Footballers who were disloyal and chased the almighty dollar

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate what you said about Buckley is a lie. James Cook sent all clubs a letter not Bucks. Buckley said he would be happy to play for whatever club drafted him.

O'Bree out of contract Brisbane wanted to keep him. Contract on the table from Brisbane Pies topped it.

Wanganeen received an absolute fortune from Power to go home.

My very very very reliable "thources" tell me O'Bree always wanted to go to the Pies, before Brisvega$ recruited him.

No It doesn't, I'm just trying to figure out why he chose Carlton over every other Melbourne club. It was that Carlton offered more. I would have done the same.

P.S. I'm just trying to justify why Judd should be in this thread. He left the Eagles and openly sold himself in front of the media.

Perhaps Carlton offered more than Collingwood. I bet if Collingwood had offered the same money as Carlton, he would have been a Magpie. I also doubt that Judd cared about what the trade would have been for the eagles. He just wanted to get out of the club.

Judd had many reasons for leaving the Eagles & money would not have been the main reason. Drug culture, homesickness were other reasons for leaving. Do you really think that the eagles could not offer what carlton could ? Do you really belive Collingwood couldn't make room in thier salary cap to get Judd ?
Judd was reported by the media to want the eagles to get a decent deal in trades. Collingwood could not offer enough so that helped to count them out.
Carlton had better facilities & future than melbourne so that counted them out.
Money of course was part of his decision to select Carlton but don't be naive to think Collingwood can't match Carltons offer.

Pitura - yesssss!!! you pipped me at the post..

No mention of Geoff Raines & Mike Richardson yet so far tho I haven't gone past your post.

David Cloke during the richmond Collingwood pinch each others players war in the 80's
Ian Stewart from Stkilda to Richmond in the 70's

Brereton did not leave for money, he left because the club showed him no respect. Admin was a shambles at that point in time.
They werent going to pay him any more than a 1st year player!

And given how he played after leaving I don't blame them. He obviously had no intention of doing anything more than taking a well paid holiday at that stage of his career.

While I wouldn't necessarily say he was disloyal to the hawks, he definitely went chasing the almighty dollar.

I agree with Roy Keane - if you expect loyalty you have to give it. Clubs treat players like pieces of meat. They trade them if they don't want them, or they cut them. Every year someone gets betrayed by the club they played for and de-listed despite not wanting to be[/B]. All this after the club screaming about loyalty and mateship and 'team'. So, what do you expect?

Kennedy for example

Nathan Buckley
Scott Thompson
Tyson Stenglein
Daniel Chick
Gavin Wanganeen
Fraser Gehrig
Aaron Hamill
Scott Camporeale
Shane O'bree

Daniel Chick returned to WA because his brother died and his family needed him to be closer

Scott Camporeale.

The scumbag was sitting in his car in the carpark at PP with an Essendon jumper on trade day.

Being thrown into the PSD and finishing up at a club that finished equal on points with the Blues in 2006 and never made the eight is all he deserved.

We might as throw Croad and Ottens into the mix if you want criticise Judd for moving home.

At least the WCE have the honourable Josh Kennedy who didn't want a bar of their rabble. ;) :eek: :cool:

You can't call someone a mercenary if they move back home after playing good footy and giving them good service like Wanganeen, Judd and Stevens.

You're a merc if you move sideways to another club in the same state or move to another state for dollars like Hamill, Everitt, Akermanis, Nathan Brown, Camporeale and O'Reilly.

Of current players:
1. Judd
2. Nathan Brown
3. Everitt

But the worst of all (as he has done it as both player AND contracted coach) - Terry Wallace. Just a lousy human.

We might as throw Croad and Ottens into the mix if you want criticise Judd for moving home.

Wrong player, mate. Croad was traded by Hawthorn to Fremantle because Hawthorn wanted the no. 1 pick in the 2001 national draft and Croad had the highest currency with Fremantle. The deal that Hawthorn struck with Fremantle was Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin for picks 1, 20 and 36. McPharlin was homesick and wanted to go back to Perth. Croad was traded by the club because they felt he was expendable (at the time, he was an athletic but very dumb key position footballer) and Fremantle saw McPharlin and Croad as their bookends. Croad is of Kiwi origin who, as far as I know, grew up in Victoria. He was a die-hard Hawthorn supporter and he very reluctantly agreed to the trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spare me your sermon, Benedickt :rolleyes:

Ah, the man(?) who knows his always right is wrong again. Once again if you don't agree you don't matter, are the voices getting louder.
I think you maybe referring to Benedict Arnold., or is it some type of witty play on words?:thumbsdown:
Chewy= SAD.

