couple on here

Pre-season form can be grain of salt stuff though, hopefully it translates to AFL fitness and form for Peds

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Back