Scandal Former player suing AFL over racial abuse, sexual harassment

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah they were public acts that were dealt with
the question is more in relation to the ones that were not made public, how he was treated privately and how he was treated for having an issue with how he was treated privately from what I can gather

as for locker room banter, well the people having a laugh often think its fun, those being laughed at not so much

I think the point is the public ones are the ones where the AFL would be expected to act. And they did.

The locker room ones come down to what complaints were made to the Suns coaching staff/management and how the Suns coaching staff/management responded, and whether that led to changes in the behaviour of the players.

yeah they were public acts that were dealt with
the question is more in relation to the ones that were not made public, how he was treated privately and how he was treated for having an issue with how he was treated privately from what I can gather

as for locker room banter, well the people having a laugh often think its fun, those being laughed at not so much

Will be interesting if it gets to court and ex-teammates are called as witnesses.

He's also claiming a conspiracy by the AFL and other clubs:
Mr Wilkinson also claims he was not offered future employment with the AFL, the Gold Coast Suns or other clubs because he spoke up about racism against him and because of his association with other players who were also subjected to racial discrimination.
Hope he has some evidence.

The guy has massive tickets on himself, expecting to get drafted at 25 after playing another sport overseas.

'Unfinished business' leads defender back home after NFL stint

014681-joel-wilkinson.jpg

Come off it mate, get a kick first.

Last edited:

My advice to anyone who plans on launching one of these types of legal actions .... is don't.

It will go on forever, you will have years and years of sleepless nights and stress, and the only people who get rich will be your lawyer(s).

The strategy might be to make it public to force a settlement

Last edited:
I think the point is the public ones are the ones where the AFL would be expected to act. And they did.

The locker room ones come down to what complaints were made to the Suns coaching staff/management and how the Suns coaching staff/management responded, and whether that led to changes in the behaviour of the players.
I think that is the point, he doesn't feel the club or the AFL did enough, and the AFL is also an employer of the players with how it is setup
Be like having your branch manager and head office both tell you to stop sooking about getting harassed by your co workers

Will be interesting if it gets to court and ex-teammates are called as witnesses.

He's also claiming a conspiracy by the AFL and other clubs:
may come down to other issues that aren't public or perhaps he was told by certain other clubs they didn't want him on their list because he'd cause to much trouble

Alright lads, hands up who would hate to be teased for having a huge penis?

Anyone?
Am a "show-er". Yes everyone has a big one online but being serious for a second.

What happened to me was a joke among mates that led to an over-estimation of erect size based on flaccid size. A footlong meme but this was not near the reality. This would sound funny but any female friend in the group I would feel hesitant to hook up with because of having too much reputation to live up to. If not for that I could feel confident to get the gear off with women in my friends group and they would be very pleased with what was there. I would also feel self conscious pissing next to a mate in a pub and would prefer a cubicle etc. Sounds stupid but that is the impact it had on me.

In saying that initiating litigation for that reason seems pretty stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't a bloke who accuses another bloke of sexual harassment really just a homophobe? Given his religion, the opposing counsel is going to make him very uncomfortable.

Isn't a bloke who accuses another bloke of sexual harassment really just a homophobe? Given his religion, the opposing counsel is going to make him very uncomfortable.
Sexual harrasment is just that, gender of the person harrasing you doesnt change the fact that its harrasment

Feeling sexually harrased doesnt have to be linked to homophobia or man hating or religion

Sexual harrasment is just that, gender of the person harrasing you doesnt change the fact that its harrasment

Feeling sexually harrased doesnt have to be linked to homophobia or man hating or religion
You are right, but it won't stop the AFL's lawyers from using it against him.

I think they get sucked in by hearing things like 'no win, no fee'. What they dont realise is that they probably will win something, and then there will be a fee ... a very very big one.
A competent lawyer is transparent with their client about the possible range of fees (depending on how far the matter goes) and what the uplift is. The uplift compensates the firm for having a 'no win no fee' offering.

Easy to believe there is actually a case to answer considering the reactions in here.

Wasn't going to comment as to any guilt but considering everyone has assumed Wilkinson is just being overly sensitive and the boys just said he had a massive dick c`mon who would get upset about that?!! Has anyone considered the possibility of him being exposed (i.e pantsed) so they could see if being black meant he did have a big dick etc. Maybe a young guy didn't feel comfortable with a bunch of guys he didn't quite know yet wanting to talk and harass him about his dick. Anyone who has played footy knows that sort of stuff is not unlikely.

Plenty of good reasons he could deserve a payout over harassment claims. Of course he may just be looking for money but I don't see the need to discuss that side as it has been plenty discussed already.

Shine stated the afl are all about hush money.
Shine want the facts to be public.
Could be interesting.

Would love to know how many so called 'hush money' arrangements Shine has been a party to.

IF they want to play hardball I hope they have advised their client that he could end up in a world of financial hurt if he loses.

they are the employer who provided the unsafe work environment by allowing it to happen

AFL and clubs have allowed this sort of thing to go on for years, they've been able to keep it behind closed doors for a long time, it's all starting to come out now though
'unsafe' is overreach

to use fallacy weasel word, p'raps the American civil law retribution society has exported snowflakes to shores afar

feminists Greer and Paul is advise to not seek authority to solve one's woes

No, if Law firm don’t think they will win the case they will not take it on.

Wrong.

Strategy is to shake the tree and get a settlement. AFL's insurers likely to pay go away money. Lawyers recommend acceptance, with costs.

If client refuses, and a weak case to litigate, lawyers then likely to rescind no win/no cost deal and ask for cash to be placed in trust fund. Client then gets real.

Without wishing to pre-empt the result of any court case, during his brief career this bloke had a serious case of the Harry O's.

The only thing that cut his career short was a patent lack of ability.

Why would this be heard first up in the HRC? Missus was involved in a case involving a pregnant person which ended up there after she failed through normal channels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Former player suing AFL over racial abuse, sexual harassment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back