Footscray Football Club in meltdown

Remove this Banner Ad

I have supported the FFC since i was born, i have an old 80s logo tat on my arm and red white and blue in my blood. We as a club have had many dramas over the times but for the last 10 years we have been pretty stable.

BUT Do not have any doubts the football club is in meltdown. I do not blame Aker for this, sure he has caused a drama or 3 but this is what you get with Aker.

Past players are fighting with other past players on this issue, current players are fighting current players not to mention the in fighting with in the clubs own board.

So the question i put to you the AFL general public is what should be the clubs move from a outsiders point of view? What should we Footscray Fans expect? I created a thread on the Dogs board calling for Smorgon to be sacked due to a few key issues at the club and it seems like most disagree with this so id like to see the independent thought on this.

Without David Smorgon's input and lifeline, your club would've gone down the gurgler a long time ago. He can be a bit of a tosser, a bit reactive and occasionally petty, but put plain and simply, he is the best Prez you ever had.

Your club has rebuilt their training and social club facilities at the Whitten Oval; they've expanded their membership and corporate support; they've kept pace with the other bigger Victorian clubs; they've had a succession of good smart coaches and brilliant support staff; they've played finals regularly and now, they are knocking on the door of a Grand Final. Possibly your first GF in 49 years!!! The Bulldogs are in better shape than at any stage in their history.

I realise this whole Akermanis saga has been unedifying, but why would you place a question mark against Smorgon, Eade and the Bulldog regime over this minor distraction, when they have positioned your club to achieve the ultimate?

If I was you, I'd simply say, "Aka? Who's Aka?" and then enjoy the next three months

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon says every single player at the club was behind the decision to axe controversial star Jason Akermanis.

The Dogs sensationally sacked Akermanis yesterday for what it said were ongoing breaches of trust by the three-time premiership player.

Smorgon today said that move was backed across the club.

"That was the unanimous view of every player on the list, that they did not want Jason," Smorgon said on SEN radio.

"That coincided with the view of the match committee, and that coincided with the view of James Fantasia and the administration, and the board ratified that yesterday.

"Every sector of the club was unanimous in making this decision."

If you say so BOSS.

Imagine that - every single person in the club wanted him gone. What a load of rubbish. Does Smorgan think people are stupid.

The whole season re Aker has been handled terribly by the Bulldogs and that window of opportunity for a flag if just about gone. This year is over.

I have supported the FFC since i was born, i have an old 80s logo tat on my arm and red white and blue in my blood. We as a club have had many dramas over the times but for the last 10 years we have been pretty stable.

BUT Do not have any doubts the football club is in meltdown. I do not blame Aker for this, sure he has caused a drama or 3 but this is what you get with Aker.

Past players are fighting with other past players on this issue, current players are fighting current players not to mention the in fighting with in the clubs own board.

So the question i put to you the AFL general public is what should be the clubs move from a outsiders point of view? What should we Footscray Fans expect? I created a thread on the Dogs board calling for Smorgon to be sacked due to a few key issues at the club and it seems like most disagree with this so id like to see the independent thought on this.

I think you are over-reacting and having a meltdown yourself. :eek:

I wouldn't agree with the strident.
My original post focussed on the fact that, in my view, FFC has handled the legal/industrial relations side of things brilliantly. I don't think I made any call about whether it was the right or wrong decision to get rid of him - I (like every other poster here) simply would not know whether it was right or wrong, and would not have the foggiest idea of what has occurred and what FFC based their decision on.
My secondary point is that I think the Club will come out of it well - far better than if Akermanis had stayed. But then, only time will tell and my opinion is no better informed about the future than anyone else.

That's the point - no one outside the Western Bulldogs knows the full extent of what led to this event, but it would not have been a decision reached lightly or impulsively.

Non-conformity is frowned down upon heavily on the bulldogs board and indeed in the club so it seems.

Yes it certainly is, at the club. A united front is essential if we are to reach our goal. Don't you understand that?

Yea interesting.

I dare say when the captain tells you that a book is being written where half of you are going to be portrayed in an negative way, you'd all agree he had to go.

Problem is, it sounds like that was total bullshit.

Loaded question and saying the whole group is behind it is a fallacy.

Please give proof of that statement. Obviously it doesn't fit in with your version of what's happened.

Continue to play Aker in the twos and have him crap on week after week about how he should be in the side, is in our best 5 players, let him continue to take potshots at the club on the radio egged on by his 'mate' Steve Price ....him playing the 'poor Aker' act and his mate Sam Newman ambushing Cooney on the footy show coz Aker didn't like the dressing down he'd copped from his team mates. Would you put up with this shit at your club? It was an untenable situation, and he had to go.

