Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
true but he did kick 5 would someone else have kicked those goals or would no one have kicked them etc i guess that we will never know how it would of panned out with out Bud in the side that day really but it is possible that we could have lost it if he was not

Well that's pretty much the point I was making :thumbsu: You take Buddy out and he is of course replaced with someone else. That other person (a forward likely) should be good for at least 1 goal (which would've been enough to win minus Buddy's 5 goals) and you wouldn't think they'd be any more fumbly with the ball than Bud was in the first half. But does that other person bring all that other stuff Buddy brings to the table like drawing 2-3 defenders, high intensity forward pressure and a heap of goal assists that all up resulted in plenty more goals than Buddy directly gets credit for? I don't think there is anyone else on the list who brings all that except for one Cyril Rioli, who is out injured anyway.

Well that's pretty much the point I was making :thumbsu: You take Buddy out and he is of course replaced with someone else. That other person (a forward likely) should be good for at least 1 goal (which would've been enough to win minus Buddy's 5 goals) and you wouldn't think they'd be any more fumbly with the ball than Bud was in the first half. But does that other person bring all that other stuff Buddy brings to the table like drawing 2-3 defenders, high intensity forward pressure and a heap of goal assists that all up resulted in plenty more goals than Buddy directly gets credit for? I don't think there is anyone else on the list who brings all that except for one Cyril Rioli, who is out injured anyway.
Cool , had a feeling it was i suppose i was just putting what you said in my words sorry glad i was basically saying the same :)

Has anyone seen the latest joke of article on AFL.com.au.

What if Lance Franklin 'did a LeBron James

For anyone that follows the NBA, will understand that LeBrons 'The Decision' was a complete and utter PR disaster. He immediately went from one of the most loved players in the NBA to one of the most hated.

So this idiot Damian Barrett thinks 'The Decision', a proven disaster is actually a good idea, particularly in a place like Australia that has always had a case of tall poppy syndrome. Buddy would easily be the most hated player in the AFL if he did that.

Another terrible and embarrassing article from the AFL.com dream team of Damian Barrett/Matt Thompson.

I

For anyone that follows the NBA, will understand that LeBrons 'The Decision' was a complete and utter PR disaster. He immediately went from one of the most loved players in the NBA to one of the most hated.

So this idiot Damian Barrett thinks 'The Decision', a proven disaster is actually a good idea, particularly in a place like Australia that has always had a case of tall poppy syndrome. Buddy would easily be the most hated player in the AFL if he did that.

Another terrible and embarrassing article from the AFL.com dream team of Damian Barrett/Matt Thompson.
It's a hilarious article, absolutely farcical that he thinks that would go down well in our society, why don't we also just stock all our K Marts with AK 47's???

We do have a precedent though, anyone remember dunstalls decision retire or play on announced exclusively on live n kicking??? What a putrid show that was.

Saw that and did a face palm. He's basically saying "wouldn't it be great if one of the league's superstars spat on their fans and took a massive dump on them before leaving, would be great for the league, here's some random ranting on how AFL players are robots".

And he gets paid for that.

Saw that and did a face palm. He's basically saying "wouldn't it be great if one of the league's superstars spat on their fans and took a massive dump on them before leaving, would be great for the league, here's some random ranting on how AFL players are robots".

And he gets paid for that.

Remember when he wrote a piece fantasising he was Jeff Kennett after Clarko punched the wall and then said a rude word at a junior footy match?

I believe Hawthorns biggest chance to retain Buddy would be to offer a big 2/3 year deal. It'd be hard to pass up the current state of the sides list and potential to be dominant for around 3 more seasons. In 3 seasons time we'll surely have to rebuild our midfield too. Following a 2/3 year deal and potentially more premiership success, he could chase money at GWS when they've actually developed into a competitive side.

A huge mistake GWS are making is thinking Buddy is a) going to make them more competitive in the short term and b) thinking he'll attract more spectators when they're being flogged by 80 points each week in Australia's biggest bandwagoning city.

Too early for GWS and too early to leave the hawks.

Anyone else hear what Sheedy said today?
If Buddy isn't 100% committed to making GWS a powerhouse in a few years then they will look elsewhere for players!
Is this Sheedy's "get out clause" if he doesn't get what he wants?
Does he know something we don't?