Matthew Allen left Carlton for Essendon.
He came somewhere like third in the Brownlow & his greedy manager Alisson decided he was worth a lot more after Allens great year & unfortunately Allen got sucked in by Allisson.

Judd was reported by the media to want the eagles to get a decent deal in trades. Collingwood could not offer enough so that helped to count them out.
Carlton had better facilities & future than melbourne so that counted them out.
Money of course was part of his decision to select Carlton but don't be naive to think Collingwood can't match Carltons offer.

'Reported by the media.':rolleyes:

If giving the Eagles a strong bargaining position was a priority, Judd would not have demanded to be traded to one club only, particularly one with a lot of salary cap space and pick #2 in the PSD.

Judd chose Carlton (worst record over the last 5 years, play home games at TD, poor facilities etc.) over Melbourne (the team he supported as a kid who could really use a big name player to boost their profile), Collingwood (who made the last 4 in 2007 and have the best facilities/draw in Victoria) and Essendon (the second half of the 'big 2' in Victoria').

It's naive to think that money was not the deciding factor.

BTW, Collingwood had a poor first round draft pick in '07 anyway, and would be more hesitant to give up players given they actually went somewhere that season.

'Reported by the media.':rolleyes:

If giving the Eagles a strong bargaining position was a priority, Judd would not have demanded to be traded to one club only, particularly one with a lot of salary cap space and pick #2 in the PSD.

Judd chose Carlton (worst record over the last 5 years, play home games at TD, poor facilities etc.) over Melbourne (the team he supported as a kid who could really use a big name player to boost their profile), Collingwood (who made the last 4 in 2007 and have the best facilities/draw in Victoria) and Essendon (the second half of the 'big 2' in Victoria').

It's naive to think that money was not the deciding factor.

BTW, Collingwood had a poor first round draft pick in '07 anyway, and would be more hesitant to give up players given they actually went somewhere that season.

Carlton had pick 1 & 3. The Eagles wanted both but carlton refused & would let the Judd deal fail to keep the #1 pick.
Judd wanted the Eagles to get something decent from the draft. Only Carlton & Richmond were in the position to give enough.
If Judd was going to Carlton no matter what then Carlton would have either kept pick #3 or kept Kennedy.
You make the whole thing sound as though it was simple.
It was a very complicated situation & both Carlton & the eagles did Ok out of it.
Judd wanted to leave the Eagles because he was sick of the culture & was homesick & opportunities in Melbourne were better for him after football. The Eagles would have had the money to match what carlton are paying Judd so how can you say he ONLY left for money.
If money was the only reason I am sure Collingwood would have offered as much or more than Carlton.

Colbert... The prick. IMO worse than the Judd situation. Much worse.

and I thought we were the cash strapped North Melbourne - well you learn something new every day.:rolleyes:

$$$$$ had nothing to do with Colby leaving sleepy hollow for a start, because if it was he wouldn't have gone to North cos at that time there were a few blokes, one who wore No 18, at North who were doing nicely thank you.. Back then Carlton or Essendon would have been the obvious choice.

[QUOTE

You're a merc if you move sideways to another club in the same state or move to another state for dollars like Hamill, Everitt, Akermanis, Nathan Brown, Camporeale and O'Reilly.[/QUOTE]

what are you on mate.. yeah, your correct about the go home factor but have you also ever heard of internal dissagreements? Aka was basically kicked out of Bris and you can blame your cheating ex pres for the way he treated hamill for him leaving! even then the club still had the right to trade them wherever for the best deal..carlton got 3rd pick (livingston)

in u.s.a sport free agency means they pick and choose to highest bidder.. thats why restricted free agency is as far as we should go here..

Remove this Banner Ad

Footballers who were disloyal and chased the almighty dollar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back