The reality is Aker was in a group of 4 or 5 players (Eagleton, Moles, Wood, Everitt, Hahn) fighting for the last couple of spots in our 22. We looked slow with him in our team this year and people who think he would have made a difference to our finals chances have obviously not watched us play this year (or watched his performances in the finals the last two years). The guy was slow , could no longer make it to contests or apply enough defensive pressure ...the amount of times younger players burnt him off this year made it obvious he was liability . Sad but true. You can only play one of Aker , Johnson or Hahn in our forward line without looking waaaaaaay too slow. Johnno has kept his pace while the other's haven't.

If Aker had his ego under control like any other player on our list and was happy to take his medicine in the two's and fight for a spot back in the best 22, then yeah play him in the twos and see what happens. Problem is the guy is delusional and his ego would never allow this to happen. Better an ex player crapping on about how he was hard done by than a current player who the club has to constantly answer for.

It's got nothing to do with 'everyone having to conform' or 'no one tolerating individuals' or any of that horseshit. Some of the best clubs ever had players that couldn't stand each other. The difference is they still had a common goal, and put the club, and it's prioritys, first. Difference in this situation is that Aker comes first , second, third with the best interests of the club a distant fourth or fifth or god knows where.

Everybody, read this post ^^^. (I know you won't, it might upset your cherished pet theories. :rolleyes:)

The whole season re Aker has been handled terribly by the Bulldogs and that window of opportunity for a flag if just about gone. This year is over.

The only team that the season is over for is your team mate !:cool:

Just to bring you up to speed:
1- Aker wrote an article
2- Club approve it
3- Aker changes it and it's published without approval
4- Negative publicity
5- Aker told the club 'It was changed by others'
6- Herald Sun deny it
7- Aker confesses he wrote and admits he lied to club
8- Aker punished for breaches of trust and lying to club and leadership group and coaching staff

Great summary. Keep going up to #- Aker sacked.

9- Aker demoted to VFL
10- ???
11- ???
12 - ???

Genuinely interested.

Hudson also wanted him gone what does that tell you?

Hudson is a dribbler?

Trust me i have more then enough support on the issue for it to come to a log ahead come AGM time.

youre nuts and slightly bizzare CGS. It sounds like you are on some kind of crusade over something everyone could see comming for months.

What exactly is the problem? Ageing, Troublemaking player who had had many prior warnings gets sacked. So what? Some old farts in the background make a bit of noise about it.. so what? Ok, its unfortunate, especially as he was once a good contributor - but it hardly constitutes a 'meltdown'.... it sounds velike your being over melodramatic about it all.... especially if you think its enough of an issue that someone has to get on a sopabox at the AGM about it..

Imagine that - every single person in the club wanted him gone. What a load of rubbish. Does Smorgan think people are stupid.

Ouch.

Enjoy the spoon.

Not sure Barry Hall would be feeling too secure as he arrived at Whitten Oval under the same circumstances.(A problem child from another club)

Barry's time will come and I think he now realizes this is the sort of support he can expect when the sh*t hits the fan.

Not sure Barry Hall would be feeling too secure as he arrived at Whitten Oval under the same circumstances.(A problem child from another club)

Barry's time will come and I think he now realizes this is the sort of support he can expect when the sh*t hits the fan.

What tripe. Barry hall is actually appreciative of the opportunity presented to him. Was aker? The shit did hit the fan around Barry some weeks back - I think you'll find every player in the joint wanted to contribute towards the fine imposed on him.

Hall has earnt respect and trust from the playing group. Akermanis didn't give a rats arse about anyone or anything but akermanis, hence the outcome that has occurred.

Best move this club's made in a long time and makes me proud to be a supporter.

If getting rid of Akermanis is the best move your club has made in a long time you seriously need to do some re-evaluating

How can you be proud when you havent won a premiership since 1954? Are you proud that your team chokes in the finals every time they get there?

Hilarious reading the claim by the Dogs president that everyone in the club was universal in their opinion that they wanted Aker gone ...he must think people are stupid.

Staggering statement by a club president.

The whole Aker saga has been handled terribly by the Dogs ...lets hope it doesn't come back to bite them on the arse. (no pun intended)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a guy who was supposed to help us win a flag he failed in both the prelims he played for us with an amazing 0 goals.

His form was shit and still felt the need to declare himself in the top 5 dog players which he isn't and even has a go at a young player who pretty much kept him quiet in a vfl game. People around him (ex manager, Teammates and co.) are saying aker is kidding himself if he didn't see it coming.

What tripe. Barry hall is actually appreciative of the opportunity presented to him. Was aker? The shit did hit the fan around Barry some weeks back - I think you'll find every player in the joint wanted to contribute towards the fine imposed on him.

Hall has earnt respect and trust from the playing group. Akermanis didn't give a rats arse about anyone or anything but akermanis, hence the outcome that has occurred.

But this is why Brisbane and Aka parted ways.
His attitude was always common knowledge!