Of course he does. He knows what his clubs real position is.
The question is has GWS actually even spoken to Buddy or his manager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is growing belief the star forward is genuinely considering leaving Waverley for a possible $10 million deal over six years at Greater Western Sydney.
The AFL yesterday confirmed Hawthorn would not receive two first-round draft picks, which was the case for Geelong and Melbourne when Gary Ablett and Tom Scully left for expansion clubs.
Under free agency rules, the Hawks would be entitled to one first-round draft pick for Franklin, 26.
Hawthorn's compensation pick would slide further if Melbourne were awarded a priority draft selection to help lift the battling Dees.
While that is likely to enrage Hawthorn supporters, there is a strong push from some clubs, such as Geelong, and the AFL Players' Association to scrap free agency compensation altogether.
An option open to Hawthorn is to try to trade its 196cm spearhead for greater reward.
Hawthorn would prefer to get an early answer from Franklin on his plans, but club chiefs are now content to wait until the end of the season.
Football director Jason Dunstall said Hawthorn could not match a lucrative offer from GWS. The club's best offer would be in the vicinity of $1 million a season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...217s-premiership/story-fni5f8ge-1226658095130

So should the game’s highest profile player stay at Hawthorn, continue to play finals, continue to chase premierships, continue to start the pre-season with realistic hopes of playing on the final day of AFL season, continue to consistently sing the team song after a win?
Or should Buddy go?

It would speak volumes if he showed loyalty and shunned more money to stay a Hawk.;)

Utter crap we would only be entitled to one end of first round draft pick. AFL have created this situation and it's no different from the poachings of Ablett and Scully by the expansion teams. It's also a joke that if the Western Bulldogs were to lose Cooney for around a 650ish amount they could receive pick 3-5 as compensation. Melbourne could lose Sylvia and get a compensation pick two-five picks after our Franklin compensation pick. Shit system :thumbsdown:

I dont like how much League and Union banter Buddy takes part in in his Twitter feed. He sounds like he loves his rugby click and most of his friends are Sydney based and involved in rugby. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing for the wallabies next season.

You wonder if Franklin has his heart set on a move and a fatter pay cheque whether he wouldn't be loyal enough to Hawthorn to ask that GWS trade him instead of take him as a free agent? It is certainly no skin off his nose in doing so.

At least this way Hawthorn would be amply compensated. The thought of getting pick #20 in return for a guy like Buddy Franklin just doesn't sit too well with me and nor should it with Buddy who has admitted himself that he has been looked after very well by the club.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/la...217s-premiership/story-fndv8os9-1226658095130

Look guys the Compensation is 2 fold - 1st Round Pick plus and this is more important - salary cap space of $1M that is created.

As a powerful destination club with money in the cap you can be assured that several GWS, Gold Coast and Others youngsters PLUS a couple of free agency types will be targeted in 2013 and 2014. We have been able to entice players without the cap space i.e. Gunston .

clubs need to start to try and resign players a year before their contract expires. If the player is unwilling to sign then you must work towards a trade. This game is changing fast and i believe its for the worst. The competition will be in crisis mode within 5 years.

I think the Hawthorn offer will set him up for life. As much as GWS can throw at him, Hawthorn are offering a significant amount of money which may be increased. I hope he chooses Hawthorn over that plastic club.

I can understand guys on 300k leaving for 450-500k offers. However Buddy Franklin is going to be offered 5million over 5 years at Hawthorn when it comes down to it.

If he can't live a satisfying life with that coin he has the wrong people around him advising him how to use his $$$.

Even Still, we must match GWS' offer. If they want him that bad they will still trade for him. We must get this to trade week and demand Whitfield or pick 1.
Both!

clubs need to start to try and resign players a year before their contract expires. If the player is unwilling to sign then you must work towards a trade. This game is changing fast and i believe its for the worst. The competition will be in crisis mode within 5 years.

Pretty much this.. Not many high profile players see out the end of their contracts in other professional sports, the club's aren't stupid enough to be left high and dry. Look all the way back at Edmonton Oilers offloading Wayne Gretzky to LA Kings. FYI he was the best NHL player, Oilers couldn't afford him and couldn't afford not to get anything for him. Buddy holding out for offers suggests he will push the club for every last penny it can offer.

Either sign them up early or ship them off and get compensation... better than getting squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back