Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it would certainly be galling to lose somebody of Buddy's calibre for a single mediocre draft pick, personally I don't think there should be any compensation for free agency departures. Surely it will head that way eventually.

Should buddy decide to go, the key task in front of our recruiters is to ensure that we pick up at least one quality free agent as well IMO.

There should have never been compo picks attached to free agency. Once they did, they compromised the legitimacy of the whole process. Now it's a half baked, move the goal post when NSW/QLD are affected.

Take pick 20 and move on

What I find most galling is `experts' talking about how it would be `good for the game' if Buddy were to go to GWS. They're ignoring our passion and loyalty as supporters of both our club and the game in general. It infuriates me how they selectively rely on our passion and loyalty when it suits - just think of the current ad featuring fans running onto the ground when Buddy kicked 100 - but then they're dismissive and treat us as mere peasants when they want to go into `business mode'. They can't have it both ways. It's not just a business.

Buddy to GWS gets readers. It isn't sexy when a player stays...especially when it's a superstar.

The vultures love rubbernecking on car crashes...this is a car crash and heads are all over the place

While it would certainly be galling to lose somebody of Buddy's calibre for a single mediocre draft pick, personally I don't think there should be any compensation for free agency departures. Surely it will head that way eventually.

Should buddy decide to go, the key task in front of our recruiters is to ensure that we pick up at least one quality free agent as well IMO.

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment, if it was a level playing field. Geelong with Ablett didnt have the AFL offering ambassadorial money on top of the extra salary cap space they already had.

Yeah, but we can't match the offer, so where does that leave us?

We don't know that yet. We only need to match what GWS are offering, not the money he's going to get from the AFL etc. If it's around 1.5m we might be able to match it temporarily, in order to manufacture a trade.

Yeah, but we can't match the offer, so where does that leave us?

My understanding with all the talk is that the $9m for 6 years or whatever factors in the "Ambassador" payments from the AFL. The thing is that we don't have to match that. So, more likely the GWS offer will be something like $1m a year, which is what we have to match.

Still not sure we would want to do that, but this is the reason that GWS may be willing to trade (especially as they will have trouble using all the picks they have or retaining all the young players).

If GWS are smart, they may identify a player that wants out and use him as the bargaining chip.

If we are smart we get Whitfield to start agitating now ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't know that yet. We only need to match what GWS are offering, not the money he's going to get from the AFL etc. If it's around 1.5m we might be able to match it temporarily, in order to manufacture a trade.
Ok, fair enough. But as mentioned a little earlier today by someone else, what if they call our bluff?

Look guys the Compensation is 2 fold - 1st Round Pick plus and this is more important - salary cap space of $1M that is created.

As a powerful destination club with money in the cap you can be assured that several GWS, Gold Coast and Others youngsters PLUS a couple of free agency types will be targeted in 2013 and 2014. We have been able to entice players without the cap space i.e. Gunston .

If Buddy going is inevitable, then I like to look at it as the glass half full too. If he stays, well that's a win too. No good worrying about things we can't control, and we know we can't win with Vlad on the opposition side.
We are Hawthorn we will prevail. Vlad makes mistakes. Look at the draw the AFL handed us. Their reckoning would be we would be struggling at this point of the season, and, like last year, be tired and only 90% fit come finals. WOW! How that has backfired!

So let's just concentrate now on 2013, and let the future take care of itself.

My understanding with all the talk is that the $9m for 6 years or whatever factors in the "Ambassador" payments from the AFL. The thing is that we don't have to match that. So, more likely the GWS offer will be something like $1m a year, which is what we have to match.

Still not sure we would want to do that, but this is the reason that GWS may be willing to trade (especially as they will have trouble using all the picks they have or retaining all the young players).

If GWS are smart, they may identify a player that wants out and use him as the bargaining chip.

If we are smart we get Whitfield to start agitating now ;)
Wrong
Damien Barrett said last week the offer of $9mil over 6 years was all from their salary cap, and with the ambassador role it jumps to $10 mil!
We have to match $9mil over 6 years

Wrong
Damien Barrett said last week the offer of $9mil over 6 years was all from their salary cap, and with the ambassador role it jumps to $10 mil!
Sheesh, almost 2 million a year is a ridiculous amount of money for any player. Given the way Franklin's been playing this year I question if he's even worth half that for his on-field performances. (yes we all know how marketable he is)

Yeah, good call. That "marketing allowance" does muddy the waters in this case.
Call me jaded and suspicious, but I wouldn't put anything past Vlad trying to get Franklin to GWS.

He'd be the perfect marketing tool not just for GWS but for football in general in Sydney and that would translate into more TV revenue (Sydney's by far the largest untapped AFL market in the country) thus a larger TV rights deal next time around which would probably mean a larger bonus for Demitrou himself.

What's to stop Vlad calling up Andrew Newbold at the end of the season and giving him a "friendly" warning that unless the club let's Franklin go to GWS we can expect another horror draw next season?

Wrong
And no Victorian club can match that, including us... Some fools were ringing SEN this morning saying that it's up to clubs to manage their lists properly, and if clubs can't afford to pay players what they're worth, then they should lose them. But this totally ignores the point that GWS has extra money!!

Call me jaded and suspicious, but I wouldn't put anything past Vlad trying to get Franklin to GWS.

He'd be the perfect marketing tool not just for GWS but for football in general in Sydney and that would translate into more TV revenue (Sydney's by far the largest untapped AFL market in the country) thus a larger TV rights deal next time around which would probably mean a larger bonus for Demitrou himself.

What's to stop Vlad calling up Andrew Newbold at the end of the season and giving him a "friendly" warning that unless the club let's Franklin go to GWS we can expect another horror draw next season?

Empty threat! we already expect we will get a shit FIXture next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back