News Fraser worth a third-round pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

jtrain_93

Draftee
Oct 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood will receive a third-round pick for 200 game player Josh Fraser as compensation for the Gold Coast signing him up.

Surely a ruckman who was also a no.1 draft pick in the past is worth more than this. The Gold Coast couldn't possibly have started the 2011 season without an experienced AFL ruckman. What were they going to do, send 18 year old kids in the ruck against Sandilands and Jolly? At 28 Fraser is not young but he has experience that I would have thought is worth its weight in gold to a new team. Add to this his leadership credentials (was once tipped to be COllingwood captain). He will without a doubt be an extremely valuable addition to the Suns side and the club in general.

Brisbane received a first round pick for Jared Brennan, an inconsistent flashy player.

Am I the only one who thinks Fraser is worth more than what we're getting?

I think a 3rd round pick is probably par for the course.

Remember that whilst being the no 1 pick is taken in to account, so are his age, his performance in the recent b and f (which we haven't had), his age, how much the GC are paying him (clearly not much) and various other bits and pieces.

I was hoping for a second round pick but accept that a third rounder is probably fair.

Pretty fair IMO, Brennan is worth a first round, has added consistency to his game.

Fraser has done stuff all all season, if GC didn't take him we would not have received any compensation, 3 cheers for GC!

I think the Fraser deal is fair, but for the life of me I can't figure out how Jarred Brennan is worth a first round pick.

Fraser = 3rd round
Brennan = 2nd round

AFL has its fingerprints all over this. Brisbane need salary cap relief, Gold Coast needs players and AFL needs expanded national competition in Qld to succeed. Wins everywhere.

It's a crock of ....

3rd rounder is a fair enough pick for Fraser. Was only a fringe player this year so can't expect a 1st or 2nd round pick IMO. Good luck to Josh hope he enjoys life on the Gold Coast.

Ridiculous to say he's worth more than a 3rd round pick. Josh Fraser on the open market is not worth a 5th round pick. A lot of clubs wouldn't take Fraser for free. A 3rd round pick is a vast overpayment if anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that Fraser is worth a 3rd rounder, but I question an formula that deems Brennan to be a 1st rounder other than perhaps the value of his GC contract.

Never AA, never a high place getter in B&F and being a #3 pick this far along in his career is about as relevant as Fraser being a #1

Fraser in the open market with a trade wouldn't have netted a 3rd rounder, so I think we should be pleased.

More relevant tbh. Where you were taken in a draft is pretty irrelevant once there are 200 games of senior football upon which to make a judgement of your worth as a player. And in terms of Collingwood getting compensation for its #1 pick - getting a player who went on to play 200 games is pretty good compensation.

I'd call it a win win. I'm sure age has something to do with how its calculated. Josh will be lucky to play another 40 games. Jarred could play another 140.

Good pick ups for the GC I'm sure by the time Josh hangs up his boots the GC will have a couple of young gorillas ready to go.

I was hoping for a 2nd rounder but 3rd is a decent deal. In all likelihood we would have lost him for nothing and kept him on when he is little chance to play for us again unless 2 of Jolly, Wood and l.Brown went down.

I think the compensation has to do with the contract size and the age of the player.

All the best Josh.

No one else would have picked him up, so no cause for complaint - notwithstanding other compo anomolies. Could be a handy pick.

No one else would have picked him up, so no cause for complaint - notwithstanding other compo anomolies. Could be a handy pick.

Slightly harsh, someone would have slotted him as a backup if delisted. The OP suggestion being a number 1 pick now holds some currency is tugging it a bit though.

just remember the trade value of the third round pick......e.g trading this to west coast in 2010 is worth way more to them as it becomes the first pick after their third round pick...it is has trade value worth more than Josh on the open market probably..or a club that has traded for three high picks, gets a lot of value with this trade...

it becomes a trading bargain for us.

Slightly harsh, someone would have slotted him as a backup if delisted. The OP suggestion being a number 1 pick now holds some currency is tugging it a bit though.

Yeah, should have re-phrased, may have been picked up, but not for anything of value to us.

just remember the trade value of the third round pick......e.g trading this to west coast in 2010 is worth way more to them as it becomes the first pick after their third round pick...it is has trade value worth more than Josh on the open market probably..or a club that has traded for three high picks, gets a lot of value with this trade...

it becomes a trading bargain for us.

Is that right? Thought it had shifting value for us depending on what year we activated it, but thought it was locked in at 61 if traded onto another club in 2010. If you're right, that is a boon.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Fraser worth a third-round pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back