Your club new this and took a punt.
Your punt has now backfired.
To blame AKA when you new this could be the outcome is ludicrous.
My question is will Barry suffer the same fate?

i thought it was actually handled relatively well by the bulldogs. they decided that akre wasn't part of their finals plans, and it would have been a week to week saga as to whether he'd be recalled. they asked him to retire, as clubs do, but he was too proud to.

but, on smorgon, 14 years is probably too long to be a club president.

Akers going to come out the other end looking better than Brad Johnson.

All Im hearing on the news is how Johnson turned the players against
Aker - about his book release and ragging certain players out.
Now that Aker is strongly voicing that had no intentions of doing
that, it now looks that Brad Johnson had ulterior motives.

Dogs will be dogs.

Keep your chin up Aker, you got the runs on the board.

Sounds like Johnno was probably worried about his spot leading in to the Finals. Kill off Aker and it's all sorted.

DOG ACT IMO

Sounds like Johnno was probably worried about his spot leading in to the Finals. Kill off Aker and it's all sorted.

DOG ACT IMO

lmao, Johnson has been good in all the games he played except round 1 vs Collingwood.

Aker's form this year is delist worthy, aker will have a difficult time keeping eagleton or moles out of the side let alone Johnno.

lmao, Johnson has been good in all the games he played except round 1 vs Collingwood.

Aker's form this year is delist worthy, aker will have a difficult time keeping eagleton or moles out of the side let alone Johnno.

Johnno has been bloody awful this year. Aker has been ok in bursts, but playing injured hasn't helped.

Aker has a lot more to offer the side, and is made of the right stuff when it matters. Johnno goes missing in big games and will be a liability. Just you wait and see.

I know who I'd rather play against in a big match.

Johnno has been bloody awful this year. Aker has been ok in bursts, but playing injured hasn't helped.

Aker has a lot more to offer the side, and is made of the right stuff when it matters. Johnno goes missing in big games and will be a liability. Just you wait and see.

You are a moron if you dont recognize that Johnsons form > aker's this year, aker 2 goals in 10 games with minimal impact, johnno 5 goals in 7 games as well as having more goal assists despite playing less games.

Big games?
Johnson was bog vs Geelong in aker's 300th last year
He was also very good against St Kilda in last years Prelim booting 2 crutch goals in a low scoring game.

Akermanis on the other hand kicked 0 goals and touched the ball a meager 14 times in the prelim.

Also dont bother bringing up aker's brisbane games, no relevance and different circumstances.

Without David Smorgon's input and lifeline, your club would've gone down the gurgler a long time ago. He can be a bit of a tosser, a bit reactive and occasionally petty, but put plain and simply, he is the best Prez you ever had.

Your club has rebuilt their training and social club facilities at the Whitten Oval; they've expanded their membership and corporate support; they've kept pace with the other bigger Victorian clubs; they've had a succession of good smart coaches and brilliant support staff; they've played finals regularly and now, they are knocking on the door of a Grand Final. Possibly your first GF in 49 years!!! The Bulldogs are in better shape than at any stage in their history.

I realise this whole Akermanis saga has been unedifying, but why would you place a question mark against Smorgon, Eade and the Bulldog regime over this minor distraction, when they have positioned your club to achieve the ultimate?

If I was you, I'd simply say, "Aka? Who's Aka?" and then enjoy the next three months

youre nuts and slightly bizzare CGS. It sounds like you are on some kind of crusade over something everyone could see comming for months.

What exactly is the problem? Ageing, Troublemaking player who had had many prior warnings gets sacked. So what? Some old farts in the background make a bit of noise about it.. so what? Ok, its unfortunate, especially as he was once a good contributor - but it hardly constitutes a 'meltdown'.... it sounds velike your being over melodramatic about it all.... especially if you think its enough of an issue that someone has to get on a sopabox at the AGM about it..

As ive stated Aker is only the issue that has brought things to a head. The clubs handling of a few things esp Player welfare in the past 5 or so years has been disgraceful.

14 years at the club is way more then enough, i do not question the good work that Smorgon has done in the past but the passion and commitment is not there like it use to be. Its hard to be 100% committed to the club when you are out of the country every 2nd week.

In fighting with in the club is at an all time high and it has clearly effected our on field season. Someone has to take the blame, and the fish rots at the head.

What a disgrace!

The decision to sack Aker is nothing more than confirmation that this club will never amount to anything more than being a minnow in the AFL.

I live a stone's throw from the Western Oval and the locals are disgusted and ashamed by this.

Smorgon, your days in the top job are numbered.

So aker playing ok due to injury is acceptable but johnson who has played better and is also playing injured get's ignored? Ok buddy.

Big game player who hasn't performed for the dogs in the finals while johnson did. Aker 0 in the prem last yr and 0 in the yr before. Atleast johnson could kick goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footscray Football Club in meltdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back