Frees for and frees against

Remove this Banner Ad

You're allowed to position yourself in front of other mids. Always have been.

In the case of a mid doing the same to a ruckman, or a player attempting to go 3rd man up, it's deemed illegal shepherding as the player being blocked is allowed to contest the ruck. A free kick in that situation is given and is justified.

There's no one size fits all rule. Blocking the path of a mid is different to that of blocking a player contesting the ruck.

My mistake, so the umps just love the eagles regardless of ladder positions.

On an unrelated note, I wonder what the eagles do with all that leftover cash from their massive profits every year.

Haha :thumbsu:
Few factors:

-Cox led the AFL in frees for last year I believe. He draws frees from ruck contests like no other. Not his fault they love to grapple onto him.
- Selwood
-Our midfield. It's very inside mid dominant. Kerr, Priddis, S.Selwood, Masten and Shuey all get down and dirty. Apart from holding the ball, that's where the frees are.
-Glass gives away hardly any frees. Back men often give away a heap.
-Our press. Put players under pressure and they are most likely to make mistakes and give away frees.
-Crowd influence at home games. It happens everywhere. Umpires get sucked into giving frees because of the crowd.
This seems to sum it up nicely, plus the whole ducking thing.

LMAO

and victorians wonder why they have a reputation of being whingers.

where was this supposed subiaco bias when we sucked in 08-09? the AFL called the conspiracy off for a couple of years?

truly hilarious.

West Coast are smart. They've had the best run with free kicks for a few years now and other clubs are just catching on. Any player is being smart trying to milk a free kick if the rules allow it - worked on the weekend for Brisbane Roar and it works every weekend for West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Frees for and frees against

Remove this Banner Ad

Back